katzurki

Tandem Student Training

Where can I find a comprehensive and easy to understand instruction for a first-time fun-tandem student? It doesn't have to be big, indeed, a typical speech a good TI gives to every one of their students would more than suffice. Things like where to keep their hands on exit, to arch, etc.

I strongly suspect it's buried somewhere in the depths of DZ.com, but have been unable to locate it.

We don't get many English-only first-timers at our DZ, but they do pop up from time to time and I am not always there to translate for them... and the universal language (Ah/Eh/Uh + gestures :)
Thanks in advance. :)

what type of preparation? Although the outcome is usually the same, each TM may have a different way teaching. Relative Workshop or Strong may have something on their websites.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I can not speak for everyone but at my DZ, after getting the tandem rating at some point new TI will sit through the course giving by others. Then S&TA will sit through the first few the new TI gives. In your case you could just as to sit through the course with the first time tandem students
Kirk

not what you are looking for - but i was at skydive dallas last weekend, and they had a great tandem prep video. very clear and helpful. i was impressed. you might ask someone from there.

(i did learn how much post-aff, tandems aren't really so much fun anymore. but altitude is still amazing, their dz was great, and their training seemed really excellent.)
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

Briefings vary from DZ to DZ and even instructor to instructor. Different airplanes, different DZ politics, different instructor preferences... it all makes for a different briefing just about anywhere you go.

I've worked as TI at three different dropzones, with three very different briefings...

Elvisio "scream if you're having fun" Rodriguez

Have the TI at your DZ write up his/her step-by-step tandem instruction and translate it. Or, if you need assistance on getting it translated, I can help with that.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I guess what I am looking for is the ground preparation of a tandem jump in written form.

If it's not a working/instructional tandem, and it's just a fun go for a ride tandem, how's this.

"Relax and have FUN, I'll do all the rest". ;)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Every instructor is different...here's mine:

"Hi...you're name is (blank)? I'm Dave and you're going to be my victim today. OK, the way this works, we've four points of connection. These two up here (point), I'll hook up as soon as we get in the airplane and won't unhook till after we land. So you're not getting away from me. These two down here are adjustable, to keep our bodies tight together in freefall instead of washing around on each other. They're not real comfortable, so I won't worry about them till later. During the climb to altitude, you'll be sitting between my legs, and then about 5 minutes before we jump I'll have you get up on my lap and I'll hook these two up and tighten them down. When the door opens, it gets a little intimidating. It's windy and loud and might be a little cold. The camera man will climb out under the wing, and then it's our turn to get in the door. I want you to cross your arms before we head that direction, because otherwise it's often times a lot like trying to push a cat into a toilet (exhibit outstreched arms with locked elbows). This is where it gets REAL intimidating. I'm going to have you duck your head under the top of the door and will hang you almost completely outside of the airplane. Only the top of your butt will be left on the door frame. Keep your legs together and pull your head back, and then we'll go. As soon as we leave, I want you to stick your belly out and your legs back between mine. (Stand behind them) Can you reach back and kick me in the butt with one foot? Cool. That's what I'll want both of your legs to do. A lot of people forget that, and if you do you'll feel my heels in your thighs. I'm not going to wrestle with you up there, it'll just be a gentle reminder. As soon as I've got that little drogue parachute out that you saw in the video, I'll tap you on the shoulders. This is your signal to bring your arms out, I want to see them approximately straight across the shoulders and 90 degrees at the elbows. If you're not comfortable with this, just keep them in and that'll be fine. Outside of the heels in thighs and the shoulder tap, the only other signal I'd give you in freefall is to grab your forehead and pull up. I'll only do that if you're completely fixated on the ground because that makes for really boring video. So if you feel it, pull your chin up, look at the camera, and smile, stick your tongue out, scream, whatever you want. The only part of me you can see in freefall is my hands and the most important thing for you to remember is that you can't grab them. If you do the panicked swimmer thing and lock on to both of my wrists, who's going to open the parachute? (let that sink in) Right...I have plans tonight, so don't grab my hands. The camera man may come in and grab your arm. If he does, it's ok to grab his back, but if he shakes it, let it go. We can't talk in freefall, that's only in the movies, but as the parachute is opening you'll hear me yelling "Watch him, watch him, watch him". This is your reminder to watch the camera man fall away. Trust me, it's a very cool visual. Then I'll tell you we have a good parachute. If we don't, I'll say "ARCH!" and want you to get in the same position as when we left the airplane (arms crossed, legs back, belly out), but I don't expect that to happen. Then I'll have you stand up on my feet and I'll loosen up those bottom straps because we're not in freefall anymore and they've done their job. It feels a little odd, but don't worry, you're not getting away from me. We'll do one practice landing, with both of your knees drawn up toward your chest and then we'll be free to fly the parachute around however we want...peacefully enjoying the scenery or doing spins & stuff, provided we're close to the airport. Remember on the landing, we want my feet to touch the ground first so we don't faceplant, and we want your legs bent so we don't injury your knees. The farther up you can pull your legs the better.

