PhreeZone

ZP or F111 Pilot Chute?

Whats everyone perfer as their pilot chute material and why?
I like ZP because you don't have to worry about it losing its porsity as it hits 500 jumps on it. Also you can get by with a slightly smaller PC then an F111.
Bad things I've heard are that since its slipery its more prone to premarure delpoyments because it can slide out of a slightly loose BOC. Can anyone confirm that?
I'm not sure what to put here right now.....

Hey Phree......me and Laura both got ZP PCs for the two reasons you said. However, our rigger who put them together said that they go in and out easily.
Woudl you mind looking at the pictures of our rigs Phree and see if they look dangerous to you? Thanks bro! (the BOC just looks small)
-------------
http://www.JumpinDuo.com
"oh no. Not another one"-Alienangel

(the BOC just looks small)

The pouch should be small....it needs to hold the PC firmly in place.. It's not really possible to say if they come out too easily, are just right, or are a hard pull waiting to happen without actually handling the rigs/PC.. I did notice in your pics that the PC's are sticking out a bit.. They should not - only the hackey should be out of the pouch.. If the spandex seems too tight, remember that it will loosen up with some use..
Mike

Mike said--
I use ZP pilotchutes because they last longer and provide consistent openings.. Openings will change with an F111 pilotchute over time as it loses porosity..
DB> You do mean--as it gains/increases porosity? (as compared to ZP that remains constant)
Dave Brownell

My new Mirage came with either a 26" or 28" ZP (I'd have to re-check) and I really liked it with my Heatwave and with my new Stiletto 190. I have the new freefly handle and that combined with how tight the spandex BOC puch is really makes for a secure pilot-chute even if it is ZP.
On my old rig I had a 28" ZP with my Sabre 210 which was okay but probably needed to be a couple of inches smaller to help with the openings.

It's worth considering how your stowed PC will behave in the event of a horseshoe malfunction. The PC should pull out cleanly if you pull on the bridle, and not bunch up. I think this is likely to be smoother with ZP than F111.
As a side-thought, how will the Mirage freefly handle behave in the event of a horseshoe? Will it release if you pull on the bridle with the PC stowed?
Geoff

I have used both f-111 and zp pilot chutes and I find that I like the openings of the f-111 pcs more. A rigger friend of mine mentioned to me how zps force air to spill over the sides and jostle the pilot chute and consequently the d-bag around a bit. Since f-111s allow some of the air to pass through them they aren't being jostled around and the snatch is more consistent and controlled on the d-bag. Has anyone heard of this???
I realize that the f-111 chute will not last as long as the zp, but it is a sacrifice I am willing to make for better openings, especially under elliptical canopies...
-Mr Hixxx

F-111 pilotchutes have the advantage of lower snatch force, which means they are less likely to jolt the bag out of the container and cause line dump.
However, I prefer ZP pilotchutes for long term reliability.
The best compromise seems to be smaller ZP pilothcutes.
If your Spandex BOC is too loose to prevent a pre-mature deployment, then ask your rigger to sew it slightly smaller or install a smaller BOC.
Back when BOCs first came into fashion 4.75" was the standard width for 36" F-111 pilotchutes without kill-lines. Now that ZP pilotchutes as small as 26" are fashionable, BOC widths have shrunk to 4" or less.

I would say the exact opposite, with ZP being more slipery...

Remi, what I was getting at is that some rigs have spandex and some have cordora(spelling) pouches. If your using ZP it is less likley to come out in a spandex than if it where in a cordora pounch!
jason

thanks for the info...
I don't have a pouch, because I have a pullout with a pud handle. I use a 30" f-111 pc on a Cobalt 120 which gives me really sweet openings on heading and soft.
When do you think the f-111 should be replaced? What is the comparable size if I chose to switch?
thanx, MrHixxx

"some rigs have spandex and some have cordora(spelling) pouches"
You couldn't pay me to jump a Cordura pouch. I have seen a rig (Wings I think) that had a 3/4 Cordura with 1/4 Spandex (right around the mouth) BOC pouch. I guess they are trying to make it last longer. Cordura doesn't have near the grip on your PC that spandex does. Don't be lazy! Just replace it when it's worn.I Free Fly and I think Cordura is a Premature waiting to happen. If you belly fly only it's probably fine. For Free Fliers and even AFF JM's (No Doubt you won't always be belly to earth ;) ) This is a NO-GO piece of equipment.
"Shut up Dummy!"- Fred G Sanford

On most BOC's its just the mouth thats providing the most tension to hold it in. I've seen streched, and trashed BOC's hold up fine for freeflying since the mouth is good and tight.
The Codura will help keep the bottom of the rig from showing the damage a butt in slide will do to a BOC.
I'm not sure what to put here right now.....

we recommend zp pilots.
cobalts 135 and below : 22" zp collapsable
above 24" zp collapsable.
as a zp pilot should be smaller than your f111 it is very important to make sure the spandex pocket is not too loose. if it is simply have your rigger fix it.
pilot chute misconceptions:
zp pilots inflate and cause air to spill out unstabily: complete BS. if you doubt simply fly one off the back of your pickup truck and watch.
zp pulls harder and will damage your chute: again BS. zp pilots will pull what ever you want them to, ie. size properly. btw the f111 pilots supplied as standard by some container companies have more that 2 times the required pull force. jumping the recommended size pilot on a cobalt will actually reduce wear over stock container f111's not to mention lower snatch force.
ps. check the archive, there have been some good posts by dave brownell, myself and others..
sincerely,
dan

I have jumped ZP pilot chutes since their inception and see no reason whatsoever to jump F-111 anymore. Too much snatch force with the ZP you have? No prob; get a smaller one. I jump Cazer collapsables; normally in 22".
Odd story: before Gunter Worlein was prohibited from re-badging and marketing Atair canopies here in the USA, he would only sell you an Alpha if you bought an F-111 collapsable. I though this ludicrous, but bit anyway and jumped it for quite a while (for me, anyway:)Chuck
My webpage HERE