howardwhite

What is this plane? #31

Yes, airplane-guru, it is a DC-3/C-47.
But which one?
Any other details to offer? Like who, when, where?

HW

It's Z Hills 88-89, and it's the Southern Cross DC-3 if I'm not mistaken. If it's not, it's Lucaya Air.

Indeed that is Lukas Knutsson (RIP) and Craig Buxton. I can even tell you that Lukas is jumping a Glidepath Hummingbird there too. In the second photo, that's Wally Futryk with the handlebar mustache and dashing white neckerchief. He's still jumping at the Hills too. If I look long enough, I'm sure some of other names will come back to me. In the second photo, I think that guy on the right's name in Grant. He used to love cutaways if it is him. He regarded them as an extra treat for your jump. A strange fellow indeed.

89 was my favorite year at the Hills before Skydive City opened. The flight line was Southern Cross, Lucaya Air, Mr.D and Our Douglas, along with the newly aquired CASA. I was in Mr.D when it lost a jug on rotation. Mark took it off, flew it around and landed it on the good motor, and we ran out of it and straight into Lucaya Air which had seen it happen and was warming up all ready. You don't see that these days do you ?

B|

[It's Z Hills 88-89, and it's the Southern Cross DC-3 if I'm not mistaken. If it's not, it's Lucaya Air.

Jeez did the inside of Lucaya look that dingy? I seem to remember it as all rainbows and unicorns. Perhaps I might have been influenced by...the fog of time...yeah, that's it.

In the second photo, that's Wally Futryk with the handlebar mustache and dashing white neckerchief. ....I think that guy on the right's name in Grant.

Err.. everyone in the second picture (plane10) is from the (now-defunct) Turners Falls, MA DZ.

HW

It's still Wally though. That little bugger got around. He worked for Sunshine Factory back then, and went to all the boogies.

Wasn't Lucaya Air owned by a guy named Floyd something or other from KY? If it is the one I'm thinking about it had the big Wright engines on it instead of the P&Ws. And climbed like a home sick angel.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

Please do. I will be surprised if he thinks it's him.
BTW, just in front of the guy "..with the handlebar mustache and dashing white neckerchief," that's Shireen Khavari (black Protec helmet.). She was belly-flying then, but has gone to the dark side (CRW) these days.

Hw

Please do. I will be surprised if he thinks it's him.
BTW, just in front of the guy "..with the handlebar mustache and dashing white neckerchief," that's Shireen Khavari (black Protec helmet.). She was belly-flying then, but has gone to the dark side (CRW) these days.

Hw

I talked to Wally yesterday. He said that is definitely him.

He also pointed out the woman on the bottom right with the goggles on her forehead. Jim V. and Ellen used to jump quite a bit at Zhills. He is pretty sure that the woman is Ellen.

(He said her last name, but I promptly forgot it.)

Howdy Howard et. al.,

The second picture (plane 10) is Southern Cross. I know all the names except one, as I organized that load ! :$ Nice picture of you Howard :)
Wally is the one with the handlebar moustache as he was jumping with us that day. Others in the picture are; Mike Couch (RIP), Peter Wolfe ( dating Shireen then ? ;) ), Buffy, Joyce, Todd, Rich Walstrom, Ben Rytterband, Dr. Jarvis, Bobby Goldman, Pat Bisson, Chick, Mark Belleville, Tooth, Skip King, Kari ? ( in the white protec next to buffy), and ?

Thanx! for the flashback!

Blueskys!!!

P. Smurf

Correct (though I didn't know Wally and am surprised/happy to learn that I was on a jump with him.) Photo by Pink Floyd. Attached is a pic of the freefall part; at least I think it was the same jump.
I bought that maroon jumpsuit from Henri Pohjolainen, who had apparently used it in a competition or record attempt or something.
If you look carefully at the other picture, you'll see at least a couple of other people you know (one of whom posts here frequently.)
Also attached is a scan from my collection of worn out/too small T-shirts, probably bought on that trip in 1988

HW

He also pointed out the woman on the bottom right with the goggles on her forehead. Jim V. and Ellen used to jump quite a bit at Zhills. He is pretty sure that the woman is Ellen.

(He said her last name, but I promptly forgot it.)

Ellen Jammett then. Now Ellen V ;)

In the lower right corner of the first picture it says copyright 1988 Dave Floyd. [AKA Pink]
So my guess is 1988 Phoenix Z-hills.

The A/C is probably Southern Cross because that looks like pilot Herman Rhineholtz skinny right arm up front.

I don't remember Lucaya being at Phoenix but if it was,the pilot owner;Fred [can't remember his last name] would have been flying it and he was a big guy.

That's Peggy O'Riley against forward bulkhead A/C right.

And could that possibly be Dave Rickerby in the square sunglasses?

In the lower right corner of the first picture it says copyright 1988 Dave Floyd. [AKA Pink]
So my guess is 1988 Phoenix Z-hills.The A/C is probably Southern Cross because that looks like pilot Herman Rhineholtz skinny right arm up front.

Good guess:P
So here's another, different one, with some familiar faces. Which plane, who's in it?

HW

This one's tough.

Not many familiar faces.

Maybe Craig Buxton in center row about midway back with dark beard.

Gear says mid to late late 80's [Flite suits no tony suits. and no mini 3 rings]

A/C has metal covered interior and clear windows. So its not Southern Cross which had a gutted interior nor Mr Douglas which had blue windows.

My guess is Lacuya Air. Quincy Pre-Don Kirlin.

So here's another, different one, with some familiar faces. Which plane, who's in it?

HW

I see a few I know. In the white jumpsuit on the right is "Mad Jack" Reeves. Saw him a few months ago. Close to Jack there, is Richard "Cass" Castillo (in the red suit, blue rig), he still lives in San Antonio and is a regular CRW guy still. Also maybe recognize Mark Buell, Mike Wright, and way up in the front of the plane Weldon Hercheck.

Can't remember which -3 this was. Some Swedish guy flew it? We had one come down to San Antonio (88 or 89) and fly some for us...

Buck Buchanan

edit to add: I was a jump pilot back in the 80's and 90's...

HW

Can't remember which -3 this was. Some Swedish guy flew it? We had one come down to San Antonio (88 or 89) and fly some for us...

In 88-89 the East coast DC-3s were;
Southern Cross
Lucaya Air
Mr Douglas &
Our Douglas

Is it Our Douglas maybe?