So the rules are...belly out & legs back on exit, arms out when I tap your shoulders. Make sure you look at the camera and smile, and don't grab my hands. After the parachute opens we can talk again. Sound easy enough? Cool, let's go play"

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Every instructor is different...here's mine:

"Hi...you're name is (blank)? I'm Dave and you're going to be my victim today. OK, the way this works, we've four points of connection. These two up here (point), I'll hook up as soon as we get in the airplane and won't unhook till after we land. So you're not getting away from me. These two down here are adjustable, to keep our bodies tight together in freefall instead of washing around on each other. They're not real comfortable, so I won't worry about them till later. During the climb to altitude, you'll be sitting between my legs, and then about 5 minutes before we jump I'll have you get up on my lap and I'll hook these two up and tighten them down. When the door opens, it gets a little intimidating. It's windy and loud and might be a little cold. The camera man will climb out under the wing, and then it's our turn to get in the door. I want you to cross your arms before we head that direction, because otherwise it's often times a lot like trying to push a cat into a toilet (exhibit outstreched arms with locked elbows). This is where it gets REAL intimidating. I'm going to have you duck your head under the top of the door and will hang you almost completely outside of the airplane. Only the top of your butt will be left on the door frame. Keep your legs together and pull your head back, and then we'll go. As soon as we leave, I want you to stick your belly out and your legs back between mine. (Stand behind them) Can you reach back and kick me in the butt with one foot? Cool. That's what I'll want both of your legs to do. A lot of people forget that, and if you do you'll feel my heels in your thighs. I'm not going to wrestle with you up there, it'll just be a gentle reminder. As soon as I've got that little drogue parachute out that you saw in the video, I'll tap you on the shoulders. This is your signal to bring your arms out, I want to see them approximately straight across the shoulders and 90 degrees at the elbows. If you're not comfortable with this, just keep them in and that'll be fine. Outside of the heels in thighs and the shoulder tap, the only other signal I'd give you in freefall is to grab your forehead and pull up. I'll only do that if you're completely fixated on the ground because that makes for really boring video. So if you feel it, pull your chin up, look at the camera, and smile, stick your tongue out, scream, whatever you want. The only part of me you can see in freefall is my hands and the most important thing for you to remember is that you can't grab them. If you do the panicked swimmer thing and lock on to both of my wrists, who's going to open the parachute? (let that sink in) Right...I have plans tonight, so don't grab my hands. The camera man may come in and grab your arm. If he does, it's ok to grab his back, but if he shakes it, let it go. We can't talk in freefall, that's only in the movies, but as the parachute is opening you'll hear me yelling "Watch him, watch him, watch him". This is your reminder to watch the camera man fall away. Trust me, it's a very cool visual. Then I'll tell you we have a good parachute. If we don't, I'll say "ARCH!" and want you to get in the same position as when we left the airplane (arms crossed, legs back, belly out), but I don't expect that to happen. Then I'll have you stand up on my feet and I'll loosen up those bottom straps because we're not in freefall anymore and they've done their job. It feels a little odd, but don't worry, you're not getting away from me. We'll do one practice landing, with both of your knees drawn up toward your chest and then we'll be free to fly the parachute around however we want...peacefully enjoying the scenery or doing spins & stuff, provided we're close to the airport. Remember on the landing, we want my feet to touch the ground first so we don't faceplant, and we want your legs bent so we don't injury your knees. The farther up you can pull your legs the better.

So the rules are...belly out & legs back on exit, arms out when I tap your shoulders. Make sure you look at the camera and smile, and don't grab my hands. After the parachute opens we can talk again. Sound easy enough? Cool, let's go play"

When you do tandems you like to hear yourself talk, dont you..... :D:P:D

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com