davidlayne

Who, what, when, where?

Found this picture and thought I would share it with you. Can anyone tell me who, what, when and where?
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

Wow, That was taken back when INS was still looking for him.:D

Thanks a lot George!

George was the jumpmaster who put me out on my first static line back in 1966.

At that time George was 13 and the B4 harness and container he used was nearly as big as he was!

This sunset picture of a PC was taken in 1968/9 at Bad Kreuznach, German. The parachutist is a member of the 7th Army Parachute Team.

This sunset picture of a PC was taken in 1968/9 at Bad Kreuznach, German. The parachutist is a member of the 7th Army Parachute Team.

Between mid-1966 and late 1968, when the lure of freebies out of Beavers, Otters, H-34s, and Hueys over-rode the travails of the longer trip down to Bad Kreuznach (rather than the mere 12-hour slog to the Berlin club's DZ in the Harz Mountains), I would, when time off coincided with a weekend (once every six weeks) wend my way to the 7th Army Team. The signatures I have in my logbook include:
John Womack C-3092
Gene 'Indian' DelPaggetto D-580
Cal Callahan D-1217
Bob Donahue D243
Gus Gutshall D-217
Bud O'Conner D-646
Cliff Harris D-1149
Mike Mohundro C-2519
Billy Lockward D-322 (who sold me his PC, on which I made almost 1,000 jumps before retiring it)
Could the photo, likely to have been taken at Hoppstadten, Illesheim or Schweinfurt US Army airfield, be any of those?
Hoop

Well, as David has not responded, and before the source material goes back into the pile....
The picture is from DZ-USA Aprl '67 about a weekend at Xenia, OH. The canopy is a white PC, dubbed the "McElfish Special" by its owner, Gene Hunnell, who published the magazine.
Hunnell writes:
"I let Paul Fayard jump my 'McElfish Special'....It was his first jump on a PC and he looked good in the handling of the canopy."
Here's another pic from the same issue, showing Jim West jumping another canopy. The picture will make Beatnik's heart beat a little faster.
The magazine now goes back into the pile...

HW

Between mid-1966 and late 1968, when the lure of freebies out of Beavers, Otters, H-34s, and Hueys over-rode the travails of the longer trip down to Bad Kreuznach (rather than the mere 12-hour slog to the Berlin club's DZ in the Harz Mountains), I would, when time off coincided with a weekend (once every six weeks) wend my way to the 7th Army Team. The signatures I have in my logbook include:
John Womack C-3092
Gene 'Indian' DelPaggetto D-580
Cal Callahan D-1217
Bob Donahue D243
Gus Gutshall D-217
Bud O'Conner D-646
Cliff Harris D-1149
Mike Mohundro C-2519
Billy Lockward D-322 (who sold me his PC, on which I made almost 1,000 jumps before retiring it)
Could the photo, likely to have been taken at Hoppstadten, Illesheim or Schweinfurt US Army airfield, be any of those?
Hoop

That was a little before my time. I was on the team from 1970 till it closed down in 1974. The only person there that I recognise is Cal Callahan.

When I joined the team Gordan McPherson was the CO. the first shirt was Don Strickland. When they rotated they were replaced by Captain Harper as CO and H.B. Stanley as first shirt.

Well, as David has not responded, and before the source material goes back into the pile....
The picture is from DZ-USA Aprl '67 about a weekend at Xenia, OH. The canopy is a white PC, dubbed the "McElfish Special" by its owner, Gene Hunnell, who published the magazine.
Hunnell writes:
"I let Paul Fayard jump my 'McElfish Special'....It was his first jump on a PC and he looked good in the handling of the canopy."
Here's another pic from the same issue, showing Jim West jumping another canopy. The picture will make Beatnik's heart beat a little faster.
The magazine now goes back into the pile...

HW

Sorry for not replying. I realised it was me and wondered where you had got the picture. I had forgotten about Gene Hunnel and the DZ USA article.
I also forget what made the "McElfish Special" special, I think it must have been some kind of PC conversion.