prost

Highly loaded Sabre2

Agreed.
I have jumped a Sabre 97 (just to see what it would do) and was not impressed with the bottom end at all. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to jump one of the Sabre 2's at 2.0 if they made one small enough to accomodate me. I try to give everything a chance just so I will be able to better report what I think, without putting any un-educated bias into it. Even if they were to make an 89 (as they are now doing with the stilleto and Vengeance), it would barely be at 2.0 for me. By comparison, I regularly jump a Competition Cobalt 65 loaded at 2.63 (without weights) and don't have any problems jumping it with my 4-way lead at 2.8. FYI: that is not a tri-cell, so as long as I feel a certain airfoil has a decent bottom end, I won't hesitate to load a "standard" or slightly tapered main at 2.0
Chuck
My webpage HERE

Prost,
Well i wont exceed maufacturers specifications, because i am not going to risk my life by overloading a canopy beyong what is reccomended. If you wana to load over 2, why dont you fly those high eliptical canopies that perform better at high wing loadings
Blue Skies,
Omar A-39113

Anyone have expeirence loading a Sabre2 at 2 to 1 or above? How does it fly compared to a Stilletto?

I can't say what it's like loaded at 2:1 or above, but I have jumped one loaded at about 1.6, and regularly jump one at about 1.5.. The Sabre2 is not as responsive as the Stiletto at the same loading(not as twitchy, either), and the dive after a front riser maneuver is longer(I like that part).. Openings are not snaky like a Stiletto..
If you really want to know how they fly at loadings like that, call Skydive Deland and ask for Scott Miller.. He is a test jumper for PD, and has flown the Sabre2 at loadings over 2:1 - up as high as 2.4 or 2.5 I think..
Mike

Is the manufacturer's recommended max weight limit designed to say that the canopy gives the best performance at that specific weight loading for your experience? Or is it for "legal reasons" so they dont get sued if the canopy malfunctions due to too much wing loading?
Blue Skies,
Omar A-39113

Beats me.
The sport has been changing a lot in the past few years.
All I know is that people have been loading up stilletos to 1.6-1.8 to get the best swoop performance for years before PD raised the max loading to 1.8.
The idea of what "high performance" actually is seems to have changed even since I have been jumping which is just 2.5 years.
Jim Slaton put it best when he says every canopy or airfoil has an optimum or 'most efficient' wingloading.
The optimum wing loading on an F111 dragonfly 220 and a VX68 will be very different.. and I'm willing to bet that the Max weight listed for each canopy might be close to the same number. :D
One thing for sure if a canopy is labeled as high performance and it comes from Icarus, Atair, or PD, you can probably be sure it was tested at wingloadings above the maximum posted.
I really don't want to load my reserve more than placarded though and I am sacrificing by having a bigger container to do so.
bloo skies
ramon

S:ph34r:1 is using his Sabre2 97 as his primary wingsuit canopy and can swoop the snot out of it. I've seen him on it and it's impressive to see a "Intermediate" canopy at a high wingloading go that far.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

One of our jumpers weights about 230 - 240 (and has jumped it with 20 pounds of weights) out the door and jumps a 135.

I've seen him get some sick swoops out of the thing and barely needs to take more than a few steps.

If it's distance you're looking for there are probably better canopies out there. The person in question swears by it and has no desire to swoop the farthest he can, although he still goes pretty damn far.

Hope this helps,

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I've only loaded a Sabre2 at 1.6 and 1.7 (well, I jumped one about a year ago loaded at 1.4 as well).

At 1.6 and 1.7, it can flat out get its swoop on, infact one of my best swoops to date was on a Sabre2 that I borrowed to make a back-to-back load (swooping the length of the hangers, 270-ish ft).

Although I think a lot of people who are looking at those sorts of wingloadings and have the experience for those sorts of wingloadings will probably be jumping something else... *shrug*
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."