Jabeln79

What can you not wear with a license??

Sure, the beauty is that we are not "totally" regulated, but (and this is just my .02) go barefoot if you want, however, be responsible and wear a helmet! It could be the difference between conscious and unconscious.
And if you choose not to wear a helmet because it "is cool", that's your right. But trust me, you'll look cooler with a helmet, be it freeflying or RW....you'll probably be respected more by your peers too!
Matt
http://www.skydiveorange.com

"open face helmets on students"

I think it's mostly just so the student and instructor can communicate a bit easier. Same for clear goggles on students. You need to see what's in their eyes. It tells a story all it's own.
"I only have 125 jumps, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

Are DZs pretty adamant about using open face helmets on students? What's the reasoning behind open face helmets for students, so they can hear better or are there other risks with a full face?

I think it's cost. Pro-tec's cost $50. Z-1's cost $225. Z-1's also really aren't that durable. You can't beat the durability of the Pro-tec.
If there wasn't a BSR for helmets, I suspect half the DZ's out there wouldn't use them once the student's off radio. Not that they aren't good things, I just think a whole lot of DZ's are too cheap. Call me a cynic, but look at how many DZ's don't evevn use frap-hats for tandems.
_Am

Call me a cynic, but look at how many DZ's don't evevn use frap-hats for tandems.

I was actually under the impression that a frap hat was actually worse than no hat - something about it provides no protection, and actually concentrates the impact area.
Again - not sure if I remember that correctly... maybe I was thinking of something else.
Anyone?
Never argue with stupid people.They just drag you down 2 their level & beat you with experience

Your right. The ribs on a Frap hat is where all the impact will be. Without a Frap the impact will be across a wider area.
Main reason I see to put to put a Tandem in a Frap is to keep their hair out of the TM'd face.
Murphy's Laws of Love - If the person isn't taken, there's a reason for that...

I provide frap hat to my TM students only when it's cold. Or if they are wearing over goggles for glasses cause it helps keep the goggles on better......

They help with the wind noise too. 120 mph is freakin loud.
Mike D-23312
"It's such a shame to spend your time away like this...existing." JMH

Joe, I think that it is DZ specific...here is an excerpt from Quantum Leap's website:
""C" LICENSED JUMPERS ARE REQUIRED TO OPEN BY 2,500' AND MAY JUMP WITHOUT A HELMET OR PROPER FOOTWEAR
"D" LICENSED JUMPERS ARE REQUIRED TO OPEN BY 2,000' AND MAY MAKE FRONT RISER LANDINGS "
Anne