dbrggs

Senior Research Project

Good morning, my name is David and I am a senior in high school. I have made one jump so far. I am writing this to see if I can get some help on my senior research paper. You see my mom is the all mighty skybytch, she knows a lot but I would like to get a lot of different views. My general topic is "Skydiving". I would like to incorporate many if not all of the main disiplines in the sport. If anyone has any information that they are willing to let me quote in my paper I would greatly appriciate it. Thank You for reading this post. DBrggs

Sorry that it was so broad. I am really looking for some information on why the person started skydiving and what kept them in the sport. How they feel about advancements in the sport and what they see in the future for skydiving. I am trying to make it as interesting as possible for fellow classmates who enjoy sleeping in class and a teacher who is dull minded. I hope this helps. DBrggs

"You see my mom is the all mighty skybytch, she knows a lot but I would like to get a lot of different views. "
Yeah agreed she is almighty (we're not worthy!), but I don't think she knows shit about canopies..;)
Seriously, Dave, your mom rawks, .....
I'll give you some links on things like the development of freeflying, and wingsuit flying, later on when I've had a chance to find em...these are arguably the most dynamic in terms of current development. Belly flying, CRW, style and accuracy are relatively stagnant in terms of advancement in the last 5 years or so......No offence meant to supporters of these disciplines.
Technical advances in container and canopy design have, on the other hand come a long way in the last 5 years or so....
Cya
D

Hey! You little brat! Get back to studying and leave the post whoring to us! :P
C'mon you guys, help my kid out here. Look how politely he asked... see how good I raised him?
pull & flare,
lisa
---
On the other hand...you have different fingers

I started skydiving because I'm an adrenaline junkie, and I found I could go straight to freefall with this thing called AFF. I was on an AFF course 6 weeks later.
I continue because I still get a buzz from how surreal it is too sit in the open door of an aircraft and watch the world in the same sort of way that any other "approaching" middle aged man might sit in his comfy chair and read a paper. I get a buzz from flying with my friends and being free of gravity for a while (I know that's technically incorrect but we know what I mean :)) I get a buzz closer to my old motorbike racing days when I execute a really dialled in surf on no wind days.
I love the attitude of skydivers. The sport transcends class, wealth, race and gender, and nearly everyone in it is really cool. I love the social ("hic") life :)
I'm happy freeflying and I am very pleased the sport has developed this way. I'm not so sure I would have stayed in the old FS only days. A bit too regimental for me, but then it was a sport full of ex-squaddies - no offence intended here guys and gals, in many cases you are now the people running the dz's and making this sport available to all.
I love the continuing development and introduction of new ideas, although I tend to wait for a quite a few people to try them out before I go near them, but that's my choice.
I love that choice, and the almost frontier nature of the sport.
I love being around first time jumpers, their excuitement is infectious :)
In the future I hope the innovation continues, and it would be great if we could break down the unreasonabble fears associated to skydiving and introduce many more people to the sport.
There's probably tons I missed but I wrap it there.

I started skydiving by accident. It ended up being one of the best things to ever happen to me. 21-22 years old partying all the time dabbling in drugs and aimlessly cruising through life with very little ambition and motivation. I was pretty disappointed with myself and when I went to do my first skydive I decided to go by myself (AFF) Secretly in the back of my mind i was not scared because I was to a point were my life was meaningless to myself. Well it has changed my life tremendously. Here I am five years later and I am an instructor an the weekends. My personal life has improved ten fold because in order to succeed and become better in this sport I had to cut out all the BS. The decision was easy. I work hard now during the week saving my money. I work hard at the DZ trying to spread the addictiveness of the sport to others. Skydiving helped me grow up, become responsible for myself, and to steal a quote from one Hottamaly "Skydiving gave me a reason to live!" I look forward every weekend to going to my own personal rehab ~ The DZ. I have seen the sport affect many in different ways, mostly positive. It purges my mind of undesireable things.
I wrote this quickly since I am at work but if you need any more info send me a PM. You can give me call.
~Blue Skies~
Actually I need to add one more thing. I used to run around with a bad crowd. The people at the Dropzone have been some of the most supportive caring friends I have ever met. They are my new family. My old friends? They're goneB|
SEBAZZ.......

Hmmm...why I started skydiving? Well...it all started in the Air Force. I knew from the day I became a Forward Air Controller that I wanted to be "Airborne." Don't really know why. It just seemed like something cool to do. I was always the guy volunteering to do whatever it was other people didn't want to do. Be it rapelling from helicopters, hanging on a fast rope 300 Ft in the air during an extraction, riding on the outside of a helicopter during infil, being up close and personal when the bombs went off. Whatever it was, as long as it was loud, fast, and dangerous I liked doing it. Jumping out of an airplane was just the next challenge. Of course in the military all you get is a 4 second free fall before the static line opens the container but still fairly exciting for a whuffo. The strange thing was how long it took me to take up Sport Skydiving. I was a jumper in the Air Force from April 1996 until May of 2000 when I finally got the bug to do it for fun. Ever since then and especially since I got out of the military skydiving has been my outlet. I would be absolutely miserable without it. It gives me the release, freedom, and adrenaline fix that I need to live life. The people I meet in the sport are the next greatest thing. I have made life long friends in this sport that I would be without otherwise. I can't imagine life without a DZ.
"It's all about the BOOBIES!"

