freeflydrew

Would you travel (drive or fly) longer to fly in a 14ft tunnel vs 12ft?

Yes. Even though Orlando's an hour away, I'm planning on trips to Paraclete's new digs and I'm dragging my friends with me. Having to travel forces us to do a camp vs. an occasional hour which is what we always default to.

Plus, you will be able to eat Monkey Fries at Aviators on the DZ! A brilliant plan if you ask me.

Chuckie

Lots to consider there for me...
for instance.. I've been to NH 3 times since they opened long after Eloy and yet still haven't made it to Eloy....Although eloy is in my list, I usually consider the location...
It's likely that I'll get to Colorado before Eloy for the same reason (next ski season, me and the rockies! )

location, location, location... and for me.. there is more of interest around Nashua/Boston than Eloy, or in Colorado than Arizona.

now.. 16 foot.. heck yes.. BIG difference and yes I would certainly go the extra miles at least a few times even if it was in the middle of nowhere... cuz these will are and will be very rare and worth the extra trek.

I'm only 45 minutes away from the Colorado tunnel and I have made the road trip to eloy a handfull of times this year for the extra size and coachin I can get down there.

I also like the way the AZ tunnel flies better too.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Definitely. Just got back from a 4 day tunnel trip to Eloy. Partly for airspeed coaching, but being able to do most of the blocks is part of the deal. Perris is home for me. The 2 foot difference matters even in 1on1 freefly coaching. The walls look much closer when I get back from Eloy. I'll be travelling to the 16 footer for sure.

I'm only 45 minutes away from the Colorado tunnel and I have made the road trip to eloy a handfull of times this year for the extra size and coachin I can get down there.

I also like the way the AZ tunnel flies better too.

I've flown in both as well, and being 10 minutes from SVCO trumps all. Plus it's recirculating, plus I've made great friends there.

On the other hand, in Eloy I can fly in the tunnel and skydive in a place with a great atmosphere all in the same day. It's worth spending a few days there at a time because I really enjoy myself when I"m there.

But for its proximity, I'd have to choose SVCO. Until recently I was in it at least once a week, which really helps with the learning curve.

yes, even if I don't really have one close to where I live now, I am always traveling around.

last month I went to FL just b/c my friends and I planned to go to the tunnel in Orlando... so of course, since we were there, we stopped by ZHills and Deland too and had a great time.

as soon as NC tunnel is ready... I will be there for sure.

I've been to Eloy twice last year but they were too busy at the time.

neext on the list will be Perris:)

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)

my opinion is that it does make a difference, even for individual flights...

i think all the tunnels have something to offer, and time spent in any tunnel will improve your flying. after seeing some of the flyers that have come from orlando, people who learned to fly at slow speeds and make that work, someone like Carlos for example, it's hard to say that any tunnel of any size cannot produce tremendous flyers. the vegas flyaway guys have been here several times, and although their flying style reflects the wind they have to work with, they are all exceptional flyers. certainly a 4 way team will have an easier time in a big tunnel. but doesn't a small tunnel teach you to fly a tighter space?

i think a recirc tunnel will be a nice choice for people when it's cold outside, but i would say that might be the only valid differentiation. you will learn different and equally valuable things at any tunnel.

Say what you mean. Do what you say.

i think a recirc tunnel will be a nice choice for people when it's cold outside, but i would say that might be the only valid differentiation.

They're also quieter and more energy efficient, which is nice if you're concerned about the effect on the environment.

I'm wondering how this is measured..

Eloy for example has more 'working space' due to rounded chamber walls... I'd tend to think tunnels with flat chamber walls have less actual 'usable' area, even if it were otherwise the "same size"

Eloy for example has more 'working space' due to rounded chamber walls...

Depends how it's measured.

I think they are measured 'flat to flat', so an 8 sided "12 foot" tunnel will have more cross sectional area than a 10 or 12 sided "12 foot" tunnel or a perfectly round 12 foot tunnel.

So a round tunnel will have the LEAST amount of usable flying space of tunnels of the same diameter.

It would be exactly the opposite if the polygon tunnels are measured from point to point instead of flat to flat.

To be obtuse, I think a tunnel with a bigger diameter will have more usable area :P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants