cyberskydive

RWorkshop velcroless toggles.

Hi there,
Yeah, velcroless toggles are the way to go for low maintenance. One small point, if you're going to do CReW then velcro toggles are better - that way you can stick them on your risers while docking so you don't have a loose toggle that could catch on other kit.
Mike D10270.

Just be careful when stowing your brakes. (The excess line that you can "S-fold" under the velcro.) This method doesn't work too well with the velcroless toggles and you could end up with a mal. Ask a rigger for the best method.
There's a few different ways to do it.
Matt- what did you think of the Wings container? I just bought one.

My rig has no velcro for the toggle handles, Just a tab that gets inserted into a slot on the risers. No problems. I've talked to riggers etc. and they say to just stow the slack (only about 10 inches) loosely in there (i.e., you don't need to wrap it around anything or lash it down with anything). I have been doing this & have had no problems, and neither did the rig's previous owner.

Tigra -
I liked the Wings container. Which is a good thing - I bought one! The reason I was able to demo the same rig all day was the fact mine is behind schedule in shipping.
I've only jumped rental gear so it's unfair to say the Wings is better than XXX. I can tell you that articulated harnesses are far more comfortable than student javelins! I picked the Wings because of numerous reccomendations from around my DZ, the fact it is very freefly friendly, and I got a great deal on it. I can't wait for mine to come and will post a review in the gear section once I put a 10 or 20 jumps on it.
-mb

The relatrive workshop velcroless have a small pin attached to the back of the toggle that hold it in place, the eccess line gets stowed around the back of the riser with 2 elastic stows, everyone I have talked to say that these work great!
So unlike the ones mentioned above the eccess line is well out of the way, and not just folded under the velcroless tab.
D.Chisolm C-28534
[email protected]
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

Sorry, I'm retarded© There is elsatic stows on my risers© I don't use them though© They seem like more of a hassle than just tucking the extra line into the side riser covers© Just make sure that you have the pin pushed in all the way© I had a few openings this past weekend where one brake was unstowed© Real easy to fix, it just took me a sec© to figure out what was going on©
Safe landings,
Alex C-30872

Better get in the habit of making sure your brakes are set properly now before you downsize. Having a brake unstowed on opening can be a very dangerous ordeal. Having a few in one weekend clearly indicates that you are doing something wrong. Even one in a weekend would indicate that you are doing something wrong. I am not sure what you mean by tucking into your riser covers as I have know idea what kind of rig you are jumping, but it is clearly a bad idea. Like you said, you are retarded. It's not your fault.
C

Alex-
If you had a brake unstow on opening, you opened off heading in a turn, with a canopy you could not fully control. This is a potentially very dangerous situation.
Please, talk to a rigger or packer about setting your brakes properly so they stay stowed until you want them and then unstow with little effort. There are a few different ways to do it. It sounds like your riser covers are catching on the excess line as your canopy opens, and that is not cool.
Be safe!
Edited by tigra on 3/13/01 03:47 PM.

There is no elastic used on Relative Workshop's Tru-Lock toggle system. Elastic wears out, just like Velcro does, and therefore can't be used as part of a toggle system designed to hold as firmly on jump # 1,000 as on jump # 1. There are two tape loops as part of the line stowage system, but they are not elastic.

A word of advice: Improperly stowed, or non-stowed excess brake line contributed to 3 fatalities that I know about last year. So please...Don't jump a toggle system with no provision for brake line stowage.

Just an FYI; Here are the packing instructions for them:
http://www.relativeworkshop.com/support/support_sport.html

Click on "TruLock Risers - Stowage of Excess Lines", (PDF file).

I have them on three rigs, and have never had a problem in ~600 jumps.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.