skreamer

BASE incidents and fatalities

OK, it is quite obvious that we (the skydiving community at large) are generally quite pro BASE jumping (especially seeing as how most (all?) BASE jumpers started out as skydivers). That said, should BASE incidents and fatalities be posted on this, essentially a skydiving forum?

Not knocking anybody here, but I just wonder how the good people on BLINC would feel if every skydiving incident/fatality was posted on their forum. Personally, I lurk BLINC and one day I would like to make 2 BASE jumps, but I come to dz.com to read about skydiving. If I want to stay on top of BASE news I read BLINC.

I don't think this is the appropriate place to be posting BASE incidents.

Will

I don't think this is the appropriate place to be posting BASE incidents.

I don't subscribe to this point of view. BASE jumpers, their stories, their expereince and their incidents has always been and will always be welcome on Dropzone.com.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

No, I don't subscribe to the secularization of the sport dividing fixed objects from aircraft. I want to hear about all aspects of parachuting (yeah, even rounds) to learn as much as possible. JMHO
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range

naw, you don't really want to hear about rounds, do you?

OK, I guess they're good for water jumps or intentional cutaways. Or finding out if your PLF training really sunk in.

5 jumps (and landings) on a T-10 were quite enough for me...I think my knees are still hating me.

But seriously...as someone who may try a BASE jump someday, I, too, am interested to read about their experiences and I think they should be allowed to post here if they feel so inclined. We're all "parachutists", right?
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

perhaps a separate BASE page in these forums would be a possible avenue to persue

That seems like quite a good idea - a dedicated BASE forum on dz.com. I appreciate that I should've posted to the Suggestions forum initially, could a moderator type please move this thread to that forum?

Thanks

Will

OK so you put a BASE forum in - where do you stop?!? - In my opinion BASE is so much a different sport to skydiving - so are we going to have forums on paragliding & kite surfing just cause they happen to use parachutes / parachute type equipment?

Leave BASE to BLiNC - where more informed people post - and leave skydiving to DZ.com they are no way the same sport!!!

just my opinion!!!...............

Mac

Saying that – I also think that the posts relating to Norway are sort of Skydiving related – as some skydivers will venture over without any BASE knowledge and go and kill themselves thinking its safe………. This needs to be highlighted……….. it aint a hop n pop!!

again just my opinion.......

Mac

and now this thread gets moved to "suggestions" where phuq all people read it!!!!..................

I moved it. I read it. If you're asking for new forums then I'm the only one you need to read it. It was not about an actual incident so it was in the wrong forum to begin with.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

How is it valuable for all people when most people reading this do not have any BASE knowledge and will perhaps interperate the information incorrectly - it may even go as far as helping people back up their arguments of saying BASE is "crazy" - and yes some skydivers still think this way............

Is it not like publishing skydiving fatalities on a whuffos site???? it will only be misunderstood

just my $0.02

cya

Is it not like publishing skydiving fatalities on a whuffos site???? it will only be misunderstood

I dont think this is even close....to call skydivers in general whuffo's to BASE is absolutely ludacris..I get many skydivers.....including my girlfriend who think I am nuts...but want to learn about it....just cause they think we are nuts does not make them clueless...as a whuffo would be....

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

I know I'm kind of late adding my two cents to this thread, but here goes.

The reason I started reporting BASE fatalities on DZ.com was that I don't believe that most skydivers understand the level of risk associated with BASE.

We (BASE jumpers) have seen a great many fatalities (about half of modern BASE fatalities) wherein the deceased party, their family and their friends did not realize the risks they were taking.

The problem is that, although most BASE jumpers understand how dangerous out sport is, many skydivers (who represent virtually the entire student pool for us) do not. That leads to skydivers getting hurt or killed in their first few jumps, and their friends (and family) accusing (often in a legal setting) BASE jumpers of "misleading" them as regards the risks involved. The problem is bad enough that "skydiver" is an insult to many BASE jumpers.

I felt that posting BASE accident reports on a skydiving forum (such as DZ.com) could help to make skydivers aware of the dangers inherent in BASE, and how much greater they are than other parachuting disciplines. Too many times, we see beginners who think "well, I've tried RW, CRW and Freefly, I guess BASE is the next step--it's just another type of skydiving." There are definitely BASE expeditions that foster this mentality (you can hire a guide to Angel Falls, Kjerag or Arco with 150 skydives, a skydiving rig, and an inadequate appreciation of the risk).

In short, I wanted to help make people aware of the dangers involved in BASE before they went on a "skydiving" vacation to Norway, Idaho, or some other BASE site.

I know I've already said much of this via PM to some people, but I thought I ought to post it here for anyone else who was following this thread.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com