d123

Where do you draw the line?

I'm a radio instructor and yesterday we've handled a guy who couldn't make the difference between left and right. We've brief the student that we'll use a convention for left and right. Left was turn with the altimeter hand and right was turn with the hand. He landed safe.

Where do you draw the line in terms of awareness in students?
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Count me off the lift if it's his turn to spot :)

Seriously though, it's a case by case basis, if you feel he is unsafe if the radio goes out (can't think for himself), then that would be a no go.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I use to be the radio guy. Had a brain surgeon that took 17 jumps to get a decent landing. 43 jumps and still on level 2.
Student from central america. I wrote escarda and delechay, (spelling) on my hands so I could tell her in spanish. After three jumps this engineer tells us she gets confused in spanish. but does great in english.
Malysian guy. Every load I would stand in front of him before he went up and say: left, stop, right stop, flair stop and move his arms up and down for him until he got it.
They there's: Left turn, no the other left.
Its just a big video game.
Always remember the not so good students make you the most money as long as they keep jumping.
The critique of my first jump was: You walked back! Wanna do it again? I actually had hitchhiked back. Couldn't find the arrow.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

"Ok, make a left turn"
"No, your other left"
"No, your other left"
"Ok, you're on your own, good luck!"

As he went over the berm on the other side of the runway towards the only 4 trees on the entire property of the airport. He hit the tree, but later said he aimed for the tree because it "didn't look like an intimidating tree." He was then and there nicknamed "lefty."

He was OK, minus the case of beer he owed for some reason or another. He also went on to do a few hundred more jumps.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hi d1,
Where do you draw the line?????? IN THE SAND!!!! With your Sword, like the guy in the movie about the Alamo!!! 'Cuz that's where you are!! There's "Left" and "Right," "Got that?? "Port" and "Starboard" (Nautical, also used in Aviation) The Port or Left side is "Red" as in "Port Wine" as opposed to "Starboard" side which is "Green!!!" {Note the red and green lights on the sides of airplanes, boats and ships!!!] NOW!!!! "If" these geeks can't figure out their Port from their Starboard "Then" they need to go take up a different sport!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

"Ok, make a left turn"
"No, your other left"

Yip, that's exactly the way most of my radio instructions went. This was enough to correct me :-)
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

if we got a bad one on the radio when they were walking back we would call on the radio "hey you dropped ten bucks behind you on your right " amazing how they got that right! and they couldnt say that they couldnt understand the radio commands either

Wait until you get a para glider. They are terrified to go past half brakes. And they always hang on the toggles.
So they have no forward speed and turn slower than my ma drives her car.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

One DZ I used to jump at had the student gear set up with one red toggle and one green toggle. If a student was getting confused with left/right, the instructor would switch to red/green.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Wait until you get a para glider. They are terrified to go past half brakes..

Getting past your daft generalisation ...... Not all of us't:P - never seem PG acro then:S

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

One DZ I used to jump at had the student gear set up with one red toggle and one green toggle. If a student was getting confused with left/right, the instructor would switch to red/green.

It's a cool solution for a color blind student :P
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Hold up your left hand, palm away from you and put your forefinger up and your thumb sideways. It makes an L. I used to do marching band in high school. One day the drum major got mad at some of us for screwing up and yelled that at us. Been using it ever since.

Another one my girlfriend just said was ask if they were right or left handed and have them use that. :)