Jazzman2

Trivia parachute

Everyone - not worth clicking through.
Just standard well known stuff. (DaVinci, Kittinger, etc)

Whatever i didn't know some of the stuff, just because you didn't find it worthwhile doesn't mean it isn't.... this is a prime reason on why so many people don't come to this helpful site because their posts are shot down by know-it-alls
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

Man, you sure hit the nail right on the head with that one.

Sometimes in our sport and others, we Old Farts puff up our chest and think we already have all of the answers.

Just remember this day when you are older. It will remind you not to talk down to a younger jumper, or anyone else.

Man, you sure hit the nail right on the head with that one.

Sometimes in our sport and others, we Old Farts puff up our chest and think we already have all of the answers.

Just remember this day when you are older. It will remind you not to talk down to a younger jumper, or anyone else.

thanks!!! thats good advice to follow.

I get sick and tired of asking a group of old tooters if i can join them on their jump and get shot down with answers like "no way noob, or expert flyers only"
then i laugh when i see them crash their landings in because they don't know how to land their parachuters or their canopys are so old that they have no flare left in them
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

Petejones:

Sure, we all learn things over time.

But that site is one of those crappy "factoids" sites with short, oversimplified information, some of it erroneous or useless except to a 10 year old.

The original post was therefore pretty much spam.

So it isn't any good even for those new to the history of skydiving.

Google "history of parachuting" and you'll easily get better stuff. I think some of the best info on parachuting history is in books -- I'm not sure what single web site I'd send someone to, if they are new to the subject. What a good web site would be, that's a valid question.

And I think your reputation on the forums is becoming one of a newbie who jumps in with their opinion in all sorts of things where it really has very little weight or importance, especially when done in a short sarcastic sounding way. Not all your posts are bad; some are valid critiques of something a previous poster wrote.

Act like a know-it-all newbie jumper and you'll get shot down by know-it-all senior jumpers. ;)

If you like it, go for it. Just that there are a lot of internet "expert" sites which are full of misinformation. Mostly the "experts" are people who know nothing about the subject but just grab other stuff from the net.
I'm not a know-it-all, but I know a lot. And I jump with newbies all the time.

HW

When I started jumping, the older guys at first were not sure if they wanted me on a load with them, but they didn't say anything to me other than, "keep your third eye open kid". They let me jump and fly into their formations and all of them kept their third eye one me and gave me a lot of room on break-off, wave-off, dump and landing. After a few like that things got better and better. Because of what those guys did for me 45 years ago I am still friends with most of them today. Some of us still get together to jump a few times a year (with some of the new kids on our loads).

To me, jumping an old rig or new rig is the same thing. If you don't take the time to learn how to fly what you have, the results will be the same as if you try to fly and land with your eyes closed. The same thing goes for spotting or making a good exit from any type of aircraft. If you don't take the time to check the winds, do a pre-flight and or dirt-dive, you might be the one checking out. Just keep in mind you could take someone with you.

Now, if all that sounds like an Old Fart funning on and on, I don't mind because that is how the friends I still have after 45 years in the sport always talked to me when I first started. Now days they just say, "cut the shit Dennis. We are finished jumping for the day, so pass the beer".

then i laugh when i see them crash their landings in because they don't know how to land their parachuters or their canopies are so old that they have no flare left in them

Sometimes ya get to last a few decades in the sport not because of what you do, but becasue of what ya DON'T do...like not jumping with an obvious DGIT, or give a shit about trying to impress the latest loud mouth self proclamed hot shot.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Act like a know-it-all newbie jumper and you'll get shot down by know-it-all senior jumpers. ;)

Poor Petey's been told that soooo many times already. It's a wonder that you guys continue to feed the troll.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Not true. The air we push in front of us would reverse the teardrop. Don't believe me. Watch Masters of the Sky. Carl Boenish catches on film 2 guys freefalling thru an open flat circular canopy. You can see the nylon being pushed away from them before they actually come in contact with it. They all lived, lucky they missed the person. Snapped I think 15 suspention lines 550 cord. Got pretty messed up.

Good one Van,

That was at Elsinore. I think the only one to get hurt on that one was Willy Mombo. He is the one on the right. The 550 line cut him between fingers like a saw and he almost lost his hand.

That makes my skin creep just thinking about it.

I'll take rain drops, sharp of blunt over a 550 line saw any day.

Regards
Dennis

Whatever i didn't know some of the stuff, just because you didn't find it worthwhile doesn't mean it isn't....

There a lot of things you don’t know but that has never slowed you down before. What pchapman did was offer knowledgeable advice about what could be found on the site.

this is a prime reason on why so many people don't come to this helpful site because their posts are shot down by know-it-alls

Don’t present such a large target to the “know-it-alls”. If you manage to stay around long enough you will learn there are no “know-it-alls” in this sport, all the “experts” are dead.

I get sick and tired of asking a group of old tooters if i can join them on their jump and get shot down

Maybe if you loose the attitude on the ground you can get a chance to show your “madd skillz” in the air. If this happens to you once shame on them, if it happens 2 or 3 times you might what to look some where else for the reason.

