47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Braden should have been singled out sooner.

My point in saying who signs the FBI paychecks...

The CIA surely wouldn't want the FBI to embarrass them...

did I post that...???...or...am I just thinking out loud...???...

eta: I'm surprised that Braden didn't die of a heart attack or by some other accident(to clarify...I meant earlier in life)...

once in...never out...

hangdiver

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

eta: I'm surprised that Braden didn't die of a heart attack or by some other accident(to clarify...I meant earlier in life)...
once in...never out...

hangdiver

What doesn't make sense to me about these types of theories is that the FBI spent so much energy trying to track down Cooper. If they knew who he was and had to hide it (if you like a conspiracy theory) why bother? Even if you had to look like you were doing something...it seems they would have gone over the top trying to cover up that they were covering up. Nah, doesn't wash with me.

Farflung...is there a reason you left out Paul and Ringo? After all, Paul had.... Wings....
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

once in...never out...

hangdiver

What doesn't make sense to me about these types of theories is that the FBI spent so much energy trying to track down Cooper. If they knew who he was and had to hide it (if you like a conspiracy theory) why bother? Even if you had to look like you were doing something...it seems they would have gone over the top trying to cover up that they were covering up. Nah, doesn't wash with me.

Farflung...is there a reason you left out Paul and Ringo? After all, Paul had.... Wings....

I was really just thinking and posting...

I'm not a huge conspiracy fan myself...but I have some friends that have some experience with the alphabet agencies...

eta: if there was a conspiracy...the FBI was not in on it...my thoughts are...the CIA is not going to call Hoover and tell him we have your guy...we trained him...arrested him and let him go...now he is running around...jacking airliners and trucks...

why wasn't Braden court martialed...???...

was that a conspiracy...???...

Paul and Ringo are still alive...

hangdiver

Harry Callahan

From Snow:

not all of the newcomers might have seen the slow mo static line video

here's the link. It has just the jumpers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYW08S3dAUs

maybe hominid would be interested.

Since we're talking about the air drop test, this "other" air drop test is useful to repost...

Some might not understand what you've said about squiding and on-stair deployment.

I guess the sled drop deployed with a static line too?

it's surprising to me that the chute is deployed almost inside the stair well in this video?

I wonder if the sled was just dropped into the ocean with no chute? Looks like it is rigged with something but cant be sure.

Any jumpers with military S/L expereince care to comment on the canopy extraction seen in the 727 video? Normal? Special?

The photo chase plane shooting the 727 drops is a Beech 18. I'd say that we can be pretty sure it wasn't going faster than 195 knots and its speed is probably more like 150. I don't think it was a Volpar or Hamilton Westwind turboprop conversion.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Questions come to mind:

BRUCE- One curious question then resurfaces. Ask Hayden his opinion of the canopy CKRET and the FBI found. in his opinion was it the "other" rig?

I assume you are referring to the large canopy found in Amboy, WA a couple years ago.

Now, two parachutes were not found on 305 when it landed at Reno. One was the front, reserve chute that was supposedly sown shut because it was a practice chute. That is clearly not the canopy found in Amboy.

That leaves the NB 8, or NB 6, or Hayden's rig - the one that Cooper supposedly used. The FBI has ruled out the Amboy chute as this second chute, and for this determination they cite "experts" as their source, which include Mr. Cossey. Coss has stated numerous times, and once to me, that the Amboy chute was a 34-foot cargo chute and not Cooper's. However, he has also told several reporters and researchers that the Amboy chute was DB Cooper's getaway chute, "absolutely!" Then minutes later he recants and says he was joking. That is a well documented prank by Mr Cossey, and I have spoken directly with an investigator who experienced this canard; the "Oregonian" was the primary recipient of this joke and may have published the error before they were informed it was a April Fool's stunt. Cossey has freely admitted to me that he made these jokes.

Nevertheless, I'll ask Mr. Hayden what his opinion is concerning the Amboy chute.

Bruce. So there can be no mistake about what Cossey says. Why don't you and I visit Cossey Together. Also Why can't you and I visit Hayden Together.This way there will be no mistake about what is said. Jerry

I'm always happy to talk with principals in the DB Cooper case, Jerry. If you want to set up some interviews, just let me know where and when.

Hangdiver: Good Questions and good points. The main question is who owned the chutes at the time they were handed over to the FBI.There is one story written by Max Gunther that states The Chutes Hayden claims was owned by a Female.Cossey chutes were assembled by him 6mos prior to the hyjacking.Jerry

Cossey's penchant for pranks may make it impossible to get reliable info from him.

How can you tell when he is telling the truth?

He is the Merry Prankster of Parachuting.

Someone who knows chutes can sort out some of the technical misinformation, but as to things like chute ownership, types of canopies that were in packed containers, you have to take him at his word and that's a crap shoot.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Difference between not court martialling someone in SOG and directing the entire FBI to not find a crook, surely?

This may give you some insight...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/knew/could/ciafbi.html

hangdiver

If anything that link only confirms that there was no love lost between the agencies and makes it even less likely that the FBI would have kowtowed to the CIA?

Snow straightens me out all the time, and without scolding me. I thought Braden had done SOG night jumps in Nam and Snowmman reminded me that there is scant evidence of that although Braden did lots of risky stuff on missions.

He has now reminded me that the FBI sled did have a chute which can be seen in some of the test photos.

