steelyeye

Looking for photo of result of container opening in aircraft

Does anyone have an electronic copy of a photo of the results of a container coming open in the plane and the damage done to the side of the aircraft (presumably by the jumper going through the side vice out the door)? We have a really poor quality picture, and I know I have seen one on-line, but can't find it.

My students are always stunned when they see even the poor picture. Makes a big impression!

Thanks - Bill

"Better a has-been than a never-was. Better a never-was than a never-tried-to-be..."

N34621 is registered to a Stinson 10A but that looks like a Cessna 206?

How about this Craig. ;)

N3463L
Serial Number U206-0763
Type Registration Corporation
Manufacturer Name CESSNA
Certificate Issue Date 11/08/2000
Model TU206B
Status Valid
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine
Type Engine Reciprocating
Pending Number Change None
Dealer No
Date Change
Authorized None
Mode S Code 50753144
MFR Year 1966
Fractional Owner NO
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

N34621 is registered to a Stinson 10A but that looks like a Cessna 206?

How about this Craig. ;)

N3463L

How about this Ed :P

N3462L

Sadly, seems as though it was fatal :(

ALEXANDRIA, LA      CESSNA 206                     N3462L Fatal(1)     Part 91 General Aviation 

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

We had a quite similar one printed in Parachutist about two years ago, only it was 3855G. The whole thing was senseless and the pilot had to land with aileron and throttle as the lowest experienced jumper of 150 jumps refused to get out. two other jumpers stayed in also. Now back to the cause Bob was on a load before jumping a PC in a Style -Master type rig long risers out the top of the reserve container. He was making a second jump-mastering load with a B-4 container and attached the same reserve to the low mounted attachments. He commented "Hey look here as the reserve bounced off his knees as he walked to the plane. We always took off our reserves and put them in the corner while running the static line under our kneeling legs.When the girl was in the front side of the door Bob had the static-line down his left side then held up at her right shoulder . As she left it went down the front of him firing the center pull handle. It extracted him through the side.To this day I doubt the girl doesnt know that she didnt cause the problem. His mother was going to sue the parachute sales because if his Pop-Top had come in on time her precious darling would still be alive today. It was a hush hush story until a few years ago . Goes to show if you cant trust a story as big as a small band-aid why should you trust the rest of the paper that can cover the whole room.

I've seen the picture while I was reading emergency procedures.

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/emergencies/emergency_aircraft.shtml#opem

The jumper whose reserve escaped out the door of this aircraft was lucky; he survived.

The 2nd picture says something about a static line student but nothing detailed. It might be lekstrom10k story.

Edit: to add the link.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

This is a King Air N32229 currently owned by Skydive Utah as referred to above.

The pictured damaged occured more than a decade prior to Skydive Utah acquiring N32229 and prior to N32229 being used for any skydiving operations.

This damage did not occur during a skydiving operation, but rather when the King was being used for equipment testing and a test device had a parachute wrap the tail. There is video; I do not have permission from the owner of the video to post it. I do believe it has made its way to YouTube.

The photo is used with permission from Michael Owens aka "Sparky," who was in the aircraft as a Safety Officer when the incident occurred.