freekflyguy

New Tandem Instructor here

Badass!

Welcome to being a TI, its one of the most fun "jobs" you can have as a jumper. Remember to always put your student first (pun sort of not-intended) and remember that at the end of the day, it's all about them and not about you. Remember that a tandem jump is not just another skydive and point into the sun as well as smile.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

As a side note, I prefer dark lenses for myself, especially if there's video on the tandem. It sort of takes my personality out of the skydive, if that makes sense. Basically, they can't see my eyes so I'm still there, but it leaves the video to be more about the student.

Just IMO, take it or leave it as you like.
:)

Hey, Buz, Welcome!

Especially where you live, where skydiving is seasonal at best, it's harder than DZ's where weather is better year-round.

Tandems are the best of times, and the worst of times. There is just about nothing better than riding along with some canopy fighter pilot wannabe who is hooting and hollering the whole time.

And then they try and kill you, and you wonder $30?

:P

Be cool. Be safe. Be positive.

:)

come on, that shit happens to all of us.

Hmmm, can't say that it does happen to all of us.....THINK before you throw. ;)

Be safe.
Ed

Agree, nice stable exits, face to the prop and this is not likely to happen.
At the moment I have about 500 tandems and uptill now I NEVER used my droque to gain stability!!
This situation on the photo might develop to a side-spin!

Another remark to this photo: DRESS FOR SUCCES!!!

The one throwing the droque is the one trying to kill someone

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

"I NEVER used my droque to gain stability"

I believe ALL tandem instructors ALWAYS use the drogue to gain stability. Try flying tandem terminal without one*.

It's always a good idea to pull something at some stage. And I reckon using the word "never" invites trouble.

Deuce, thanks for being brave enough to post this one. Looking at the background, maybe someone was in a hurry with the drogue is all. As a camera person with this viewpoint, I'd rather be looking at that than a reserve in this situation :o

How's this for advice then - "don't be in too much of a hurry to throw the drogue". Might as well try and fly the pair some first.

And dress for success? Invest the time in training and in the door to get their body position where you want it to be. Our friend Lisa really hasn't understood the significance of what we've asked her to do here.

L.

*No, don't, scratch that, don't do that, that's not advice, you know what I mean.

Hmmm, can't say that it does happen to all of us.....THINK before you throw.

I honestly believe that if it hasn't happened to a TI, it will happen to the TI. Its happened to me when I thought I was on the relative wind and I was a few degrees off (noting drastic, I could tell, but you could barely tell on the video) and the one time I really honest to god tossed for stability was when I tossed the drogue going through 6k trying to overcome a side spin. I had just rotated drogue side up (somehow we were able to get rolling a little bit) and just said "fuck it, I'm getting too low." If that wouldn't have worked, the reserve would have been used to gain stability.[:/]

Its a long story about how it happened (and there much more to it then just me arching), if anyone wants I'll PM it, but I don't want to take over this thread with that story.

Yes, its a worn out cliche, but I tend to believe it in this instance.

So far apparently you have proven my worn out cliche wrong, I really hope you continue to (and I have full faith that you could very well do that).:)

gotta agree with dave. If you carry that attitude that it won't happen, I'd say your asking for it. And when it does.....and someone see's it....your gonna get a ton of shit for it. I like the humble approach myself. After all, we're only human.
my pics & stuff!

"I NEVER used my droque to gain stability"

I believe ALL tandem instructors ALWAYS use the drogue to gain stability. Try flying tandem terminal without one*.

And dress for success? Invest the time in training and in the door to get their body position where you want it to be. Our friend Lisa really hasn't understood the significance of what we've asked her to do here.

L.

*No, don't, scratch that, don't do that, that's not advice, you know what I mean.

What's the problem in flying a tandem to tandemterminal for some time. In the early days there were no droques only tandemterminal.
To my opinion the droque's primary function is to slow you down. Aditional advantage is it stabelises you in freefall and can be used for opening the main.

DRESS FOR SUCCES means buy yourself a suit with enough drag to your arms and legs. This gives you an aerodynamic advantage. With a suitable jumpsuit you make your job so much easier.

Does not mean you do not have to spend time to "shape" the passenger in the door. But once out of the door you need your body to fly.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

What's the problem in flying a tandem to tandem-terminal for some time? In the early days there were no droques only tandem-terminal.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes!
Back in the day (1986 and 1987) I did a bunch of tandem-terminal jumps with a drogue-less Vector I.
60 seconds from 19,000' was my longest freefall on that rig.
Opening PD360s at tandem-terminal always hurt!

Big, baggy jumpsuits helped a lot, but the instructor's body position was still the primary factor determining whether or not we were stable.

These days I sometimes delay throwing the drogue - just to prove that I've still got it - but rarely delay more than 10 seconds for fear of tearing a reserve.

What's the problem in flying a tandem to tandemterminal for some time. In the early days there were no droques only tandemterminal.

You guys don't have to do any tandem terminal jumps to qualify? I couldn't find any reference in the IRM Essentials (sorry Ton, I have no idea what the Dutch/Germans do).

In the UK, prospective Tandem Instructors are required to do four jumps (from a minimum of nine) where they do a combination of stable/unstable exits and turns, without and with an experienced skydiver on the front of them before deploying the drogue. See section 2c of Form 152 - Tandem Instructor Training Syllabus
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

You guys don't have to do any tandem terminal jumps to qualify?

Craig

TI's here is the US only are required to do their last eval jump as a terminal tandem.

Unfortunatly some TI's rely on the drouge for stablity after exit, and never learn any techniques to get the students stable before throwing the drouge.

Shit, I even know of a TI Examiner that gives ratings and never even takes the student on any of the jumps!

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Shit, I even know of a TI Examiner that gives ratings and never even takes the student on any of the jumps!

or better yet, the TI examiner that's uncurrent....doesn't even do them.

Thanks, I would have added that also but I forgot about that! :o

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com