I started with the university club - I've wanted to skydive since I was 16, but my parents wouldn't sign the forms. So I joined and kept jumping. The people in the sport are cool as well - I've made loads of friends cos of it :) boobies - the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes problems

I started skydiving on my 28th birthday.....because I wanted to impress this guy that I had a HUGE crush on.....we went out there together, but he chickened out.....turned out to be gay too.....I made my first static line jump that day. It was kuhl....That was in '94.....so I married the guy who owns the plane.....got a nifty kiddo out of the deal 3 years later. Anyway......I LOVE the advancements in the sport....in terms of flying and equipment. But there are better people than me to give particulars here. I'm still a belly flyer, and though I LOVE my FX, I'm really not educated enough about the finer points of equipment advances to give any intelligent feedback here..... I think we are just on the front-end of advancements, though.....just testing the waters. But I don't know where it's gonna go.....I believe, though, that if we can imagine it, it will eventually be done....
some days it's just not worth gnawing through the straps
http://home.earthlink.net/~linzwalley

I had always wanted to try skydiving. I remember seeing movies growing up and telling myself that I would try it one day. Aviation has always been something that I daydreamed about. I always wanted to be a pilot and fly my own aircraft, go into space, or sit in a cockpit of a F-16 and be the War hero!
I was sitting in my office at work one day and I was telling myself that I was working way too much and I needed to get out and experience something adventurous. I asked a co-worker if he wanted to go and he said sure. We went that weekend.
After my first tandem I was addicted. The rush thrilled and scared me so much I could not think about anything else. So, I saved some money and went through AFF. I consider myself lucky to be able to experience this and I feel that everyone should at least experience it once.
Because of my travels for work and the amount of hours I put in knowing that I can always go to a dropzone located close to where I will be staying is awesome. Because I have traveled so much the last three years I can always go to any dropzone and be amongst friends and have a great day of skydiving and an enjoyable evening of relaxing with my new friends.
I certainly want to become an instructor one day so I can assist my friends in their introduction to this sport. I want to take them on their first tandem and be their AFF instructor. The bond you have with your friends will grow intensly when they are able to experience this sport.

I never wanted to try skydiving a single day in my life until it automatically hit me one day when my daughter's 5th grade teacher was going on and on about it (you know how skydiver's can talk about their sport a little!). So, I decided to do a tandem as my mid-life crisis before I turned 35, and now I'm still doing it 2 years later and will hopefully continue to do it for the next 30 years.
Skydiving has completely changed me, and my entire outlook on life. I'm much more relaxed now about life, less judgemental about the way other people live their lives, and try to live each day to it's fullest. Finding skydiving also helped me to lose 60 pounds, first because I was so scared and couldn't eat, but then later because I had truly found something to fullfill me in a different way than food ever could.
What do I love about skydiving? The adrenaline rush, the excitement and speed, the comraderie of the people in the sport, and the confidence that it gives me when I think that I can jump out of a plane 13,500' in the air, do a few tricks, and land (almost) on a spot on the ground that I had picked out high in the air. Now, that's cool!
Andrea
I'm high as a kite
I just might
Stop and check you out.

I started skydiving in hopes of spending more time with my girlfriend, who was a sky-junkie. I didn't let her know until I already had about 10 jumps. The plan was to do it now and then and stay current, but now I spend pretty much my whole paycheck on jumping.
My girlfriend and I broke up partially because I "invaded her world" But I got something out of the relationship that no one she can't take back. A love for skydiving. I win.
Now as to why I freefly (or attempt to). Basically it's because if you don't freefly at my dropzone. you have trouble getting anyone to jump with you. So basically peer pressure.
Hopes this helps you out a little.

