howardwhite

What is this canopy? #9

Ok the only photo I have that I'm using to base my guess on is not very good and quite dark, it don;t show the slots as your images dose, anyway here we go.......

Rogallo Parawing, late 60's, Loy Brydon???
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I know, I know, but I also have a Skydiver Magazine with that photo. Maybe the game should continue for a little while longer.

Damn...there goes the next three or four "What is.." questions.:S

HW
(but I really don't know much about this one, except that it was the subject of an AIAA Aerodynamic Decelerators conference paper back in the day.)

This is a Delta II.
Taken at Connecticut Parachutists Inc. by the late Jim Bates.

HW

Howard, are you sure about this being a Delta II? I don't remember my 1970 Delta II having that many slots in the top. Steering was done with a "control panel" toward the rear sort of like flaps underneath. Also, there is no OSI (Opening Shock Inhibitor) at the left rear corner. Could this be a Delta I? I never knew why mine was called a Delta II.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Howard, are you sure about this being a Delta II? I don't remember my 1970 Delta II having that many slots in the top. Steering was done with a "control panel" toward the rear sort of like flaps underneath. Also, there is no OSI (Opening Shock Inhibitor) at the left rear corner. Could this be a Delta I? I never knew why mine was called a Delta II.

The second photo that Howard put up is most definitely a Delta II. You can see the OSI on the left side and the cotton reinforcement on the other tip. The stall panels (for steering) are a little harder to see in the photo because they are white. They are located more in the center of the canopy.

The slots are normal as well. There is pretty much a slot between every panel on the parachute. It seems that most wings are built that way, both my Delta II's, my paradactyl and PZ-81 are all done like that.

Here is a question, there is a couple of standard mods on Delta II's that people did, like cutting down the OSI and steering by pulling down on the outside wing tips. One of my Delta II's have a toggle attached to the rear keel (red line). Don't know what it is for and I didn't think that night jump I did with it last weekend was the best time to start screwing around with it. Anyone know of this mod?

[replyAlso, there is no OSI (Opening Shock Inhibitor) at the left rear corner.

As Beatnik rightly notes, there is an OSI visible, though perhaps twisted at an angle so not as prominent as you might expect.
I'm 99.9% sure it's a stock Delta II, and I think the jumper is Randy Thompson, who jumped it in accuracy competition.
Anyway, this is not getting us closer to identifying the original canopy.:P

HW

Okay, I will end this one. It is a Manta Ray and was on the market around 1970.

Who produced it?
I thought I had seen (or seen photos of) every canopy sold, but I never heard of this one.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It was developed by Irvin in Santa Ana, CA, and was the subject of a paper by Michael Ravnitsky of Irvin at the 1989 Aerodynamic Decelerator Systems Technnology conference.
The paper begins:
"Manta-Ray's center section was constructed from a single layer of cloth, providing a continuation of the upper surface of the airfoil from the forward section. Suspension lines were not attached to the center section; sufficient shaping was provided by the side flaps.
"The aft section of the canopy consisted of a series of panels with fullness built into the trailing edge of each panel. Thrust was provided by airflow through upper surface sail panels which were aligned by a series of flares attached to the lower side. Attachment of the suspension line to the center of the flares minimized the lateral surface area of the flare for improved turn control. Early Manta-Rays resembled Ringsail parachutes with their louvered sail panels. Later versions deleted many of the sails except at the trailing edge wingtips.
"The Manta-Ray design thus gradually evolved toward that of the modern ram-air parachute."

HW

For those who have never seen how a Delta II is packed....

HW

It was surprisingly simple and quick to pack. I shortened the lines on mine a LOT along with shortening the OSI. It was still really bulky. There were always burns to look at but we never messed with trying to fix any. Why bother? It was built like a tank. I jumped it sporadically at my home DZ from about 77-79 long after they were new tech.

When the Dactyl came out I had no trouble buying into the idea and had a rig with one in each container. It weighed about 16 pounds and was very soft in my Wonderhog.

I know, I know, but I also have a Skydiver Magazine with that photo. Maybe the game should continue for a little while longer.

Here is Beatniks "game": no matter how poor the original performance, if he can find a historic canopy he will jump it, including old reserves.

If they made an exact copy of the Titanic and planned a maiden voyage next winter through the North Atlantic ice fields without radar, Beatnik would buy the first ticket.

I like to read about skydiving history. Beatnik likes to relive it. Wonder if he wears French Paraboots?
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

How far will you take it Beatnik? Would you jump an unsleeved silk round from WW 2 if it was structurally sound? I'd forgive you if you cut a couple of steering slots in it and deployed subterminal.

Keep up the good work. I love to see historic aircraft fly and your canopies are indeed historic unpowered aircraft.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Hi, Jon. How ya doin'?

You know the difference between a Delta II and a Paradactyl?

The Delta II covers the whole car.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

How far will you take it Beatnik? Would you jump an unsleeved silk round from WW 2 if it was structurally sound?

Don't know how far I will take it. Once I figure that out, I will let you know. I have one parachute that is pretty close to WWII that I have jumped, it has a DOM of 1953.

Hi, Jon. How ya doin'?

You know the difference between a Delta II and a Paradactyl?

The Delta II covers the whole car.

Excellent Niki!

My Bogy sure didn't cover a car but it worked at the beach as a kite. I gave it to some Mexican kids who delighted in being drug on their bellies in the sand.

jon