philh

Skyventure Colorado

My girlfriend just got back form flying at Skyventure Colorado. Apparently someone there (not sure if it was a staff memeber or flyer) was doing the whole "our tunnel is the best "routine. My understanding is that the specs for Colorado are the same at Airkix, is that true of false?

It's not just the specs that make a tunnel.

They have some rights to be claiming that they are the best tunnel out there but then again we all think our tunnel is the best. What's wrong with that?
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Hi, Phil! I've gotta say, I had a bit of trouble with your post and so in fairness, I'll admit that maybe I read your post more defensively than I would have if my home tunnel happened to be elsewhere. Still, here goes.

I have no idea how our specs compare to Airkix, but no matter how they match up, I think that the claims about "our tunnel is the best" usually come out of more than just bragging rights about the technology and the hard numbers. I hope *everyone* feels that their tunnel is the best. It sounds like you feel that way about Airkix and I'm glad you have a tunnel you enjoy enough to defend. I have to say, though, that your post comes across more as a "you take that back" challenge than it does as a real interest in the specs. I hope you didn't mean it that way.

In any event, I'm truly sorry if your girlfriend was offended while she was here. I can't imagine that anyone intended that result, even if they were talking about how great SVCO is. Obviously, I didn't hear the exchange so I can't defend the speaker but I really hope the two of you can take it in stride. SVCO *is* a great tunnel. We have great air and great instructors. It doesn't mean that Airkix can't be fantastic, too.
TPM Sister #102

It's not just the specs that make a tunnel.

They have some rights to be claiming that they are the best tunnel out there but then again we all think our tunnel is the best. What's wrong with that?

Thanks, Paige! (That's a much less biased way of getting where I meant to be going! :)
TPM Sister #102

Thanks, Paige! (That's a much less biased way of getting where I meant to be going! :)

No problem ;) With Dan and Rusty in one location, there is no doubt in my mind that SVCO is right up there when it comes to tunnels. I can't wait to get time off school to come fly it.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

You know you're welcome here any time! And Phil, so are you and your girlfriend. I figure if we really want to get into a shouting match about the specs, we can just ask Kirk about his and the rest of us can proceed to shut up. ;) The better plan is to fly together and have a good time.

TPM Sister #102

Here is an interesting link that talks about all of the SV tunnels individually. The one in Spain soinds like a HURRICANE.

http://www.skyventure.com/tunnellocations/default.aspx?ID=299d98a1-4657-4646-a469-1acbf33798e3
Motion = Emotion

My girlfriend just got back form flying at Skyventure Colorado. Apparently someone there (not sure if it was a staff memeber or flyer) was doing the whole "our tunnel is the best "routine. My understanding is that the specs for Colorado are the same at Airkix, is that true of false?

The staff here at SVCO works very hard at what we do and the owners back us with training and a great facility. As for being 'the best', I think it depends on how you rate tunnels. SVCO is a 12-foot recirculating, 1200-hp tunnel. I 'believe' Airkix is 1000-hp. Unless you are flying at very high speeds, you wouldn't ever notice the difference. We also have some of the most highly trained staff anywhere. I don't know where that puts us in the standings for the best tunnel competition, but I do know we have a great facility with a great staff.

Derek

I dont mean to kick up any kind of storm of rivalry and I doubt that my gf was offended by anyone making any particular claims. I am really just curious about the evolving technology of tunnel design. if SVCO is 20% more powerful than Airkix then that answers my question. That doesnt in any way imply both tunnels arent great or dont have very dedicated staff or that the extra power is necessarily relevant to most flyers. Im just being geeky and wanted to know some facts. Thanks.

I already see enough of your mugs. :P Good thing they're cute ones! Well most of 'em, anyway. ;)

Phil, I'm glad you just wanted to talk numbers. I was serious about it when I said that I think everyone should love their home tunnel and I definitely didn't read your post as a pure question about specs, so I'm sorry for my misinterpretation. Hooknswoop and (heaven help us) Chipotle can give you all those details so I'll bow out and let those who know talk numbers and things that I don't get and can't follow. I do well just to know what wind speed I want to fly at. ;)

TPM Sister #102

yeah it really was a pure question about specs. Didnt expect to find myself in a speakers corner style scenario. A quick Colorado 1200 hp;Airkix 1000 hp,, both reciruclating 12ft would have sufficed. I do think its a wise idea to ask for evidence when poeple make claims, that should be a normal part of thinking for everyone.

I did all the calculations this morning and according to a very sophisticated algorithm that takes everything into account, yes it's true. Our staff at SVCO is officially the best looking. That was your question, yeah?

You know, I used a completely different algorythm and still came to the same conclusion! :| Weird.

id lvoe to know the answer to that question, I guess 500ft above sea level (is that right?) and youd probably need the extra power.

Airkix altitude approx 500 ft
SVC altitude approx 5500 ft
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

id lvoe to know the answer to that question, I guess 500ft above sea level (is that right?) and youd probably need the extra power.

Not sure if that was a typo but actually Denver is closer to 5000 ft above sea level and not 500 ft. What this means is that the correlation to actual skydiving is closer since we all skydive from much higher than sea level and in much thinner air. So a tunnel session in 150 mph winds in Denver is a little more like a skydive from 14k above sea level than a 150 mph session at sea level where equal lift could be achieved a little less actual wind speed but with less correlation to actual jumping out of a plane. I find that wind speed is not really a topic around here because SVC has the ability to provide winds to somewhere around 190 mph. Since my goal is to simulate skydiving and become a better skydiver, that is way more than I need or even want. But other people have goals that are entirely different and may actually like to fly those speeds. I do think the excess capacity is good for the longevity and operability of the tunnel and prevents downtime which can be a real bummer for flyers that come in from out of town since the motors are only operating at around 75-85% capacity (depending on the discipline you are trying to mimic).
Motion = Emotion

not jumping in on the we are the best thing, but we (Bedford)do have 16 ft to play with sometimes good sometimes bad..... trust me extra room means you can really get some speed up before you smash into them walls.... ;)

just like to add a tunnel is a tunnel Flyaway Vegas is not the fastest tunnel in the world but i came out of there with the biggest grin my cheeks hurt..

I'd take usable, full speed, flying volume/space (say, to the tops of the windows x width?) over sheer speed every day for 99% of all flying. Size matters :P And it's not like we've not hit 195mph with flyers flying in Bedford ;) - I guess it's nice having the luxury of both :)
As for them Vegas boys, I'm sure plenty of people will agree - they can do some stuff on seriously low wind speeds that'll make your eyes bleed. They're awesome bodyflyers, in the truest sense of the word. Amazing skills. :)

THE BEST TUNNEL IS............... the one you vibe best with. Whether you are light, heavy, cheap, advanced, or need a lot of space. Or you just want to go fly for convenience(locally). All these tunnels have enough speed(most governed down) for GREAT training and lots of fun.
Just like coaches: they all have something we want, and some would agree or disagree on what is important, but all would agree there is a certain level of fun needed. And saying your tunnel is the best IS A GOOD THING!!!!!
Great question Phil!!;)