Pammi

Reserve trade-ins?

Does anyone know if there is any company that allows trade-ins on reserve canopies for some credit? The reason I ask is that the reserve that came with my rig that I bought used is rather small, and I've been told it should be okay for me, but I'm becoming more and more uneasy about it. I figure I can 'manage' with it, but really don't want to try if it should become necessary, and hesitate to think about what might happen should I be knocked unconscious or some such and land with it. Basically, I just don't want to treat my canopy like I do my clothing...I'm intending on losing 10 pounds, and it'll be fine then. LOL.
Anyway, I'm at the absolute max wingloading on it, and want to upsize of course. I'm having trouble finding anyone that needs a reserve that small though. We're not jumping right now until Merrick finds another job, but I'd like to figure something out about the reserve before we start jumping again.
Thanks!
Closing pin jewelry

It's a Raven Dash-M 109, and I've already checked into it, and know a larger one will fit in there. It's actually one that already had the problems with the lines that they did the service bullitan on and I have to get fixed too. I just would rather not wait a significant amount of time for it to sell to get a new one, and taking my chances jumping with it :/
Closing pin jewelry

Some dealers will take trade ins, but not all; for example where I work we don't take trade ins on anything but will gladly sell used stuff on consignment. Doesn't work real well if you need the money from what you've got to buy what you want though...
pull and flare,
lisa
--

Pam,
You are lucky(?) to have a Raven-M affected by the service bulletin.
If you mail it to Precision, they will charge you US$50 to do the sewing required by the service bulletin, then give you a rebate worth US$100 towards any new canopy that Precision makes. Surely you can charm them into shipping you a Raven 120 by return mail.
Remember to ask your local rigger if he can cram a Raven 120 into your existing container.
Incidentally, only Raven-M reserves built between 1997 and 1999 have the lightweight (Type 3) line attachment tapes. All the other Ravens built before and since have stronger (Type 1) line attachment tapes.

Thanks Rob...I appreciate the input. Mine is actually listed (the serial number) as one of them recalled, and was manufactured in 1998. Also, I'm supposed to be able to fit up to a PD 150 or smaller in the rig.
Two questions - As to charming them...do you mean basically buying a 120 with the $100 rebate, but then not getting my 109 back (thereby not getting to recoup any of the cost by selling my old canopy eventually)? Also, what are your thoughts on a 120 reserve for my size? I realize Dash-M's are made to fly like larger canopies then the actual 120, but that still seems a bit of a heavy loading? I'm 145 without a rig on (ack, I can't believe I publicly revealed my weight..lol). I'm just wanting thoughts on a good reserve size for my size.
Oh, and if a Dash-M 120 would work well for my size, that doesn't mean a PD-120 would, correct? Since they are supposed to be made differently?
Thanks!
Closing pin jewelry

I'm just wanting thoughts on a good reserve size for my size.

I'm about the same size as you Pammi. I just upsized from a MR135-M to a PD143R. I'm pretty confident that I can safely land that 143R anywhere under any conditions. I would not feel confident with my ability to safely land anything smaller, at least not until I'm making 20 - 30+ jumps per month and have downsized my main below a 150.
Yes, I'm the Canopy Nazi, but my recommendation would be to go much bigger than a 120 for your reserve.
pull and flare,
lisa
--

I agree with Lisa. Go bigger on the reserve, especially since a bigger one will fit, and you are obviously uneasy about the one you have. Double check with the manufacturer and/or rigger as to what would fit. I think my rigger said a PD143 has about the same pack volume as a Raven or Tempo 150.
It shouldn't be too hard to fnd someone with a little container who needs a little reserve and wants to save some cash if it comes to that. You might lose a little money, but you will feel better about your reserve.

Aerodyne was the first company to take old canopies in trade-in for 50% off on a a\new canopy. That sales campaign is over.
Currently Precision is offering a similar deal. If you mail in an old canopy, they will sell you a new canopy for 50% off. They don't even care if your trade-in is airworthy.! I have a huge pile of ratty old F-111 mains for trade-ins, and you can have one for not much more than the cost of shipping.
One disadvantage of Precision's campaign is that it only applies to their Ground Zero line of canopies The Ground Zero line is supposed to include the Raven Max reserves. I just don't when the Raven Max will enter production.

I read this with a lot of interest. You must be a better canopy pilot than me, Pammi. I'm just a few pounds more than you, but I got real uneasy about the 143 Reserve I ordered, and changed it to a 160. But, then again, I just downsized to a 170 main, and I think you jump a smaller main than I do to. Boy, did I ever get alot of flack from people in ordering that 143!
Andrea
The brave may not live forever, but the timid may not live at all.

I hesitate to say with CN watching *grin* but I jump a 135 Sabre :) Have been for some time now actually. However, I do figure that it will do me for quite some time...I can't see myself downsizing for a very, very long time. I actually have done CRW with it once ... lol. Gawd, I'm so getting my a** kicked on here now!
I think the 143 is about as big as I'll be able to get into my container, but I have to say, after having jumped with a 109 in it all this time, I feel MUCH better with the idea of a 143 :)
Maybe I should keep the 109...I just know this is the year I'll finally get down to 100 pounds and look just like Ally McBeal...bwahahaha!
Closing pin jewelry

Pammi, What size Mirage do you have? And correct me if I'm worng but you have a Cypres too right?
As for doing CReW with a Sabre, its not that bad. Non-cascaded lines make it lots safer, but it can be done with no major issues with out. And your wing laoding is'nt that bad, but it is at the limits of what I'd say to go to. Smaller canopies are just twitchier then larger ones of the same loading.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique