NickDG

iFly Hollywood . . .

It's not far from my place so I went down and gave it a whirl . . .

I haven't been in a tunnel since I flew in the Las Vegas tunnel the day it opened in the early 80s.

I had a lot of fun and it was really neat watching all the little kids fly . . .

NickD :)

Yes, the kids were amazing, they are limber and fearless.

I also gained a new found respect for tunnel instructors. It has to be exhaustive to muscle folks around like that all day. And they deal with some of the same issues as skydiving Instructors.

Besides the kid who blew snot all over his instructor (I've had that happen to me on tandems) there was one older woman (not in my group) who panicked somewhat in the tunnel when she thought she couldn't breathe. And while gearing up, just like at the DZ, some were attempting to put their jumpsuits on backwards.

It was also interesting, while waiting my turn, listening to the folks who stopped by to watch. Wuffos are the same everywhere. One wife asked her husband if he wanted to try it, and he said, "No thanks, I don't float!"

I hadn't kept up with tunnel design over the years but compared to the LV tunnel this one is light years ahead. It's quiet inside and outside. I lived across the street from the Perris tunnel, although I've never been in it, and all I know is it kept me awake at night.

The iFly also has wall to wall air flow. The LV tunnel had a column of air surrounded by cushions, and people were falling out of the column left and right. In fact, the LV tunnel originally closed, and stayed closed for years during the 80s after a few people took headers into the cushions and injured themselves.

It's also not hot or stuffy inside the iFly and the airflow is pretty smooth. And who ever came up with the idea to enclose the tunnel in Plexiglases and put it out where everybody could watch is a marketing genius.

I'll be honest and admit I've always kind of looked down my nose at wind tunnels. But last Sunday I came damn near inquiring about a employment application.

There's no zealot like a convert! . . .

>I also gained a new found respect for tunnel instructors. It has to
>be exhaustive to muscle folks around like that all day.

From talking to a few tunnel instructors this weekend, it's not that bad. After a few hundred hours in the tunnel you start to learn how to maneuver yourself and others with less effort. (After all, you have all that wind to do the hard work for you!)

I know most of them are in their twenties, except the Instructor I had, he said he was the old man at 36 which made me feel ancient. And, yes, I can see what you're saying about using the wind.

But after a few hundred hours in the tunnel they have to bring me a stretcher and morphine. . .

No, but she was working the throttle when my turn came . . .

At least I think it was her since we've never met!

When was this exactly? I wish that you had told me, who you are! I can't tell if we've met by the video, but if you return, please ask for me. I'd love to say "hello". :)
By the way, Kris and I are both 37. We are not old! I'm sure that you were laughing at that statement. :D

Hi Rosa,

I went and looked at the staff photos at your iFly website and I'm now pretty sure you weren't there. My class started at 1:15 last Sunday.

And looking back on it now I did a very stupid thing. I didn't mention to anyone I was a jumper.

The reason, I guess, was when we went to the LV tunnel in the 80s we decided not to say we were jumpers and just wow them. But when we got there we couldn't contain ourselves so we blabbed to everyone about being skydivers. Then we didn't take the class seriously and we generally acted like skydiving baboons of that period.

And guess what? We got into the tunnel and flailed around like beached fish.

This time I didn't say anything, partly because no one asked, and in fact later on Kris told me he usually does ask about past tunnel or skydiving experience, but just didn't this time. And second, I haven't made a jump in two years and I was afraid of making a fool out of myself. I swear as I was waiting for my class to start I was having performance anxiety attacks left and right.

But I really didn't know how accommodating to skydivers you guys really were. And if I'd told Kris right off it would have been better all around. I've had skydiving students in FJC classes with passed parachuting experience they kept to themselves until later. And it used to piss me off simply because I could have been more effective and helped them more if I knew ahead of time.

And I can see now Kris was probably annoyed at me. When I came out of the tunnel he whispered into my helmet, "How many jumps do you have!" And it was more a statement than a question.

I guess I'm writing this so other skydivers don't make the same mistake.

I know I probably sound like a blabbering newbie, but I had blast in the tunnel last Sunday. I never imagined how much fun it could be. And I'll definitely be back!

The below picky is me in the LV tunnel. It was the only photo we got because I couldn't stay in one spot long enough to get more. And this was taken a split second before I went sailing into the wall . . .

Hi Rosa,

I went and looked at the staff photos at your iFly website and I'm now pretty sure you weren't there. My class started at 1:15 last Sunday.

I definitely was not there. On the 24th (Sunday), I worked from 4 pm until close.

I was almost 100% sure that I wasn't there, when I first saw the video, but I thought that perhaps I didn't remember that flight. Now that I've looked at your photo from the first post, I see that your driver is my friend, Maggie.

We'll meet the next time. I'm glad that you had a great time!

Edited to add: I doubt that Kris was upset with you. Don't be so hard on yourself. You did a good job, and you can always return for further progression!

Instructor's name is Kris, and it looks like he is still walking into the wind...:D:D:D
and he looks old due to grey hair but he is not that old..

If that's the same Kris that was recently up at iFlySFbay, he's really cool. The instructional basics I watched him do were top notch.

Hey Nick... nice job getting in the tunnel. It's humbling at first. As a skydiver, we really learn how much we move around without walls as a guide.

Congratulations getting in there. I understand the desire to work there for a while. I know I would if I could afford to.:P
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I've made some of B.A.S.E. jumps in that time. But no skydives. I'm on what I'm calling wuffocation and currently perusing a career in EMS. And in order to do get serious about that I needed to get away from the DZ for awhile.

I also started feeling I was missing a lot of things "normal" people do after a lifetime on the drop zone. For instance I hardly ever traveled when it didn't involve skydiving, or went camping without B.A.S.E. jumping. A weekend at an amusement park or at the beach for a little surfing was always out of the question.

So I'm enjoying myself right now and finding new things like lazily reading the Sunday morning paper over coffee is a treat for me.

I'm sure I'll return to at least fun jumping after awhile but I think I'm done with students. I still have a few hairs that aren't grey yet and I would like to keep them . . .