normiss

Kittinger recognized!

Kittinger's free-fall lasted more than four minutes and he traveled 700 miles per hour — the speed of sound.

Just going up in the balloon with oxygen tanks and special suit would have been nerve racking, let alone the ff.

I realize the air is really thin up there, but does anyone know if he tried to speed dive? Or was he going that fast in a belly position (holy smokes!)?

I realize the air is really thin up there, but does anyone know if he tried to speed dive? Or was he going that fast in a belly position (holy smokes!)?

Not only was it belly to earth, he had a drogue (like a tandem drogue). He absolutely did not TRY to go fast as in a "speed skydiving" situation. He didn't have to go head down or go "no lift".

The speed is purely a matter of gravity not being resisted by having to push as many air molecules out of the way. Further, he had very, VERY little control over his attitude early on, for the exact same reason, simply not much to push against in terms of air.

And honestly, the space suit he was testing wouldn't have allowed him much control either. It just wasn't cut or shaped right to allow that and in fact was quite rigid in the "wrong" position.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

so did he gradually decelerate once the air became a little more normal? That's a lot of "braking" to do from 700 mph.

Wow, what a ride. Why take this long to give Kittinger some recognition? He's the dare devil of all-time with that one jump.

84,000 feet or so to go from 0 to 700 to 120ish isn't that big of a deal. That's roughly 16 miles and hardly even noticeable as far as g-force in concerned. The 0 to 700 part, in fact would have felt like nothing and happened fairly high. The 700 to 120ish part would be extremely gradual.

As for him getting recognition, well, this isn't exactly the first time he's been honored and it's not like the project was a secret. It's been to topic of a number of programs and it's well, VERY WELL, documented. He's actually pretty famous as far as test pilots go.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

not totake anything from the great jump Kittinger made, but there is no way he broke the sound barrier with a 6 ft drogue chute behind him.

He certainly reached a great sppeed, but NOT 700 MPH on that jump.

Years ago I read a book about his jump. It stated that he approached, but did not exceed, the speed of sound. Then about ten years ago I see Joe on some Discovery Channel show saying that he did.

I saw him a few months ago at an aviation conference here in Michigan and asked him nicely about it. I basically told him that everything I read that was written right after the jump said he did not go supersonic yet I have heard him for the last ten plus years saying he did.

He gave me a very evasive answer about aeronautical engineers and mis-calculations but that he "thought he did". My guess is that he pushed the truth one time on camera and has had to live with it ever since to save face.

Don't get me wrong. I think what he did was amazing and I really respect him for it. And he has done some other great things in aviation. He deserves all the credit and awards he gets. Maybe I'm too much into being truthful about my and other peoples claims of achievement.

I agree totally with you. He might have made 400 to 500 MPH, and there is emphasis on the " might".

Nevertheless, he did a great jump, and he deserves credit for being there at a time many were thinking of one day making a parachute jump on static line.

To break the sound barrier, he would have had to make at least 680 MPH, and with a drogue chute that would be impossible.

I have done test jumping on speeds at low altutides, and this topic has great meaning to me personally, and I too, like honesty and accuracy.

Bill Cole