Jim_Hooper

Fate, RW and Z'hills

FOREWORD

Since setting off a lifetime ago to pursue my dream of being a war correspondent and writer, the thought of recounting my years at Z’hills has vexed me. For one thing, who’s gonna be interested? But nostalgia, a phenomenon as predictable as wrinkles when dotage gathers pace, can scramble neurons. Thus, when a chance email from Roger Ramjet sent me to dropzone.com and its wistful dollops of yesteryear, I reconsidered. Perhaps between assignments I could knock something out. No deadlines, no editor breathing down my neck, more a lazy, self-indulgent exercise whenever the spirit moved me sort of thing. And if it’s panned, what the hell – I’ve satisfied the itch and can concentrate on the novel that’s been languishing unfinished for entirely too long. So taking a deep breath in preparation for shoving a bunch of words together, I hope you’ll allow me to describe the fateful string of events that led me to the sleepy dropzone that was once Zephyrhills. The story begins with the attachment titled FATE.

Jim Hooper
SCR242 SCS90 NSCR26
D4019

I can't wait to read more Jim. I often wax nostalgic for that bouyant time when we so often startled the air with whoops and yawps. There was so much going on in Florida and your cosmos definately had the "critical mass" for happenings. Do tell!

jon

Very nice, Hoop.
As a student jumper in Texas in 1971, I heard all about the big guys" in Cali and Florida. Every year, the hotshots from my DZ would go to ZHills, and come back with barely-believable stories of the wonderment going on there. It wasn't until 1977 that I made it to a ZHills boogie. It was big, noisy, and fun as hell. I think you were the DZO then. It's a long, strange trip that we've been on - some longer than others - but it sure has been a blast. Thanks for writing about your view of it. I look forward to reading more.

Kevin Keenan
Es-Cee-Are 3022

Hi Hoop,

That was a great read. It brings back lots of good memories from Z-hills. Do you realize that you gave me my first job on a DZ? Yep, I was an official Z-hills garbage grunger, hauling the trash! It led to much better things.

As far as your article, I see the same story repeating itself when I go to a DZ these days. The new generation is into it's new things and poo-pooing the older generation. I used to think I was a skydiver but now I find out that I was just a belly flyer. Deja-vu all over again! The newer generation needs to understand that while they are expanding the sport into amazing new areas, they are repeating history in respect to how they view the past.

And the wheel goes round and round. I love it!

Jack Gregory

Hi Hoop,

... I used to think I was a skydiver but now I find out that I was just a belly flyer... Deja-vu all over again! The newer generation needs to understand that while they are expanding the sport into amazing new areas, they are repeating history in respect to how they view the past.

And the wheel goes round and round. I love it!

Jack Gregory

Jack G - good basic training for that GV! Here a couple shots of 'belly flyers'.
Hoop

The newer generation needs to understand that while they are expanding the sport into amazing new areas, they are repeating history in respect to how they view the past.

I am intrigued by your reply. I'm glad you shared it, because what I took from this was almost the opposite.

European skydiving in the ‘60s was exceedingly stodgy, relative work seen by the Old Guard as breathtakingly irresponsible and eccentric. Suicidal, actually. But, hooked as I was by the vulgarity of grabbing someone in freefall, there was no room in my life for the more genteel disciplines of style and accuracy.

Back in the "old days" of freeflying (i.e. late 90's) this is how the few of us were treated by many of the "old guard" of RW'ers. Viewed as dangerous, pointless and wasting our time.

I read this and thought about how some of the people that had discouraged freeflying had been around back in the late 60's and early 70's. I thought it was interesting to see that some had faced the same opposition that they now showed to others who were taking the sport in another new direction.

I think your post was good for me to read, its good to see the other side. I'm sure that I have at times in the past "poo-pooed" the older generation, but I do have lots of respect for those who helped pioneer this sport I love so much. I hope that you don't really think that we don't understand that the process we are going through isn't completely new. We have been able to cut many corners in our big-way attempts, and now 4-way VRW by using the knowledge that was learned the hard way by those who pioneered RW and have been willing to share what they have learned with us. Today with "serious freeflying" on many of the DZ's I hope that you will see more of them listening attentively to advice that they can apply to their discipline.

Of course there is the possiblity that young'uns will always be disrepectful and old farts will always be grumpy, but I hope thats not the case. ;)

Joe.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

Joe – I am impressed by your reply. The initial tone of resentment over perceived slights from the old and bold soon settled down to a broader and more balanced view. Perhaps a more fitting title for my piece would have been IRONY, which I suspect was not lost on you. As mentioned in the Author’s Note, parts were lifted from something I wrote long ago. You may find it particularly ironical that the thrust of that long-forgotten piece was a diatribe against sequential when it replaced the 10-man event in international competition.

