TI's Sony cx105 for HandCam

>after opening and interviewing the initial reaction give the customer the
>controls and tell them to do a righ hand spiral (while assisting them with
>your right hand) and start from above looking down to thier feet and
>slowly pan down stopping at there face having the best time of its life and
>finish with the camera on their belly looking up at the canopy with the
>horizon and scenery spinning around, learn to fly the canopy with your
>hands out to the side and slightly in front and have their whole body in
>frame, and with a good landing shot including thier facial expressions.

Wow - and people complain about drivers using cellphones while they drive!

Wow - and people complain about drivers using cellphones while they drive!

This is a routine i can do with my eyes closed,

You could make the same argument about wing suits, camera flyers, RDS...

If you are going to be so conservitive, why jump out of a plane in the first place?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Nothing new in your descriptions. I'v seen it. And sorry, but I still see it as only slight variations of nostril.

By nostril you imply that you cannot see the subject, i can ans do have the entire subject in frame for various shots.

But kudos to you for having passion enough not to have a useless ass to slam into the ground and for making the best of your situation. Passion is key in this sport; and infectious with students. Wink

Thanks, i do have passion, and i do want my customers to have what they want.

95% of my handicam customers have had the choice of outside camera and handicam, sometimes i try to tell them to get outside if they are most interested in photos, but often they demand the handcam because they love the shots after the parachute is depoyes so much.

it is the customers choice.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

>This is a routine i can do with my eyes closed,

That's a bit of a problem IMO. We have already had one near-disaster because of a video camera, where the TM was doing things "with his eyes closed" (i.e. not even paying attention to what his camera hand was doing.)

>You could make the same argument about wing suits . . . .

Uh, no. Wing suits do not require that sort of attention to aiming, detail etc separate from the dive itself.

>camera flyers . . . .

Camera flyer is a good example. A camera flyer has a far more complex dive than a typical skydiver. He has to deal with camera issues, aiming, background, wings, entanglement hazards etc. Adding a student to a camera flyer would be nuts.

>If you are going to be so conservitive, why jump out of a plane in the first place?

Because some of us believe that skydiving is not either 100% safe or 100% deadly. Good judgment is essential to surviving long in this sport. Just because Luigi landed a 37 sq ft canopy does not mean that your choices are:

1) everything's fine, jump a 37 sq ft canopy all day!

2) if that scares you and you want to be so conservative, why jump out of a plane in the first place?

By nostril you imply that you cannot see the subject, i can ans do have the entire subject in frame for various shots.

No, only that student nostrils are typically the center of attention. Not only is the nose closest to the lens and usually near the center, but the wide fisheye lenses distort the image in such a way that the nostrils are pulled even farther out of the face. i.e. handcam = nostril cam.

but often they demand the handcam because they love the shots after the parachute is depoyes so much.

it is the customers choice.

Nothing to do with the fact that the majority are backpackers and handcam is the cheapest option??
Journey not destination.....

At risk of going way off topic, I'm in agreement with ryhs on this one, seriously, no body's re-inventing the wheel here. There really is nothing hard about aiming your hand while doing a tandem after you've done hundreds, if not thousands...you're simply flying with your legs. We also offer both options, inside and outside video at our DZ, and both are the same price. We have customers who saw their friend's (handcam) video, and show up wanting the same.
I agree, not everyone should be shooting handcam, as there are some awful examples out there...but if you're good at it, the excitment that is added to the video with the after openning expressions are priceless, not to mention the uncontrolable laughter from the student while performing a couple spirals up high.;)

Nothing to do with the fact that the majority are backpackers and handcam is the cheapest option??

not at all, for an extra $20 they could have had outside camera with 10mp stills but decide they like the handcam for tha parachute stuff and they only use the photos for facebook anyway.

for some people money is not a problem! but they still want handicam.

usually it is dedicated camera jumpers that don't like handicam, or those that don't understand it very well.

my only tandem cutaway i had handcam on and it was not a hinderence in the slightest, and they got good footage of the event without me even trying.

Different strokes for different folks, if you don't like it, don't do it or don't buy it. free choice!

my only tandem cutaway i had handcam on and it was not a hinderence in the slightest, and they got good footage of the event without me even trying.

Different strokes for different folks, if you don't like it, don't do it or don't buy it. free choice!

I have had two Tandem cut-aways in around 1700 tandems. Both with Handcam and didn't even consider or realise there was a glove on my hand. Certainly didn't get in the way.

As for "nostril cam" I have just got a cx100 and am using a Cookie Composites .2 with a Downward Trend Glove. WOW!!! can't wait to get it in the air, Field of View is AWESOME!!!
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

it's wide, but IMO, not wide enough to get head to waist if that's what you want.
Gimme a few hours (tomorrow morning) and I'll post width comparisons with each various lens. I tink I have a .2 floating around here somewhere, it may be down at the DZ.

I did find it, did make some shots, and didn't finish what I'd started. I wanted to do a page with 8 different lenses on this cam.
There is no .2 HD lens available, and likely won't be a true HD-capable lens, as it would require some very expensive engineering....
Anyway, I'll post the pix from the DZ tomorrow. Promise.

As DSE said there are a few that will do the job but my preference to date has to be Cookie Composites. In a market where there are a number of good products it often comes down to the customer service. Not bad mouthing anyone else just praising a good company.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

In a market where there are a number of good products it often comes down to the customer service. Not bad mouthing anyone else just praising a good company.

I agree, but the cookie does not offer a fliter on thier super wide lenses and they do on their narrower lenses.

for this reason I purchased a black eye, i only have to replace a $30 filter when it gets scratched.

If cookie or royal did this, then i would be inclined to buy off them but at this stage i will not.

Got my cx100 today and i am using an opteka .3 on it and with the step up ring its plenty wide enough for tandem. It is very comparable to my royal .2 in how wide the shot is. Believe this might be do to the stepup ring that is on it. Anyone else using the HD lens for handcam?

it's wide, but IMO, not wide enough to get head to waist if that's what you want.
Gimme a few hours (tomorrow morning) and I'll post width comparisons with each various lens. I tink I have a .2 floating around here somewhere, it may be down at the DZ.

Here's a grab (off of youtube), is that not head to waist? Shooting with a .25 lens, but the TI has a 80" wing span.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Here's a grab (off of youtube), is that not head to waist? Shooting with a .25 lens, but the TI has a 80" wing span.

I have one of DSE's .2 lenses.. he loaned it to me a while back & I've been using it for handcams. Attached is a screenshot from that lens,

I have one of DSE's .2 lenses.. he loaned it to me a while back & I've been using it for handcams. Attached is a screenshot from that lens,

zoom in to get rid of vignetting or get a better lens...