Kirils

My new Xaos

I just received my Xaos-21 from Precision. These lines are freaky! I don't think angel hair pasta is that thin! The canopy
is well made. I was disappointed that the hot pink I ordered looks more like purple and there were no instructions or any rigger info included, just an invoice and the canopy in a box. I will be flying it on Christmas day. Does anyone know if there is anything special I should know about this canopy?
Good flying to you!
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

My frined Wane just got his 80. Was lemon yellow instead of neon, but that was his mistake. Bottom skin was supposed to be blue and it wasn't.
He doesn't care he loves it. Seems to flat turn a hell of a lot better than an FX.
good luck
ramon

Oh,
I just started jumping one. I had some thoughts on it on a thread titled Xaos-21, last post on 11/28. It might help you. If you have anything specific, I might be able to help. But I am new too it also.
One thing that makes me happy about it, I have had line twists something like 4 times. All but one time it popped out of twist just as it fully inflated. The other time, it flew level, and let me kick out. That is much nicer than the scary stilletto stories. That, and turn high for a while. Other than that it flys like a parachute. Sort of...

there were no instructions or any rigger info included,

I had the same experience when I purchased my VX. Some rigger info would be nice, but I think the feeling on the instructions goes something like this.......If you truly have the experience to be jumping this canopy, at this level, you should no longer need instructions.
alan

I put a couple on my new Xaos this weekend. "Instructions! We don't need no stinking instructions!!!" It is pretty obvious how to hook one up after looking at the order the factory puts the lines on the slinks. I didn't get a bridle extension with mine either, but I had one made before I jumped it. Psycho packing is new to me, nonetheless I would think having the extension on there has got to keep things a little more symmetrical during deployment.
I am loading mine at about 2.15 coming from jumping a Cobalt loaded at 1.8. Screwed the setup for my first landing and just had to straight shoot it, no problem. Landing number 2 I set up with a nice 180 front riser carve and it came in smokin' faster than I ever have under the Cobalt. Inexplicable inner-grin generator! I think I salivated at the end of the surf.
Differences I noticed:
Openings: Both excellent, The Xaos opened on heading after a nice snivel both times. The Cobalt has always opened soft at varying speeds, though I have been smacked under it once when I opened with a slightly shoulders low in a slight track, but it was an anomaly.
Turns: The Cobalt actually seems more elliptical and turns quicker. However, the Xaos seems to give up more altitude in turns.
Riser pressure: The front riser pressure is a little bit harder on the Xaos initially, but definatly builds more pressure throughout the carve. I wouldn't feel comfortable with the front riser pressure with any lower a loading on the Cobalt, I would just be too soft.
Brakes: Seem set a little lower in the Xaos, but the response is stronger. The wing itself seems considerably more rigid with the cross-bracing.
I still like the versatility of the Cobalt. Doing demos, landing on the beach, even some CRW. It is a really fun canopy to fly. My only downer with mine is that it seems to "conk-out" and run out of lift on longer surfs when there is no wind.
The Xaos is a much more intense and disciplined experience piloting, which is good.I think I'll have a good 100 jumps on it before I take it anywhere other than my home dz though. A reasonable amount of respect needs to be factored in with its use. The biggest plus other than performance I noticed was the incredible amount of lift this canopy sustains from surf to finish. Welcome to cross-bracing huh...
I still only have 2 jumps on the Xaos compared to nearly 200 under Cobalts.
My 2-cents worth, Hixxx

Thing there is been that Cobalt has good is the lift in the end of Flare, even with null wind. I love to surf without any wind with my cobalt 85 to 2.1 and to land smoothly in the end.
Other great virtue of Cobalt is the opening. I have 350 jumps in cobal'st without any hard opening and cut away, same with line twists.
roq

I just ordered a 125 today, it was only $25 extra for a custom size. Totally sweet. I've been jumping a stiletto 150 for my last 300, so I can't wait for my new mistress. They told I'd love it compared to the Velocity and FX that I jumped (120, 115). I'll be loading it at 2.0?- so not all that high for an extreme elliptical these days. It was just too good an offer to pass up. I did my homework on it, too. The reviews so far are outstanding according to a couple of good sources in the industry. Any thoughts?
-Dan

I think people have repeatedly stated, that ANY 9 cell will give you the bottom end lift that you're looking for.
People have recomended the Sabre 2, the Stiletto, the Crossfire (issues notwithstanding), and the Cobalt. EVERY ONE OF THESE WILL GIVE YOU THE BOTTOM END LIFT YOU'RE MISSING.
In addition, all of these canopies were designed to be flyable at a 1.8 wing loading. Your Diablo, was not.
If you can get around the fact that people are telling you thinkgs you don't want to hear, you might just find the answer.
_Am

When you reference the crossfire "issues not withstanding", are the new crossfires o.k.???

It depends who you ask. Many people jumping "fixed" Crossfires report hard openings and very high front riser preasure, two of the things that made the crossfires such good canopies in the first place.
I think the much bigger problem with the Crossfire is Icarus themselves, how they've handled this issue just sucks. They should've issued full recalls from day one.
_Am

Yeah I can't stand soft openings or light riser pressure either..... sorry, I know I'm being picky, I can't help it.....

Do you have experience on both the "new" and "old" line trim configurations on the Crossfire? If so, what differences have you noticed? I don't believe that the line trim change will solve their problems - but, then again, what I think doesn't really matter since I don't/won't jump one anymore..
Mike

I have, I have!!! pick me......!!!! I posted the changes I noticed when I first had the mods done (before all the publicity, too). basically the openings became more of an adventure (more elliptical in nature if you know what I mean), they were a little fastr (not much), front riser pressure, definately higher - not so much as to prevent a riser turn however. didn't notice any difference in landing. I've jumped it in all kinds of conditions, and it is rock solid - FWIW. I load it around 1.7