cloud9

Bridle Extension

I have been psycho paking my Hornet and decieded that if I'm going to keep packing this way I need to go ahead and have a bridle extension put on. So I asked a rigger today if he could put a bridle extension on my Hornet 150, and he said sure how much do you want? I said well, I don't know. How much can you put? He said anywhere from a few inches to a few feet. Now that confused the hell out of me. So ok you psycho packers How much bridle extension should I have put on. I was thinking in the 4-6 in. range, but I'm really not sure. What's the norm?
Any Idea's?

Thanks for the replys guys. I did find at the precision site, that a 6" extension is recomended.

I psycho packed my VX and never used an extension. Didn't need it the way I rolled the main.

This brings up another question. Why is it so important to have the bridle ring contact the bag gommet? Is it just to keep from burning the frabric on top of the canopy?

>This brings up another question. Why is it so important to have the bridle ring
>contact the bag gommet? Is it just to keep from burning the frabric on top of the
>canopy?
It's not so much that as making sure there's no fabric pinched between the metal ring and the metal grommet, since that can cause tiny tears on opening (the ring will be loaded against the grommet initially.) That's the primary cause of the tiny tears you see on the center cell topskin of some canopies.
-bill von

6" is a good average. You need enough to get to the middle of the bundle without pulling the attachment off center. I have a 4" on my 108 and I had a 6" on my 170. I would imagine a "Big Boy" chute takes a longer one.
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

>Bill, I also think it reduces lateral shear forces on the fabric near the bridal attachment.
On canopies that have such a short bag-to-attach link that that point is stressed before the canopy is free of the bag, I'd agree. I've never seen a square canopy rigged that way, though. (Note that a kill line pulling on the bridle attach doesn't count, since that gives way.)
-bill von

>This brings up another question. Why is it so important to have the bridle ring contact the bag gommet? Is it just to keep from burning the frabric on top of the canopy?<
When the bag is pulled from the container, and line stretch is happening the pulling force of the pilotchute will be on the bridle. If you leave slack between the grommet and the bag stop inside the D bag it will try to pull to the stop on it's own. This is an uncontrolled action that can cause burning on the canopy. If your pack style does not allow you to pull all the slack out, add a closer inside bag stop to your bridle.
jumpervali