howardwhite

What is this rig?

They look similar to the strato-star one-pin containers I used on my first jump, but probably bigger.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I seem to remember Eddie Grim copying something like that back in the mid 70s. (I know it wasnn't his original idea)
For static line Direct bag operations
I don't think it caught on.
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

I wouldn't be surprised. It was made by Marty Sosville, a rigger based in the upper New York state area (Seneca Falls, Malone.)
He also made the ram-air pilot chute I still have (pictures posted a while ago.)
These rigs now belong to Dick Swanson. They were being used for water jumps into Lake Champlain Monday out of Vermont Skydiving Adventures.

I was gonna jump his PC into the lake until I found out it was going to be a static line jump.:S

HW

howie Martin did use something similar to that rig.. but i really do NOT remember them having the velcroed "patch" which the photos show..
Howies were all mostly green,
with a tab on the bridle that went through a heavy elastic closing loop.
Direct bag, which would then beat the hell out of the outside of the airplane , until the JM hauled it back in...:S

why??/ mostly i guess to allow for faster pack jobs, as compared to using waxed break cord...( which took time to thread through each of the 3 or 4 Cones,,,, on the container.)
Pack jobs called for the following...
4 Line the canopy, super fast flake job, s-fold it, stuff it into the bag.. one flap. two flaps 3 flaps, 4...pin it with the tab...stow the static line, throw it on a students back... he used to 'pay' a buck per pack job....

he also tossed out two static line students per pass,,, one after the other,, from the Beaver.
sit 'em both in the door, tap one, then tap the other...:o:S[:/];)

seems to me, that he attached those containers to standard ( for the day ) harnesses..
shot and a halves ..
PS the releases shown on the top of the shoulders of the jumper pictured are WAY out of adjustment..

I imagine those jumpers also wore chest mounted reserves for the H2O jumps...
jumped many a cheapo into water,, back in the 70's...

MISSED the lake... on one of those jumps...
i climbed out of the 180..first..... waited for an older club member to "get out there" .. only he was Moving slooooow..
really slow... [:/]:o
didn't wanna go without him,, ( he was jumping a jumbo P C ).. waited and waited, watched below us, as we flew well past the lake... exited waaay long.
he made it back.. I did NOT. :o:S
landed in a gravel parking lot, just shy of the water.. NO shoes, No helmet, No gloves. No shirt..
just cut-off jeans, and this old P. O . S. rig.. ( we learned earlier NOT to jump our own "higher perfomance " rigs, into water..) ( took to long to dry,, and then we'd need a reserve repack... besides)
hahahahaha

managaged a decent enough landing,,, Textbook, barefoot, PLF...:ph34r:B|;)
try THAT today????
hell NO !!!
ah youthful exhuberance where did it go?????

jt

nice colors...
i've always liked the orange and white '28 foot cheapo'

i noticed in the first picture that "the automatic wind generating , dryer system" in the background, was Not cranked up....
must have been a breezy low humidity morning...

I was wondering about the rig.

Are the north/south east/ west velcro sections, to which the center patch connects, all that holds the container shut??:S:|..
or IS there a closing loop grommets and "pin" set-up somewhere under the patch??
Is the pin a PIN ?? or a tab of static line material ?
any pics of the harness or of the reserve???
thanks for the nosalgia:)
jmy
POPS 3539
4 stack 930

howie Martin did use something similar to that rig.. but i really do NOT remember them having the velcroed "patch" which the photos show.. Howies were all mostly green,

I only recall the green ones, in the late 70s - including the ones used on the student jumps I made there. ;)

why??/ mostly i guess to allow for faster pack jobs, as compared to using waxed break cord...( which took time to thread through each of the 3 or 4 Cones,,,, on the container.)
Pack jobs called for the following...
4 Line the canopy, super fast flake job, s-fold it, stuff it into the bag.. one flap. two flaps 3 flaps, 4...pin it with the tab...stow the static line, throw it on a students back... he used to 'pay' a buck per pack job....

His freefall rigs were the same - not the 4-pins ripcords and flaps with cones and bungees, but 4 soft, light flaps, with a closing loop; and the ripcord didn't have a pin on the end, it was just coated ripcord cable which was cut-off at (usually) the right length, thread the loop thru the other 3 flaps' grommets with a pull-up cord, then thread the end of the cable through the loop. It was a hell of a lot easier to pack than the 4-pin container, hard pulls were virtually unheard of, and it was probably less prone to total malfunctions, too.

Direct bag, which would then beat the hell out of the outside of the airplane , until the JM hauled it back in...:S

If you think that's annoying, trying putting an SL student out of a borrowed Cherokee 6 (because the 182 in in the shop), then suddenly find yourself bouncing off the ceiling because the SL was too long, so the bag slammed into the stabilator, leaving a fist-sized dent.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

i read the string starting with White, and I wondered, where have I seen this before? Howie Martin sounds right, as I made a bunch at Ovid and Seneca Falls and i remember somebody having a one-pin container. It wasn't used for static line-student jumps, if I recall correctly.
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

Here's the morning-after drying session for the old mains and reserves.

HW

We used to just pack them up and jump them again. Pretty slow deployment but they were dry by the time you got down. Just a hop & pop with extra airspeed, and don't look up.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!