d123

what would happen if ...

Stays how? Like a chuckle-headed freeflier held on to it when the pair exited, it fell out on the floor while moving around or it got caught on something attached to the plane?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

it fell out on the floor while moving around and lets say it's on the floor behind the pilot chair. The tandem team gets out and the drougue with the bridal unfolding stays in the plane.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

it fell out on the floor while moving around and lets say it's on the floor behind the pilot chair. The tandem team gets out and the drougue with the bridal unfolding stays in the plane.

My guess is that it will follow them out the door. :S
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

+1

May get shredded in the process, but that rig needs some work anyways to tighten up the BOC pouch if it just 'fell' out.

I wouldn't want to be between a drogue attached to 400 lbs of meat headed away from the plane.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Assuming that it doesn't snag something along the way, it would probably just come out and inflate immediately. In a cargo version it would probably then go over the tail. In a standard version, hopefully the pilot would notice and slip hard to keep it from the tail.

Assuming that it doesn't snag something along the way, it would probably just come out and inflate immediately. In a cargo version it would probably then go over the tail. In a standard version, hopefully the pilot would notice and slip hard to keep it from the tail.

I know you've been around the block way more than I have, but I cannot see how the tandem pair pulling down on the drogue could cause it to inflate and go OVER the tail. The bottom of the cargo door is a good foot under the elevator,

Sure, a fast and hard slip would help, but I don't think the chances would be too high of it wrapping the tail.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

You're assuming that the drogue will be at bridle stretch, I'm assuming that it will come out rolled up sooner than that and inflate with slack.

As of a few years ago people never thought that someone could go over the tail of an Otter...then someone proved them wrong.

Given the parameters he asked:

"it fell out on the floor while moving around and lets say it's on the floor behind the pilot chair. The tandem team gets out and the drougue with the bridal unfolding stays in the plane."

Led me to think that it would be at bridle stretch. :P

But, I do see your point. Either way, that rig shouldn't be in the air with a BOC that loose.

Sometimes things happen. That's why I like to do another round of handle touches as I get to the door. I started doing that after I got a drogue stuck under a flap handle on an old narrow body 182. Luckily another TI was in the plane and we were able to prevent a situation from going badly.

(Mandatory) Checking both drogue and first release (Vector-style rigs with 1st release at left bottom of container) before getting out of the door is part of TI courses in Germany. You'll see all TI's checking drogue and 1st release the moment before they shove out the student. (A full round of handle checks immediately after deploying the drogue is also seen with most TI's and mandatory here at my DZ, BTW.)
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

(Mandatory) Checking both drogue and first release (Vector-style rigs with 1st release at left bottom of container) before getting out of the door is part of TI courses in Germany. You'll see all TI's checking drogue and 1st release the moment before they shove out the student. (A full round of handle checks immediately after deploying the drogue is also seen with most TI's and mandatory here at my DZ, BTW.)

Same here, but what I've done is add another round of handle checks right before the door in addition to the one that I do just after to hooking up the student.

You got to be kidding? Cutaway before releasing the drogue?
Stick to the sequence! Only(*) occasion you cutaway and bypass releasing the drogue is if drogue or drogue bridle become entangled with you or your student and you can't untangle it, but this wasn't talked about here.

(*)OK, side-spin might be treated this way as well, but I know this is controversial and too far from the OT.

You got to be kidding? Cutaway before releasing the drogue?
Stick to the sequence! Only(*) occasion you cutaway and bypass releasing the drogue is if drogue or drogue bridle become entangled with you or your student and you can't untangle it, but this wasn't talked about here.

(*)OK, side-spin might be treated this way as well, but I know this is controversial and too far from the OT.

If the drogue is hung up in the plane and cannot be cleared then
1 Cutaway
2 Pull drogue release
3 Deploy reserve.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Hopefully:

1) Disconnect RSL
2) Cutaway
3) Release drogue

Why on earth would you disconnect the RSL?

Gotta get some freefall out of the deal. I would want to get some distance from the now pissed off pilot before I popped another canopy out.

If the drogue is hung up in the plane and cannot be cleared then
1 Cutaway
2 Pull drogue release
3 Deploy reserve.

4 Watch plane crash?

5 Buy pilot beer, if he survived the bail out.

...If the drogue is hung up in the plane...

Ah, didn't see that from what is was in reply to. Didn#T think of the drogue being stuck. (Thread-related tunnel vision, so to say ;))

Anyway, here in Germany, the 2nd release is routed through the cutaway handle (mandatory) and thus the suggested sequence not possible.

"

Hopefully:

1) Disconnect RSL ???????????????????????????????
2) Cutaway ???????????????????????????????
3) Release drogue

"

Please explain the logic behind pulling handles out-of-sequence.

Hint: more than half of the dead TIs pulled handles out-of-sequence.

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner
Vector TI since 1986
Racer TI since 1996