Jimchamp1

Gear?

Yep!! You can buy a rig w/ cypress for 2000$ or you can buy a rig w/ cypress for 4000$. Or anywhere in between . It all depends on what gear you get, is it new, used, how old, ect. we have a couple rigs at our DZ for 1200-1500$ . Throw in the AAD and now your up to approx 2100$!!
AND before you ask what gear you should get , let me save you some trouble....DONT ASK UNTIL YOU FINISH YOUR AFF!!!:)jason

Another thing I highly suggest you go out and buy THE SKYDIVERS HANDBOOK by Dan poynter and Mike Turoff. This is a GREAT book with lots of info on just about any ?? you may have . I bought it ...read it twice befroe AFP and I still find myself going back to it for questions I may have and cant remember!!! GREAT INVESTMENT!!!!
jason

Jimmy,
BREATHE! slow down!
Start small, buy yourself a pair of goggles, maybe some gloves. That should be all you need to get through AFF.
Then work on an altimeter, helmet, and maybe a jumpsuit, depending on the type of skydiving you want to focus on. You should still be able to borrow or rent these items for a while after you graduate from AFF.
Finally, look into buying a rig. AFTER you have some jumps under your belt and a better idea what you want or need. There are so many options out there, from top of the line brank spanking new custom ordered to a nice inexpensive used rig that will fit the bill for now without breaking the bank.
But for starters, just get through AFF. Focus on that, don't stress over the gear or the money just yet. One thing at a time.......

Yeah. What Tigra said.
If the mean time - you might want to take a look through the classifieds on this site and on www.enclave.com. Don't consider buying any of it just yet, but look at the prices. See how much older gear costs and what newer gear costs.
-
Jim

Keep reading all the treads on DZ.com, you can learn a lot. Check out the classifieds and the forums on gear. Next thing you know, you will know more than you thought possible. My first rig, a 94 Javelin with a 96 Sabre 190 and and a 97 Cypres cost me $2,100 + $100 to have it totally inspected. It can be done.
Good luck, ooohhhno :-)

Don't buy a rig until you're off student status like everyone else says.
I didn't wait and I've been the not-so-proud owner of an EOS + Swift 175 + Triatholon 160 that's been sitting around for almost 2 years now.
When I start back up I'll be relining the main, buying a new container and may even need a new reserve(the swift was made in 1992). I would've saved a lot of money if I had waited until I knew more about gear before buying my rig.

>Start small, buy yourself a pair of goggles, maybe some gloves. That should be all you need to get through AFF.
>Then work on an altimeter, helmet, and maybe a jumpsuit, depending on the type of skydiving you want to focus on.
>You should still be able to borrow or rent these items for a while after you graduate from AFF.
I agree with most of this, but I would suggest that a jumpsuit be one of the first things you buy. It will help you even if you're still in AFF, because you won't have to deal with the differences in jumpsuits on each dive.
-bill von

Bah, ugly.

LOL! Shut up, you guys. It doesn't matter what his frickin' jumpsuit looks like.
I HATED using student jumpsuits, and was so glad when I finally bought a used one. It's black, maroon, and grey, clashes with my gear hardcore, has a big rip just above the arse, and I LOVE it. I'll worry about matching/looking pretty later.
Just buy a used Tony or Bev suit or something. It'll be cheap. Check the ads here, or on enclave.com.
But yeah, a jumpsuit is a good thing to have.
Pet me! I'm harmless and cute!