steve1

collapsing your slider

I know this is a really basic question, but I'd really appreciate your input. The canopies that I have jumped in the past had fixed sliders and large risers. I just got a new hornet canopy with a collapsible slider. I've been putting things together. I also bought a set of mini-risers with dive loops....(they look awful tiny). But anyway I was wondering what is the proper way to collapse the slider after opening. I assembled things using metal links and plastic bumpers. I'll probably get some slinks later. The slider has two draw strings. I assume you pull both of these first and then pull the slider down past your toggles. Will it stay behind your head? Will the slider clear the plastic bumpers okay? I'm using the same bumpers and links that came with the canopy from the factory. I've seen pictures of some guys who have the slider under their chin. Is this better than behind your head? I plan on having someone check over my handy work before I jump it to make sure everything is assembled right, and get some coaching on what to do when the canopy opens. Any comments on this? I'm just full of dumb questions! Thanks again. Steve

No such thing as a dumb question with regards to this sport.
Anyhow - You are correct, just yank the drawstrings until the slider is collapsed. I don't know that you'll be able to pull the slider down past the toggles while you've got the metal links and bumbers installed, if you can't at least you'll quiet the slider and that's a plus. If I were you I'd get Slinks or another soft link installed right away, you'll definitely get your slider down past the toggles with soft links. Besides the benefit of getting your slider down, soft links are stronger than the older metal links, they won't come unscrewed, and I'm sure that there are other benefits.
Finally - here's my routine at opening.
* Look up! Is it there, is it square?
* Check traffic.
* Turn towards the DZ with rear risers.
* Collapse slider.
* Pull slider behind my head.
* Release brakes and fly.
That whole routine only take a few seconds.
Good luck and enjoy the new canopy.
-
Jim

Which direction you go after opening depends on the prevailing wind direction and speed....... and the spot. This is a judgement call that will come fairly easily for most people. Heads up for traffic in your vicinity!! Its not hard to lose track of others while trying to stow your slider....... especially when your just starting out.
Jump Safe
Kent

Whether you can pull your slider down depends upon the size of your Maillon Rapide links and bumpers. #5 MR links with clear plastic bumpers are usually too fat, however, #3.5 MR links with silicone bumpers easily allow you to pull your slider down.
Stowing the slider under your chin scares me. I worry that it will come loose and blind you just before landing.I also worry about stowing your slider in Velcro behind your neck. On the off chance that some doofuss collides with you, you may have difficulty cutting away. Your best bet for stowing your slider is slider-catchers sewn onto your risers.

You don't have to pull the slider down. The slight increase in performance may not be worth the hassle and added things to worry about; you decide.
Collapsing the slider is a good idea - if you have the time and clear air to do so - because doing so reduces wear on your lower lines, not to mention quieting that irritating flapping noise. As others mentioned, don't forget to unstow it when packing and don't fixate on getting it collapsed after opening. Also be aware that it can come uncollapsed, which can be somewhat unnerving...
pull & flare,
lisa

I prefer # 4's over all other Rapide links because they are stronger than 3.5 mini's and smaller than #5's. A slider with #8 spur grommets, or 25 mm stainless grommets will go over a #4 Rapide link with no problem. As a matter of fact, all Atair canopies come as standard, #4 stainless Rapide links that incorporate a piece of 1" type 4 square weave that acts as a grommet protector.
Dave Brownell

Dave is correct; number 4's are no problem. Cloth bumpers are fine and do protect your slider grommets, but I rarely used them unless they came on my main. I use Slinks on one rig and number 4's on the other. Using Slinks, the slider will generally automatically come down over my toggles. Only bad part comes with it descends so fast it un-stows a toggle prematurely. I have had this happen, even with double-pronged velcro-less toggles.
I have slider keepers sewn to the back of every suit I own except my BirdMan GTi (and I am going to sew it on there this week). I also have a slider keeper that slips on over my reserve pin flap for when I am jumping without a jumpsuit. I have jumped a lot in the past with the slider stowed under my chin and never had a problem since the advent of the kill-line slider. Before that, you really had to roll them up to keep them from blowing open in your face.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

This sounds silly, but I cant reach my slider to collapse it half the time. I sound like a UH-1H landing.

Yeah, I have short arms, and I had that problem too. I solved it by getting shorter risers on my first rig. When I ordered my new G3 I specifically ordered the 18" risers and they are perfect for me.
Kris