My mother used to skydive as well in the early to mid 70's. It was after the divorce with my father. She was sad and depressed and figured something really outlandish would jump start her life again. She ended up doing 60 something jumps before she stopped. Back then the landings were harder. Hurt her back, but she got what she needed from the sport. At dinner several weeks ago she said she still has dreams about climbing out onto the strut of the cessna and that first few seconds of ultimate freedom and release after stepping off the strut. We have a special bond because we are both jumpers and the rest of the fam is chicken sh*t:)60 jumps back then was a lot!! Actually 60 can be alot for some these days too!! Even though her last jump was twenty five years ago she is still a jumper. It's all about the freedom and human flight. Just call me a sky junkyB|
SEBAZZ.......

why I started skydiving?
My partner had been jumping for 2 years, we had two young son's to raise. I hated the fact he could take off and have fun whenever the sky was blue. For mother's day he gave me a dozen roses and a card which had a gift certificate for a tandem jump. I was disappointed as wished it was gift certificate for getting hair done, new outfit??
I had to rebel against any talk involving me trying the sport. I wanted to try skydiving because I wanted to- not because he wanted me to. I carried my gift certificate around in my wallet for the next year- it wasn't until he stopped pushing for me to make a jump- one day while doing dishes I decided out of the blue- hey, I am going to make a tandem jump. (1987)
Hey, I wasn't trusting enough to relax- or even smile when the door opened.
exit: I figured was horrible- too fast- couldn't scream- couldn't puke- couldn't shit my pants-
freefall: wow, to this day recall how incredible falling stable was.
canopy deployment: this was adrenaline pumping- awesome, the shock of experiencing freefall to the peace felt looking up at that huge canopy, how quiet it was flying around- how gentle the landing was.....how "alive" I felt.
Being the responsible "mother" took months before I decided to take my training. Learning to skydive wasn't easy- army boots, reserve on my belly, round canopies- helmets that covered my eyes while looking up on launch--in the army now!
Static line progression, 5 second delays- 10 second delays- 15 second delays- I did best on my jumps when my partner wasn't there to "be overwhelmingly helpful."
what kept me in the sport?
My tandem jump experience. All the way through my training I visualized being able to leave the aircraft- by myself and feel the sensation I had on my Tandem jump in freefall.
(May 2002) I am logging my 1000th. jump- and extremely proud of it!! Can honestly say it took atleast 350 jumps before I could leave the aircraft and "fly my body" without thought. The merging of action and awareness- aware of my actions but not aware of my awareness. The action and reaction had become so well practiced- it became automatic.
"I can fly!!" and feel the sense of ecstasy associated with every second of freefall.
advancements in the sport and what I see in the future for skydiving?
My oldest son (23) is taking his training this summer. He has established himself with a well paying trade, purchased his jeep- and now wants to pursue skydiving, and has saved money to get him off to a good start- even purchase his gear. Made a tandem jump when he was 10 (as soon as he could fit in the harness)
Advancements in the sport today- he will not be taking static line progression. He will not be flying round main canopies or be jumping with a round reserve. He will be learning to fly with AFF training so will log more time in freefall. His progression into the sport will be alot faster than mine. His gear will fit nicer and be smaller. His pilot skills under canopy will also progress faster as he will be flying canopies that require way more skill. He will most likely get into freefly rather than discipline in the RW flying........
Karen ;o)

I started jumping because the Army made me do it. Airborne school is voluntary but it was really expected of anyone in my job so I decided to suck it down and do it. I am not an adrenaline junky (or should I say wasn't) but I do like to experience new things. I'm actually fairly afraid of heights. Rock climbing scares the bejesus out of me!
I wanted to skydive immediately after graduating airborne school but could never find the time or money. 9 years later, out of the military now, my wife buys both of us jumps for our 9th anniversary. I loved the people at the dropzone and the excitement of jumping so much that I kept going back until, bam!, I have my A license.
I stay in the sport because I love challenges and this sport offers a tremendous amount of them. I will never be able to master all of the different disciplines. I don't think it will ever get boring.
As far as advancements in the sport, I think anything that will make the sport safer and more fun is welcomed. I am not a daredevil and would enjoy this sport just as much if you took the possibility of death and disfigurement out of the equation. I don't believe we will ever get there but every step helps.
I hope this little bit helps.
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.

I got started in the sport on a dare. My brother wanted to do a tandem for his 21st birthday. He managed to talk my dad and stepmom into going also. Then he dared me. Being the whole brother/sister thing, How could I refuse? LOL I got a little motion sick in the plane (C-182) but didnt want to go back down. By the time the door opened, I couldnt wait to get out of that damn plane. LOL However, the instant we left the plane, everything was alright. It was the most awesome thing I had ever done.
I have been in the sport for 2 years now and moved halfway across the US to jump at a bigger DZ. Yeah, I am hooked.
What kept me in the sport was the people. You are simply a skydiver at the DZ, not a doctor, lawyer, clerk or dz bum. We all have a common goal. To enjoy ourselves in a sport that we all love and to share it with others.
The changes in skydiving are tremendous. The advancements in containers, canopies, etc and even in the training and skill. I enjoy the aspect of continuously learning. Nothing is stagnant in this sport. There is always something to learn.

