Jimchamp1

Expenses

Hi,
I am obviously new at all of this, so I have a lot of questions. I am saving up and hoping to get my license and gear over the summer-time. A couple questions: When I get a USPA membership would I be better off just getting the lifetime membership for $700? It seems like a better investment if I plan on doing this throughout my entire life. Second, what kind of jump suit does anyone recommend (freefly, "sudent", etc.)? I think for starters I just want to free fly, but how would I know what to get or look for. I found that several jumpsuits have a little more space in the upper chest and lower leg areas and have more like spandex fit to the middle? Is this normal/recommended? Oh, and the altimeter . . . I am finding that several have a "hand rig" for them. Where exactly do these fit? Is it like a wrist strap or no? Lastly, I figured if I want to get started I mine as well do it right and save for all my equipment as well. If I include the roughy $1200 it costs for a license, is $8000 a good amount to save and prepare for? And, what do you think is a ROUGH ESTIMATE of how much per year I should be prepared to spend on maintenance?
Thanks; sorry it's so many questions, but I really appreciate it.
BLUE SKIES,
Jimmy

Lots of questions.....Here's my measly advice. Don't buy anything more than maybe a jumpsuit (RW) altimeter, and maybe a helmet if you like open face. If you want a full face wait until you are off student status. Wait to buy gear until you at least have an A license. That will give you enough jumps to at least have an idea of canopy sizing and a container. I'm thinkin $8000 will be plenty enough even for the beer! Welcome to the sport :)"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

Let me jsut say this....I started jumping april of 2001 and now have 69 jumps. In this time I have invested $ 5000 in to skydiving. That coveres training, gear, jumps, lic and some other misc things! However prices will vary on cost of training , gear, and junp tickets!! As for what you should get equip wise thats a hole other can of wowrms. I'd ask around your DZ!!
jason

Well....
1) Lots of people say that "Never want to quit doing this", but that fact remains that the USPA has like 100000 members but only 25000 D licence holders and only like 6000 people with 1000+ jumps and 2200 with more then 2000 jumps. You do the math....
2) Learn RW before going on to freefly... RW skills will keep you alive while freefly will let you play. Get a suit customized to your fall rate for RW then after learning and getting skills, you can look at freeflying.
3) The ring goes around your fingers and velcro goes around your wrist.
4) 8000 is about 3500 more then i spent on my 225 jumps this year. First rig should be used since you will out grow it quickly in skill. You can get a great, used rig for 2500-4000. Plan on 1500 to get licenced. Most people fail a few jumps ;).
5) Depends on how many jumps and the type of gear you buy. Min is 150 for the 3 reserve repacks you need if you only jump 1 time a month.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

Yeah, I guess the second part to that sentence should be "if you know that you WILL be able to pay it in the future, and your interest rate is less than the return you can make on your $," yada yada yada.
For instance, I did prepay a Bally's membership all at once because I found out while reading the fine print that the fucking greaseballs treat the entire balance of 3 years' dues (minus your "down payment") as a loan they're extending you at like 15% interest. So you get screwed a bit if you pay monthly.
Joe

Start out w/ buying the essentials first so you're not borrowning all of the time. While I was in AFP I started out buying my own goggles, altimeter and a pair of gloves. After I graduated I would sneak into the AFP room and "borrow" a helmet and a jumpsuit for my day of jumping. I did this for about 10 jumps and I think "they" were on to me so I bought a Bonehead and jumped in my clothes (RW and FF).
My advice for a jumpsuit when your starting out is to go to Wal-Mart. I picked up a pair of windpants w/ a sweat pant liner so they are warm and a sweat shirt for $15. Thats my new jumpsuit and when the pants get all torn up I'll get another pair for like $8.
CHris

I'd agree with Clay, get some goggles, helmet, altimeter, and jumpsuit.
Having the above is nice because you'll be more comfortable in your own gear. Later when you get some jumps and really know more you can get a rig and buy more fancy gear.
www.para-gear.com is where I got all my stuff. A good cheap jumpsuit is a Slipstream 2. They have generic sizes that fit pretty well(small, medium, large, etc) and Para Gear will exchange for a different size if the one you order doesn't fit well(they did for me).
I'd also only buy 1 year of membership in the USPA for now.

My advice - slow down dude............. you sound like you want to know everything NOW!!!!........... take it easy and take all info in ............. you never stop learning in this sport.................. it aint a race.............. chill and enjoy.................
just my 2 pieces of 8
bsbd
"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"