Just an "old tooter" with a shot across your bow. ;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

True, also at altitude they are often frozen, ouch! I had a canopy collision about 10 years ago. I thought I cleared the air, my friend spiraled down behind and below me. I spiraled checking out a new canopy. Stopped and looked ahead just in time to see my friends end cell that my head went thru. Ripped it from leading to trailing edge snapping the 4 outer lines. We must have had a closing speed of at least 70 mph. I then flew next to him and said you should probably land it, as we were now under 1500'. And it seemed to be flying almost normal. He and I landed safely. The only thing I had was a sore neck and a repair bill. He was nice said shit happens and split the repair with me. Live and learn, I could have be more vigilant.

When I started jumping, the older guys at first were not sure if they wanted me on a load with them, but they didn't say anything to me other than, "keep your third eye open kid". They let me jump and fly into their formations and all of them kept their third eye one me and gave me a lot of room on break-off, wave-off, dump and landing. After a few like that things got better and better. Because of what those guys did for me 45 years ago I am still friends with most of them today. Some of us still get together to jump a few times a year (with some of the new kids on our loads).

when I was a caddy a very long time ago at the local C.C. I noticed that the bigger the golfer the more humble they were. That it was the interim golfer who was so full of himself.
When I was just starting out in skydiving I was spending winters in DeLand. One day, when I had under 100 jumps, Tommy Piras announced a call for the first 20 people to show up to manifest for the sunset load. I misunderstood and assumed the announcement was just to fill the load so I manifested. When I learned it was for a 20-way I scratched because I simply was not up to that level and I knew it. Tommy caught what I was doing and told me to get back on the load. I explained my mistake. He repeated, "get back on the load." I tried to explain again but he would have none of it. So I did. I manifested again. In the dirt dive Tommy took all the time I needed even though there were 18 other people who didn't really need any of it. I was assigned a slack slot and away we went. I didn't do bad at all, considering Tommy wouldn't let go of me. After we landed (I was nervous about landing with all those canopies so I landed in the soccer field across the street) and everyone was high-fiving everyone, Tommy sought me out, walking past all others, high-fived me first and congratulated me. We shared a few beers together and some other stuff and had a great evening. Now, of course, Tommy looms large in my respect and it set a standard for me to this day, 21 years later. Any "big" skydiver who looks down on the little ones could use a lesson. And they may have forgotten their own humble pasts. Every newb has the potential to change our sport forever. Every beginner might be the next Tommy or Jerry or Olav or Jack Jeffries. Even if they're not, disrespect for anyone regardless is still disrespect for the sport. Frankly, for me, anyone who cannot be bothered with a beginner would make my day by moving on to something else.

Great story Kim, thanks.

I would like to think there are more jump stories like that than from the other side of the rusty coin.

Along this train of thought, checkout:

http://www.starcrestawards.com/history/history_the_arvin_good_guys_part_2.html

There is a Luis Melendwz Jr. picture with Paul Gorman, on his 87th jump closing 10th into the first 10-way back in 1967. At that time my brother and I were also jumping at Taft and when that first 10 way happened everyone was happy to see it put together in that order. It was a real boost to a lot of new jumpers and things started to snowball for RW from there on. Before that event Accuracy and Style were the main focus of the PCA / USPA. They were watching from a short distance how RW was unfolding in about the same way the ski crowd looked at Snow Boarders when that sport first got started. RW jumpers were what I call the outcast shredders during that time of evolution in our sport.

Because of the spirit brought to the sport by the RW jumpers, young and old, a few years later RW became a major part of the US Nationals and also at the World meets.

The first big 10-way meet outside of California was held at Z-Hills in 1969. The California team, of which I was a member, was also made up of older very experienced, and younger not so experienced jumpers. We came in 2nd (disclaimer: by only a few seconds) to the team form Chicago.

So you see, I am under the mindset that sometimes it was or is the old, and sometimes it was or is the young that put the stick in the spokes, but it always takes both sides to clean up the mess and move things ahead.

All in all, the next time around, I want to come back as a bird, so I don’t have to pack between flights.

I guess you can tell I still love this sport.

Regards,
Dennis

If you'll permit me another Tommy tale I remembered after I mentioned above about how even today's beginners could turn into tomorrows leaders: Tommy told this to me a little later in the year after the 20 way thing. I've told this one here before but it figures in here.
Before Tommy had ever jumped he was living in Az. with his brother. One day on his way home, his brother had seen parachutes in the air and rushed home and told Tommy. Tommy found the DZ to have a look. He connected with the DZO and talked about instruction and assorted things. As they were chatting a load was dropping and they watched, when they saw a malfunction. "Black death" the DZO said. When the reserve came out, the DZO said,"White life." Tommy was really impressed with what he saw - an apparent potential fatal situation saved by the reaction of the skydiver. Tommy said to the DZO, "I want him to be my instructor." When the skydiver with the malfunction landed and walked toward them, the DZO introduced Tommy to Bob Hallett. And we know where that went. (I've always loved that story.)

blah blah blah What pchapman did was offer knowledgeable advice blah blah blah

Come on, Michael. What does Peter know, anyway? :S

20 years ago, maybe he could have had some useful information, but what could he possibly know now? :o:)

SHAZAM! :D
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73