Skydiving is a dynamic activity driven by intelligent, imaginative and ego-centric personalities prepared to push the boundaries of current knowledge. Always has been, always will be. For those whose earlier hard-won accomplishments and reputations are threatened with eclipse, there will inevitably be a degree of resentment no different from the innovators who see their cutting-edge accomplishments as insufficiently appreciated or admired. We all crave recognition. It’s human nature. Call it social Darwinism. Which raises the spectre of you, too, being categorized as 'a grumpy old fart' one day.

Although I wrote FATE, RW and Zhills for fun and to make readers laugh (or at least raise a few wry and knowing smiles), I am delighted by the unintended consequence of stirring the kettle a little. Reasoned debate is always constructive. Thus, I take it as a compliment that you found time to mull it over and respond. Having once occupied exactly the same mind set as yours, I applaud your determination to develop and expand new skills within this extraordinary phenomenon called skydiving. I hope you are not a minority of one within your discipline in appreciating those who built its foundations.
Best regards,
Jim Hooper

In keeping with the quote at the end of your post, I offer this:

If the past cannot teach the present and father cannot teach the son, then history need not have bothered to go on, and the world has wasted a great deal of time.
Russell Hoban
The Lion of Boaz-Jochim and Jochim-Boaz

Jim,

I can't tell you how much I loved your story. Aside from laughing out loud at a number of parts, I found it to be very informational on a part of this sports history. I have printed it and saved it with my skydiving collection. Thank you so much for sharing it, and I hope that I get the opportunity to be involved in this sport long enough to be labeled a "Grumpy old fart". ;)

If you have more works like this please share.

Thanks again,
Joe.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

Hey Hoop,

Thanks for sharing your story. Reading it was a lot of fun. Hopefully, the new kids on the block will appreciate all the words "written" between the
lines.

PS: I've always liked your taste in women.

bj worth

BJ, long time (very long time) no see! If you've come out of the woodwork for this, Jim is really onto something :)

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Hey B.J.
I often wondered if you ever looked in on these forums. Try to stop in at Lost Prairie if you get the chance, for the boogie. I heard that Chris was there last year. I missed seeing her. There should be several old Silvertips and Ospreys there. It would be fun to get an old timers load up. We'd even let you organize it[:/]....Steve Anders

A sad note on the good times Jim Hooper wrote about. I received my July issue of Skydiving and in the "Maybe You've Heard" column is a mention of Ruth Howell , she died in Florida May 23rd from cancer.

I jumped with Ruth at Z-Hills and Deland in the 70's, she was a friend and good Skydiver. Another role model among Women.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

A sad note on the good times Jim Hooper wrote about. I received my July issue of Skydiving and in the "Maybe You've Heard" column is a mention of Ruth Howell , she died in Florida May 23rd from cancer.

I jumped with Ruth at Z-Hills and Deland in the 70's, she was a friend and good Skydiver. Another role model among Women.

Hi Steve,

That is sad news indeed :( I too jumped with Ruth (Lanier in those days of course). A sweet lady for sure. I just talked with her on the phone several months ago about the Keys Boogie at Marathon and had no clue she was ill. Sorry to hear this and condolences to Lou.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

My thanks to all who have posted on the Fate, RW and Z’hills and Try again threads. These and more via the email address on my profile has been humbling in their reminders of special Z’hills moments that have lain dormant (some for – ahem – good reason) entirely too long. Which has raised the possibility of a disgraceful second instalment. Thus, a request for tales of favorite memories from those who came, saw and added to the magic of those days. I cannot promise to use all, as the purpose remains to entertain. Readers will have noted that I enjoy laughing at myself: (“A good thing,” someone observed, “as there’s so much to laugh about.”) In any case, should you wish to share them - with the understanding that I will be the final arbiter and editor – they will be gratefully received.
Jim Hooper

That sure was fun to read again Jim. I still remember the one & so far only time a van full of us came down for the 1977 Easter Boogie. We met you at manifest, where you checked our logbooks & reserves and turned us loose. Up north it was still cold and gray, but Florida was sooo beautiful that week. It was also our first experience with big loads and big planes. We had a Beaver up norht at Seneca Falls and had jumped in a 6 Way the weekend before. But oh Lordy, you had 40 Tango and our first morning we got put onto a "relaxed" 14 Way round. I had about a hundred jumps then and still rmember thinking on the way up "Oh boy, now we've gone & done it". Before it was our turn, we got to watch Exitus do their speed star chunk exit and our minds were blown, we knew we were watching the very frontier of the sport. And the parties, camping out on the airport - well you know all about those. It was still one of the most exciting and eye opening vacations of my entire life. Hope you don't mind if I'm thirty years late, but THANKS !!

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !