TALONSKY

Has any TM ever taken a paraplegic on a tandem before?

My brother has a close friend that is a paraplegic and would love to skydive. I was thinking if I strapped his legs together and ankle locked him the freefall would be fine. Then for landing I was thinking he would be able to lift his legs up by his hands and that would leave only his legs past the knees down. I feel that I would be able to lift the rest of his legs with mine as I do for my students that can't lift their legs. I feel it is possible but wanted to know what others thoughts on it are before trying to approach my DZO.
Kirk

A few weeks back a paraplegic made a tandem at DeLand. He was so excited upon landing. He loved it. Everyone gave kudos to the TM for taking on the task. Friends wheeled him to the plane and had the wheelchair waiting for him at the peas.

Great day.

Let's all do this safe enough that we can still do this in our 90's.

There is a good pamphlet on the subject, called "Tandem Skydiving With Wheelchair Dependent Persons" by Paul Murphy.

It was a seminar at the 1995 PIA Sympsium.

I think Relative Workshop has them for sale:

[email protected]

Or you may be able to order it from the Australian Parachute Federation:

[email protected]
Arrive Safely

John

At this point it is just an idea. I am wanting to gather information so I can evaluate if it is something I could do, before I think about going to the DZO with it. Even if I decide not to there have been enough help on this thread that I have someplace I can send him to do it.
OH, I have taken JR to and that is what started the thought of this because talking to JR he does not try to control his legs at all in freefall(he just lets them go where they will)
Hey thanks for the info everyone.
Kirk

I've seen a TI do a jump with a paraplegic, after talking to the passenger they decided to strap the passengers legs to the TI's legs so he could control him in freefall and, I think, they fastened the passengers arms across his chest. Worked well but the TI was a very experienced TI.

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

I've seen this guy do at least a couple with someone I think has cerebral palsy. (Not sure how many total he has done with this one woman who keeps coming back.)

[URL http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/photos/popup.asp?SubID=578&Weekly=1&page=4>itle=Week%20in%20Review&css=%2Fphotos%2Fgtitle%2Ecss&pubdate=12/24/2004]Vlad at Skydive Snohomish, Snohomish WA[/URL]

(This picture is not that jumper, but it is that TM.)

I believe her legs are strapped together, and she has a lifter strap that connects her leg binding to somewhere else on the harness. I believe in freefall her legs are extended, and under canopy the TM uses the strap to lift her legs and secure them.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I personally have taken 20-25 paraplegics and sevral quads. The most important thing to remember is that their bones become very brittle due to lack of movement and are very easily broken. I do put a strap around their knees with a line that runs up to the chest strap. Upon openning, I pull on the line, clip it to the chest strap, so that their knees are up on their chest. This keeps their feet well above mine for landing.
blue skies,

art

I have jumped with a few paraplegics.
Knee and ankle straps are important.
Ask them to grab the knee strap before landing to pull their legs up and out of the way for a butt slide landing.
It also helps if the videographer knows how help get the student's feet out the door.

Our most exciting video from last year involved our local tandem examiner and a paraplegic. The pair had already done a half-dozen jumps together, but on this occasion, they did not exit the King Air square to the wind. The student's legs got out in front, they laid over on their right side and quickly fell out of focus, spinning.
Can you say "side spin?"
The TE's eyes were mighty big after landing?
Hee!
Hee!

Hey You Yo's,
At Chicagoland Skydiving we have a Boogie every year for the MS crowd and I watched Nathan Dexter take a few of the more hindered people up. He became my new Idol that day...
There are definately ways to do it and make it easier, and yes you should have your stuff together.
You Rock Nathan...
loudtom the yo
p.s. yager bombs RULE!!!
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

We had a quad at Gold Coast that we took on 25 tandem jumps back in '97...became the first quad to get his restricted A license. What worked best for us was to tape his thighs together a few inches above the knees and tape his ankles to the TI's ankles, with the bottom of the TI's feet a few inches below the passengers. Found after the first jump when his arms came loose that they did not need to be secured...they just naturally went to the proper position.

His medical conditions got too severe for him to continue jumping, when he passed away his mother requested we take his ashes up for a final jump. Mike Mandel was his name...we called him MadDog.
Miami

ok paraplegics can skydive with doctors consent, somthing to remember, then find an experienced dz near youy, be specifice on what you need what they have and plan safly, double up your safety and find a realy good ti (i have about 100 with them ) o and brief the support team well!
i dont strap legs to my legs as i need my legs to land
then its ok for your friend to skydive!

just my thoughts
life is a journey not to arrive at the grave in a pristine condition but to skid in sideways kicking and screaming, shouting "fuck me what a ride!.