The man has a steel trap memory. Mine is more like mesh (not acid mesh, an inside joke to old riggers).

He tirelessly researches things and shares the results openly. No book or movie agenda. Doesnt seek publicity.

So he insulted Q and dusted it up with a few others. Thats's bad behavior but it doesnt deserve a lifetime ban. There shoudnt be any lifetime bans in my opinion. You can always give serial timeouts. How about letting him have another chance Quade?
Are you worried that mercy will undermine your authority? Nobody here would think less of you if you gave Snow a trial re-entry. Seriously.

Difference between not court martialling someone in SOG and directing the entire FBI to not find a crook, surely?

This may give you some insight...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/knew/could/ciafbi.html

hangdiver

If anything that link only confirms that there was no love lost between the agencies and makes it even less likely that the FBI would have kowtowed to the CIA?

Legal walls built to protect intelligence sources and defendants, over time, also added to the general lack of cooperation between agencies.

Hey Orange, all I'm saying is Braden was never on the FBI's list of suspects and the CIA was surely not going to give them his name. IMHO

hangdiver

Harry Callahan

How about letting him have another chance Quade?
Are you worried that mercy will undermine your authority? Nobody here would think less of you if you gave Snow a trial re-entry. Seriously.

Hear Here...!
(whole different thing than Hymm Him, (inside joke to old skydivers);)

Heck I know a woman that married the SAME guy three times, nuthin' should be for ever! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

377: I think Quade has his reasons for not letting Snow back to this thread.However if any info is needed from Snow all that needs to be done is contact you. Snow is constantly monitoring this thread and can contact anyone through a PM.If Snow has anything he wishes to contribute he can also PM Quade.Just saying. Jerry

377: The test with the sled was only to evaluate the cabin presure fluctuation.The test did show similar cabin pressure fluctuation. It was rigged for recovery purposes.Jerry

Wonder why they had military freefall parachutists aboard fully outfitted for jumping? Was it to evaluate the conditions on the stairs? Snow's FBI flight test pic does show a jumper on the stairs.

377: I think Quade has his reasons for not letting Snow back to this thread.However if any info is needed from Snow all that needs to be done is contact you. Snow is constantly monitoring this thread and can contact anyone through a PM.If Snow has anything he wishes to contribute he can also PM Quade.Just saying. Jerry

I know Quade has his reasons, he was insulted and Snow was fighting with others and ignored Q's warnings. I never claimed Snow was a saint. He isn't.

I am just asking Quade to give Snow a chance to be back on the forum. He has served a pretty long sentence already.

He'd contribute more if he were on the forum rather than having to do everything by proxy. I don't think anybody here opposes his reentry to the forum. If so speak up.

377: My post was a small hint for Snow. Snow can always PM Quade. This is where the problem must be addressed. Just maybe they can work somthing out together. Im sure Quade is resonable and if he feels Snow is sincere in his request he may honor it.Its Quades call and we all must trust and respect it.Im sure Quade has read everyones request for Snows return. Im sure he has taken that into consideration.Jerry

Hey Orange, all I'm saying is Braden was never on the FBI's list of suspects and the CIA was surely not going to give them his name. IMHO

hangdiver

- got it! Yup, agree. Does lend an interesting twist....that CIA thought/suspected/knew but rivalry and possible egg on their own faces meant they kept quiet...

I know Quade has his reasons, he was insulted and Snow was fighting with others and ignored Q's warnings. I never claimed Snow was a saint. He isn't.

I am just asking Quade to give Snow a chance to be back on the forum. He has served a pretty long sentence already.

He'd contribute more if he were on the forum rather than having to do everything by proxy. I don't think anybody here opposes his reentry to the forum. If so speak up.

I too would like to see a return of Snowmman if Paul would relent, but since I probably have the record for number of bannings on DIZZIE DOT COM, I doubt if my request would receive anything but laughter from the assemblage of MODS around these here parts pardner.

Amazon : Maybe Paul will reconsider his ban.I have no idea.I think maybe if Snow could promise Quade that he would not abuse the rules ever again, Quade may reconsider.Snow has been exilled from this thread for a long period of time. Maybe he has learned his lesson. This is Quades call.Still Snow has to work this out with Quade.If Quade thinks Snow can controll his comments he may consider Snows reinstatement. Only one way to find out. That is for Quade to give Snow a chance to prove him self. Do you think Snow will honor and respect Quade in the future? This is the question that only time and Snow can answer. Jerry

Quade: I realize that my opinion does not matter on DropZone. However if I may make a sugestion in the matter of a reinstatement of Snow.Regarding the request of many that would like his reinstatement.It would be that Snow if reinstated should honor your request and to addhere to your rules. If he Breaks your request, Then he should be Banned from DropZone and not just any thread For Good.As it stands Snow can monitor any thread on DropZone. He can PM any one he wants. Further more he can post through others like 377. Just suggesting a solution that may satisfy most . Jerry

Do you think Snow will honor and respect Quade in the future?

Nope, not a chance in hell, but he might refrain from insulting Quade. Honor and respect is too high a price for readmission. I don't honor and respect Quade, but I behave decently.

One position that Quade took that I certainly do respect, is his standing up to the horde of skydivers that want the DB Cooper forum gone. He gains no points from most skydivers for letting us continue, believe me.

I don't think Quade requires bows and scrapes, just good behavior on the forum. That should be enough.