airdvr

Skydiver’s Near-Death Experience Points To Lax Industry Oversight

Am I the only one who thinks it's wrong for the FAA regs to make the pilot responsible for every jumper having legal gear...

Yes!
The legal precedent goes back many centuries to the days when sailing ship captains were held responsible for everything that happened on board ship. Consider that some sailing ships were away from their home lands for three or four years. There were to radios, no telegrams, no teletype, no telephones, mail was slower than ships, etc.
Some one had to be held responsible for everything that occurred on board a sailing ship, so they held ship's captains responsible.
Airplane pilots are held to the same legal standard as ship's captains.

This will be a glorious day. nothing will stop us from glorification. AND IF death shall greet us.... let him be large.

There is nothing romantic about death. On a DZ Someone has to deal with theimmediate effects. I can assure you it is NOT nice.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

;)

I was at a function with some senior FAA (people) who knew nothing of the past events in CA last year, these are a few of their comments:

"Let me get this straight,...guy jumps out of aircraft,...dosn't follow proper procedures,...goes unconscious,...AND STILL LANDS ON THE AIRPORT, and you people tell me skydiving isn't safe?" "AND now your telling me this individual is seeking more media attention claiming he was wronged,..somehow?" "Did any one mention how lucky / safe skydiving is/ under these circumstances?"

"Don't you guy's (meaning the USPA) ,...have more stringent regulations/ requirments than we? (meaning the FAA)"

When the subject of self inspection / self regulation came up:

"It would take one investigator the rest of there life to fully inspect just one typicall airline type aircraft,...we absolutly depend upon the industry to self-regulate,...there is no way this agency can possibly ensure the safety of the flying public without industry co-operation and support."

On the subject re "dragging" "local" (meaning GATO / FSDO/ etc., personnell out of the local office,) "most of our general aviation offices require an A&P certificate, as a base requirment,... that dosen't mean they are familiar with every thing out there." "You may have gotten someone who is just not that familiar with parachute equipment,...and if they knew the media or a lawyer was involved,...well no one likes those kind of calls..."

Overall the general mood was one of disbelife and incrudulity that somehow The FAA would be required to take a more hands on role, generally the people I spoke with indicated "Your association," knows more about skydiving than we do (FAA.) The mere suggestion that they underetake a stronger role and the media comments about "Lax Industry Oversight" WELL..."their just wrong and indicate how out of touch they are with this industry."

This was coming from people who started their aviation careers in Korea, served in Vietnam, desert storm, flight instructors, military, with an average of 15,000 hours in various type aircraft!

The one point many wanted to stress was the fact regarding letters to the FAA, they indicated that any letter they recived would be taken seriously, and they pointed out that writing and vocalizing directly to them would mean a lot, BECAUSE "We just don't get a lot of letters anymore."

They suggested, as do I, to point out that the USPA and this industry is currently doing a good job and we don't need ill-conceived requlations originating from a media hyped with an agenda and a basic mis-understanding of an "already well regulated industry."

I was totally floored when a 60 plus retired administrator told me that in their opinion "[WE] know more about what we are doing than ,...they."

Just wanted to share this as I haden't seen this mentioned in any of these post's...
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I was totally floored when a 60 plus retired administrator told me that in their opinion "[WE] know more about what we are doing than ,...they."

Just wanted to share this as I haden't seen this mentioned in any of these post's...

For the most part, virtually every experienced skydiver (and anyone who's been through a proper coach course) knows that involving the FAA in anything we do is a potentially grave mistake. The last thing anyone wants is an FAA ruling or opinion on any aspect of our sport.
In other words, this is painfully obvious to most.
If indeed Mr. Florez contacted the FAA to be any part of his mistake, it simply is another indicator of his lack of knowledge about the sport.

:(

This has not gone away,...

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/gerardo-flores-parachute-opens-early-durying-skydive-scary-video

These people are well funded and this lawsuit is going to go on for years!

The FAA has repeatedly demonstrated that they will respond after the fact based upon puplic pressure.

The FAA has done this on numerous occasions in the past.

If the skydiving community lays silently and does nothing, then we all deserve what is in the pipeline!

The FAA responds to public pressure, our lobby the USPA and the PIA, are basically silent on this particular issue, you need to write to the FAA in support of skydiving and in particular about the egregious treatment this lobby in Monteray, particurly about the ficticious media reporting coming out of SAn Francisco area. Gerado is a scam artist and he is going to win at a steep cost to everyone else!

Just because of your silence!
C

[:/]
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

As Stratostar mentioned, that web link was pretty old, back from early February.

But as for the role of the FAA, I never did get a reply to my emails either from the San Jose FSDO or Allen Silver, who were involved in the damning but poorly written FAA report...

As Stratostar mentioned, that web link was pretty old, back from early February.

But as for the role of the FAA, I never did get a reply to my emails either from the San Jose FSDO or Allen Silver, who were involved in the damning but poorly written FAA report...

Al Silver reported the gear in the condition it was brought to him, not the condition it was jumped by GF. From my personal experience, I can tell you that law enforcement has no clue how to handle and store parachute equipment as evidence. And that's after the EMT's have had their fun with it (not their fault, that is their job). So, the gear may have had issues, but that may or may not be the condition of the gear when it was jumped.

Besides, he landed a fully inflated main in an open field, we should all be so lucky!

Jump more, post less!

Besides, he landed a fully inflated main in an open field, we should all be so lucky!

OK... now you're just milking it! :S;)

It ain't braggin' if ya really done it! ;)B|

If ya' got it, flaunt it!
;)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239