foos

Cobalt Demo, A New Jumper’s Perspective

At what point would I sell someone a Crossfire (or other elliptical) loaded at 1.8?? Total number of jumps doesn't tell me enough to know if the jumper is ready for it... what's more important is what canopies and wingloadings the jumper has been flying, how many jumps on each type and size, how current the jumper stays, where they jump (i.e. ground altitude - msl, tight or open landing area, etc.), how they are flying and landing what they have (i.e. aggressively, conservatively, or a mix; stand them all up or biff a few now and then...), have they had a reserve ride (many canopies when loaded at 1.8 can twist up and create a nasty, high speed, spinning malfunction that cannot be cleared - as this type of mal for a first cutaway could be rather nervewracking and if handled incorrectly could be very fatal, I'm happiest if the jumper has already chopped something), etc...
These factors combined with exit weight and number of jumps can give me a pretty good idea of the jumper's experience and skill level; if there's still a question I'd ask to talk with the chief instructor or other highly experienced jumper/swooper at their DZ so I can verify the info and get an "okay" from someone who has seen the jumper land.
pull and flare,
lisa
---
I chose the road less traveled. Now where the hell am I?

For what it's worth, I agree with Spectre and Lisa here... you've got to learn to walk before you can run, and 100/200 jumps simply isn't enough time under a canopy to develop the skills necessary to save your life when you need to. Sure, you can land the thing with a nice surf, and stand it up, but what happens when the shit hits the fan??? A couple of weeks ago we had a guy with somewhere around 500 jumps (that's a rough guess) crash into a woman holding a baby as he attempted a high performance landing (we land in farmer McNasty's big field, and there is LOTS of room for spectators) ... the mother and baby went flying 8 feet and hit the ground -- fortunately no one was seriously injured... but this canopy pilot found himself in a situation that he couldn't deal with, and almost killed 2 people. IMHO you need to put hundreds of jumps on a lightly loaded canopy to build your skills before moving to a wing loading of 1.2 and up ...
Sorry, Dan, to hear about your friend... my thoughts go out to her friends and family

Before I attract flames, just in case, I want to say that my canopy will prolly be a Hornet 170 @ 1.15:1 ...
It just doesn't sound very realistic to me...how can you build real skill with hundreds of jumps on a canopy that will forgive every stupid act you make?I mean, sure, you can learn the right reactions instinctively...but then you get that thing at 1.4 and find yourself in a same situation...would you know shit about how it would react?Or would you do the same drill as the one you did on the forgiving canopy you mastered?
I'm a big fan of correct training on medium performance mains rather a huge number of jumps on conservative loadings, and the reason I go for a conservative canopy is that I know i won't be a able to be current enough during this year to justify a higher loading.Sure I studied the High performance canopy handling manuals and apply the exercises all the time, but i feel that doing them on a low performance wing for a long time wouldn't do much good...one must downsize properly in the meantime, if they want to safely fly at higher wingloadings.
That's just to complement what others have said, not to disaggree with anyone...sure, I was be flying a hot Navigator 260 until now and pushed it a lot, but I'm beginning to downsize slowly (230,210,190,170) so that I'll be ready for my main at ~80 jumps...I realise I picked a lot of bad habits with student mains in 32 jumps...
And since we see all see new the new trend of going with the faster mains sooner...it might be better for everyone to start pushing DZs to give more thorough training to people, not just student level...it's scary to see many jumpers with more than twice my jumps knowing shit about canopy control...the ground doesn't care how many jumps you have!
Training and curiosity, as Riggerob said...
Don't pull low, unless you are afraid of heights!
Tefkros

i stand by my recommendation that a cobalt @ 1.2 could be a better choice.
it will be slower than the hornet. much, much more lift, flare, glide & softer openings.
take your advice from someone that has flown the canopies you are considering AT the loadings you are considering.
sincerely,
dan

Thanx Dan, that's what I plan to do...I'll try the Cobalt and IF I can stay current enough to master it safely,amd if I feel comfortable enough with it,maybe I'll go for it...no flames please people, my instructors will have to judge wether to let me fly one first,so I'll be going basically by what people that know me consider safe...
Btw, Dan, do you send Cobalt demos in Europe? (Greece)
Don't pull low, unless you are afraid of heights!
Tefkros