howardwhite

What is this plane? #16

You're right; it's a Meyers OTW-145, NC34322, built in 1942.The jumper is Jerry Thompson, a long-time Long Island,NY, jumper who owned the Bounty Inn and advertised it as a good place for skydivers to eat and drink.
Presumably the jump is over Long Island Sound.
The picture was taken by Jerry Irwin and was the centerfold in the November, 1977, Parachutist.
According to various web sources,the Meyers OTW (Out to Win) was built as a military trainer, but relatively few were sold to the military because the metal fusilage was considered too difficult to maintain.
The designer, Al Meyers, lived across the road from the Tecumseh, MI, airport until his death in 1976.

HW

November 1977..... I was a junior in college with about 300 jumps (GCSPC-Xenia) and practicing for style. accuracy and 4 way sequential at the upcomming collegiate nationals in Deland. I was jumping a para-plane cloud with a 26 Navy reserve in a pigrig that was built by Steve Adams at the loft in Xenia (I don't remember the name of the rig but it was made for comfort!). I won 3rd place in int. accuracy that year with a 30 cm total after 10 jumps..... the Air Force Academy folks were the team to beat. My 4 way team members were Scot Haslam and Jayne Marchant (they were married some years later but killed in a plane crash on the way to a boogie) and Dr. Don Bucklin. The attached photo is me at the nationals in Deland.

I am an airplane trivia nut so I enjoy your posts, Howard.

It is kind of hard to tell from the photos but if Steve Adams built it then it is a Green Star rig as the rest of the description fits. Judging by the top flap of the main container it looks like a Trac-II.

I have one (black with gold trim) in pretty much new condition (none of the integral harness stitching removed). If I ever find anything to put in it, as this one has a small main pack tray, it might go into the circulation. And yes, I am very aware of the problems these rigs had when the stitching was removed to take off or remove the shoulder pads.

Hi Beatnik,

I do not believe that the removal of the padding stitching is what caused the multiple failures.

I believe that this is the 'story' that was presented to the FAA to end the investigation.

I believe that it is nothing more than a very poor design.

It is my understanding that the piggyback versions did not go through TSO testing; but the did have TSO marking.

The story that I got was that the original rig was TSO tested as a harness & chest pack. Then they did a 'minor change' for the change to a piggyback rig.

I would not jump one of those rigs; if they are in the configuration that I have seen oh, so many years ago.

I also believe that the fatality that occured at the Sheridan, Oregon dz (where I was jumping at the time) was the last fatality on those rigs.

Just my thoughts . . . .

JerryBaumchen

That "story" is still a pretty big story in an urban legend kind of way, but some "legend's" are well know for blowing smoke up peoples asses to make problems with the FAA go away.

Kind of like if you walk around looking up and saying the sky is yellow, sooner of later others will see a yellow sky too.

Oh yea and I also know owners of GS trac 2's who jump them because the stiches have not removed.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Did you ever get to see the Meyers -165, or better still the 200. what a kick ass airplane. It was often mistaken for a Navion in flight, but up close there was no doubt. They were at the south end of Meyers Airport [now Meyers -Diver], while Skydive Tecumseh was mid field on the north side of 9/27. At one time they also made canoes. They have cockpits for big bird noise abatement kits there now, I dont know how active that is any more.I saw Mrs Meyers do a fly-by {not a scare you skydiver driver buzz job] at an anniversary fly-in. But not bad for someone 80+