SStewart

Name this canopy # ?

but a 5 cell right? wasn't their a cricket? and I know one company made canopys with names like hobbit, and wizard and maybe goblin? I think the hobbit might have been a 5 cell. but it's been a year or two
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Yep, only five cells.

Crickets, Hobbitts and Wizards were seven, not made by the same company either but thats another thread...

I don't remember the Goblin but that sounds like a cool name for a canopy. (unless you do CRW)

Onward and Upward!

Well, we need higher resolution photos. Can't be sure it's spanwise constructed but those big puffy cells look like it. I don't remember if the others in the Cirrus Cloud series were made as mains or not. There were three reserves Orion, Cirrus and I can't remember the third without references.

So maybe swift main but I think one of the other spanwise 5 cells in the Cirrus series.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Except for that little problem in '86 when they were recalled to replace the leading edge, they were very reliable reserves. I have at least 4 reserve rides on it that I can remember.;) 177 square feet if I recall.

Yep, the lines were flat and the brake set up was weird. There were extra brake lines inboard of the normal lines. When you released the brakes, the inside lines just went free and trailed behind you.

Someone else jump in if I'm wrong. I think the extra inboard brake lines were to keep the tail down equally across the trailing edge except (maybe) in the very center. It allowed the center cell to achieve a higher pressurization first and a more stable on heading opening. Did I get that right?

I jumped mine up until 2001 in my original mirage container that I bought new in '84. Got rid of the reserve, but the container is in the closet and serviceable!

My first square was a Strato Star 190 sq. ft. 5 cell. I later had a Safety Star reserve at one point in one of my old wonderhogs.

The swift reserve I was jumping is very similar to the main but not identical. The main had the round lines and the reserve had the flat linguini. They both had the weird brake line stow with the trailing line after you release the brakes.

The main had untold number of jumps (the data stamp was faded) I guessed the main to be circa early 80's. The reserve is an 85 and has 35 repacks and no deployments. It still looks and feels brand new.

The "Swift system" was a great concept at the time; Swift container, Swift Main, and Swift reserve all in one.

Back in the day that was a hot set-up.
Onward and Upward!

back in the day. even though I was " young and dumb" I knew the "swift system" wasn't shall we say big guy friendly. ymmv never jumped one but saw them around.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

The swift reserve I was jumping is very similar to the main but not identical. The main had the round lines and the reserve had the flat linguini. They both had the weird brake line stow with the trailing line after you release the brakes.

Swift Main: 195sf.
Swift Reserve: 177sf.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Swift Main: 195sf.
Swift Reserve: 177sf.

The old original Swifts did that. The newer Swift Plus models that replaced them didn't. I always thought that the released brake lines were designed to make you land with all the grace and poise of a falling gas stove to take your mind off the fact that you'd just had a malfunction.

What's scary, is if you look hard enough, you can still find a few of those out there as reserves...[:/]

Actually, the Swift reserve and Swift main are two entirely different canopies. The reserve is a great canopy and landed fairly well for that generation.

The main? Not so much...as far as great landings...in spite of the fact that it is a larger canopy.

The reserve was converted to a main canopy by some as it packed small and landed fairly well.

Anyway, the Swift reserve was a great canopy IMO and I've lots of jumps on them as both a main and reserve. The Swift main was a POS...and I've never seen one used as a reserve.

pms

Except for that little problem in '86 when they were recalled to replace the leading edge, they were very reliable reserves. I have at least 4 reserve rides on it that I can remember.;) 177 square feet if I recall...

As far as that little Swift reserve problem, I got to experience it first hand packed in a prototype Talon while the tso was still being worked in 86, when my main mal'd. Hardest landing I ever walked away from. Not being too bright...after discussing with Elek and the guys at PF...and Sandy at R.I. who owned the rig and canopies...me and John Morrison both jumped that particular Swift reserve again, set-up as a main in an effort to try and help figure out the problem. Luckily, no permanent injuries.

Anyway, mine was the first "live" reserve ride on Talon and we ID'd a problem with a large number of Swift reserves, resulting in a significant recall by PF. So, we bought beer...

Didn't the original Swift reserve fail to meet the new TSO-C23c requirements when they came out in the eighties ? I seem to remember all of the round and some existing square reserves failed the newer c revision standard.

Also recall that the Swift system was the official rig of the US Team (Mirror Image and US Army) at the 1981 World Meet at Z-Hills.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !