howardwhite

Eating cheese before jumping

Just when I though I knew everything about skydiving, I find this entry in the Definitive Authority, Wikipedia:

"For typical people, less than 1g of force along the body's long axis is what causes the 'stomach in your throat' feeling on a roller-coaster or other amusement park rides. This is why skydivers in the armed forces are encouraged to eat a block of cheese about an hour before jumping to keep the acids from coming up in their mouths.[citation needed]"

I've never done that. (I also don't remember having "the stomach in your throat" feeling.)

Am I missing something important? How big a block of cheese should I be eating?

HW

Just when I though I knew everything about skydiving,

Ha! The hubris! You think 42 years is enough to know everything?? :P;)

There must be plenty military jumpers on these forums... perhaps one of them will tell us if they were, in fact, encouraged to eat cheese. Military jumpers in action of course would often be in the plane for at least an hour and sometimes a few before they jump; so do they take their blocks of cheese on board with them?

And maybe someone who knows will tell us if cheese will, in fact, do what they say it will.

edited to add: I just remembered I am married to an ex military jumper :$:D - when i asked my husband if he was ever encouraged to eat cheese before they jumped, he looked at me as if I was mad and burst out laughing. (That's a no.) He didn't jump in the US of course but I'm guessing practises would be pretty similar most places...
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Of course, eating cheese has always been a popular activity in the military. It's synonymous with brown nosing and kissing ass. The difference between kissing ass and brown nosing is simply a matter of depth perception.:)

Because of the "force along the body's long axis"... wouldn't this phenomenon have a greater chance of causing the "...stomach in your throat' feeling on a roller-coaster...'"? on divers and freeflyers than on floaters?

You can get that feeling as a floater as well when the plane starts bucking ;)