We have a special bond because we are both jumpers and the rest of the fam is chicken sh*t

My Dad and I are the same way. He was a professional pilot for 42 years and had about 65 jumps. My brother has done quite a bit of flying in his life but I have done a little flying and a lot of jumping. His last jump was in 1965 but I could see his eyes light up the day I took him out to the DZ to watch me jump. He marveled at the equipment....and jumping in shorts and Tevas....:)"It's all about the BOOBIES!"

Hi, David.
Interesting question. I'll try to answer it as honestly as I can.
I had divorced a very abusive and controlling husband. Five months after the divorce was final, and nearly a full year after he had hurt me for the last time, I was still not capable of handling anything other than my business. I was significantly depressed, medicated for depression and a severe sleeping disorder (I couldn't sleep - I'd get about 4 hours a night, nightmare ridden), and suicidal. I couldn't picture myself living this way for the rest of my life, and I was getting so tired of fighting with myself. I would come home, and wonder "what next"...I had a hard time deciding what to wear, what to eat - no-one was telling me what to do, and because I had had that for so long, I had kinda frozen in place. For example, it took me 4 months to decide to tint my hair, and then, when I went in, I asked the hairdresser to make it so subtle that no one would notice. She complied, so I was royally pissed when no-one noticed. My life was not making any kind of sense, let alone progression. I didn't trust myself to make decisions, let alone try anything new. I was not healing, but rather, stuck in a place I liken to hell.
One day, I sat there, at my office, watching a pile of paper, and very angry at myself for not being able to break free of the emotional hold he had on me, and my apparent inability to change my life into something I wanted, which worked, was successful. I decided I needed to do something which would make me trust myself and my decisions again. It was white-water rafting, bungy cord jumping, or skydiving. White-water rafting was more of a team thing, so nope, didn't fit the bill. I figured that bungy cord jumping was more dangerous, so I opted to try AFF level one - a tandem wouldn't work, because it was about saving myself, saving my life, choosing to live; I had to do it myself, for myself, by myself. I was going to go just once, just to prove to myself I could trust myself with my life and with decisions. I called and booked the jump right away, not discussing it with anyone, just doing it.
I told my family I was going to do it, and they didn't believe me. You see, I am terrified of heights, petrified of planes (of all sizes), and don't particularly care for falling. So they didn't believe me. But they came anyway.....
And I was terrified. Petrified. Abject horror engulfed me on the plane ride up. I never thought about dying - I didn't think at all, really. Just switched over to automatic and got into the door. Ready, set, out - and this incredible grin broke out. It wouldn't have mattered if I had died that jump - I had been able to get out into the air....I had moved past the fear, the frozen-ness; I was catapulted into my future with that one single movement - from safety and security and someone else making all the decisions, into thinking, and doing, and making choices for myself - all as I crossed the threshold of the door, and into the air.
Long story short, I blew the entire dive - I got every signal in the book which I utterly ignored. The only thing I got right was because my videographer was signalling me to PRCT, which, once I figured out what he wanted me to do, I tried with my left hand. Total brain fade. BUT: I pulled for myself, got a good canopy over my head, shrieked in joy and amazement, and then stared between my feet at the hawks dancing below me... it was surreal, other-worldly, unexpectedly delicious, freeing. Even though I got lost in the air, I finally found the airport and landed (again, breaking every rule in the book - crossing the runway at about 400 feet, turning at about 250 feet, not actually getting into the wind...) but I was down, and it was amazing. I was so high, and so proud of myself - if I could get out of a plane at 12,500 feet, and fly, damnit, fly, there was not a thing on this earth I couldn't do, if I chose to. Nothing left to fear, and everything left to experience.
I left the DZ that day, never intending to do it again - it was enough that I did it once. I kept dreaming of it, staring at the stills, in awe that I could have done it...and telling everyone about it. It occurred to me that I should do it again, and the rest, as they say, was history. I had serious door fear, a cut away, and challenges galore, but I managed to get through AFF and here I am, a licensed jumper.
And when my ex called at Christmas, I basically was able to tell him I had moved on, was not interested in ever hearing from him again, and to leave me alone (as Tom Petty would say: "Don't come around here no more...."). I have had no trouble trusting myself on decisions since.
I mean, I flew, right? How hard can anything else ever be? It has changed my life, given me a freedom I have never had, ever, and a courage and confidence about my abilities that could not have ever come without flying. It has separated me from who I was, and brought me to a place where I can be, and do, anything I want.
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
If you really want to, you can seize the day; if you really want to, you can fly away...
~enya~

Your mom is so much cooler than mine.
I'm being interviewed tomorrow by a friend on why I skydive and what it's all about. It's for her final paper in a "feature writing" journalism class. Guess she's supposed to write an exciting article, so i might just have to make up some stories for her. Anyway, if I come up with any good reasons for why I skydive or anything like that, I'll let ya know. I have no clue what I'm gonna say yet. She says "cuz it's fun" won't cut it.
Dave
http://www.skydivingmovies.com