NtheSeaOrSky

moronic gear question of the day..

OK, so there I was being told to pick out a rig from a wall o' rigs. I was instructed to get a rip cord and not a throw out one. To which.....being a newbie and never paid any attention to any other than the one I had on......I asked how do you tell? The answer....Look! Ahem, OK, these things might as well be space shuttles, I dont know everything about how they work, so I dont know what to look for. That having been said, I was told to look for the red pull thingy for the reserve jm on the back of the rig. My question, is that the only way to tell? What am I looking for? Are there pictures somewhere? Am I really a complete moron? OK, dont answer that last one :D. Maybe I shoulda spoken up then, but I was a little, um ok, a lot, embarassed. Where the hell do I find the rig encyclopedia????
Thank you. Please be patient, I am learning. I promise to never ask the same question twice!

The best thing to do is ask. I know you'll never be put into a situation when you're a student where you'll be jumping something you haven't been briefed on, but the best thing to be in this sport is curious. If you don't know, find someone who does. Get someone to show you everything on the kit, and how it compares to an experienced rig (le. throwaway pilot chute) as you'll be jumping one before long :) I skydive, therefore I am :)

OK, these things might as well be space shuttles, I dont know everything about how they work, so I dont know what to look for.

Nothing against the dz you're jumping at... but that is NOT a moronic question on your part. You have how many jumps? I'd think you should have been taught this by now.
Here's an easy way to tell the difference. If it's a "throw out" rig, there will be a lumpy area next to the handle you pull, which will be either at the bottom of the container or at the top rear of the right leg strap. This lumpy area is the folded throw out pilot chute stowed in it's pouch. If it's ripcord activated the area around the handle should be smooth, or at least not lumpy like there's a folded up pilot chute stuffed in a pouch there.;)
As for a "rig encyclopedia", imho the best book for a novice jumper is Dan Poynter's Parachuting - The Skydivers Handbook. Available from your favorite gear dealer, Para Publishing, and even amazon.com Best $20 you'll spend.
pull and flare,
lisa

The best thing to do is find a local JM or rigger that you respect, not just the first one availble, and sit down with them on a rainy day have have them go over all the parts on a rig. Also since they probally are not doing anything anyways, have them teach you to pack after you have gone over your rig a few times to learn the right way to assemble a 3 ring, what a fraying closing loop looks like and other simple, but important items.
All the JM's and riggers that I know and respect will do this for free anytime they have the chance to. But I've found them to really like you afterwards if you have a case of their favorite beverage for them as a kinda of thank you at the end of the lessons. And in all reality you'll probally get to have some of it too since its never any fun to drink alone.....
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

Thanks! No, nothing bad on the DZ I am at, as I moved halfway during my training. They are doing their best to finish my training and "patch up the holes" left from earlier attempts. I know I should have spoken up, but I bit my tongue to keep from snapping back (as I was in an unusual canky mood). I figured it wasnt essential knowledge for the dive I was doing, so it could be asked later, thats all.

Never stop yourself from asking a question, even if YOU don't think that it is important for that moment. It might be, you never know and remember its your life that is in danger, you're jumping out of a plane, so your questions may save your life.
AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

The answer was, "LOOK!". Thats helpful.

Then the next question is "look at what?". Skydiving is dangerous enough as it is - don't make things worse than they need to be by jumping gear you don't understand. Ask the questions that need to be asked and keep asking until you get an answer you're comfortable with.
-
Jim

ask q's ask more q's and even when you have the piss ripped outta you ask more q's.............. you get more respect in asking "stupid" q's than not asking q's at all......phuq me I know some CAT8 and CAT10 who did not know what their knives were for........ jesus you have to carry that and you dont know why??? - why the phuq did you not ask????......on bad weather days go talk to your instructor / rigger ........ they will be willing to talk about equipment etc coz its better doing that than sitting around doing phuq all.......... and yeah buy beer afterwards............... it makes all of us smile !
bsbd
Dont give up learning!!!.............. knowledge dispells fear.........
have fun

"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"