candace

jesus string

In the 70's when the piggyback containers were grommet and cones you could experince a cone lock once the ripcord was pulled. People would bang on the container to release the pressure. The Jesus string came into play to releive this issue. The string was routed to the top container of the reserve and the other end tied to the ripcord blast handel. When you pulled the ripcord and cleared the housing you would pull on the top flap. It worked well. The real fix was the inovation of moving to a loop closure vs the old cones.

AHHH...but it is also possible to have a pack closure on loops . i have seen it several times.correct me if i am wrong(after all i am an old fart)para flite i believe invented the use of closing loops for sport rigs,first introduced on the strato star main containers that shipped with every canopy.

Yeah, I remember hearing about Piglets loop locking. A friend tells about rolling on his side for the bounce when his Piglet reserve finally opened at 400'.

He used a Jesus rope after that.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi Candy,
Well the above posts tell you what it is. How it got to be called a "Jesus String" is that after you cut away and pulled your ripcord and the accompanying Jesus string you would yell,"Oh Jesus Oh Jesus!!!!" hoping your reserve opened before you bounced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

AHHH...but it is also possible to have a pack closure on loops . i have seen it several times.correct me if i am wrong(after all i am an old fart)para flite i believe invented the use of closing loops for sport rigs,first introduced on the strato star main containers that shipped with every canopy.

The first closing loops I saw on commercial gear were on the Pop-Top reserve. The first I saw on piggyback rigs were on Booth's Wonderhog when I went to work for him.

The Strato-Star didn't come out until a few months later as I got the first one delivered in Florida and the container for them came much later and didn't "ship with every canopy." (either that or they still owe me a container [:/] )

The commercial giants at the time (I went to work to build the first Wonderhogs for Booth in late 1974) like Pioneer and Strong were still using cone/grommets on their piggyback systems.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

i worked at paraflite and they did indeed ship a container w/ every canopy. . the reason was that there really werent many containers available that were small enough nad the container had to trap the bag till all that nice reefing line played out. first ones were shipped in june or july of 1974 to exitus(i think).if you didnt get a container, then para flite still owes you one (LOL)

i worked at paraflite and they did indeed ship a container w/ every canopy. . the reason was that there really werent many containers available that were small enough nad the container had to trap the bag till all that nice reefing line played out. first ones were shipped in june or july of 1974 to exitus(i think).if you didnt get a container, then para flite still owes you one (LOL)

Pretty sure no container came with it. Bill and I had to call to figure out the packing instructions. I think it was one of the very first to leave the factory.

Yeah, it was certainly interesting to watch all that line pay out before the bag lifted off. Went to a slider about midway through 75. Put 650 jumps on that Strato-Star and never had anything but wonderful openings and at 135lbs at the time, nice landings too :)
I believed (and still do) that a properly packed, properly maintained, slider equiped Strato-Star would open everytime.

When I watch some of the 500+ foot snively openings out there today, I wonder where canopies like that baby went...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I ordered a new StratoStar around New Years 76, and remember it was one of the first I had seen with a slider...I was actually very happy it didn't have rings & ropes.
It did come with a main container...very boxy shaped. I tied it to an old harness I had and jumped it with a chest mount reserve until my new WonderHog and Piglett2 arrived.

I still have the canopy, although it's been equipped with a strap as a deployment device since 77 or so.

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

I put about 500 jumps on my Strato Star with out and malfunctions, too.
The only malfunction was when I let a friend of mine make his first square jump but neglected to tell him what end-cell closures where :-)
He chopped it and said the reserve open kinda slow.
It was a 24' flat with Elsinore 4 line release #1.
The reason it opened slow was the last rigger left the temp pin in the MA-5 pilot chute.
Gary Douris had a good time informing him of his mistake :-)

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

Yeah, I remember hearing about Piglets loop locking. A friend tells about rolling on his side for the bounce when his Piglet reserve finally opened at 400'.

Hoooooo... Shit be BIG at 400'
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I had a sort of variation on the Jesus String built into my 1977 Hanbury rig. At the time, Jim Hanbury was still experimenting with Kevlar ripcords on the reserve. The ripcord was a two pin, but instead of being in a straight line, it was a "Y" split to the two grommets and closing loops. The pins themselves had a loop bent into them where the ripcord attached and the loop was too large by design to pass through the ripcord channel housing grommet. So when you pulled your ripcord, the loops on the pins hit the grommet and continuing the pull would manually peel the top flap back. I ended up using the reserve a couple times and how I'd pull the thing hard (it was an easy enough pull) and could feel myself pulling that top flap open. Still said the "Jesus mantra" until the reserve opened, which obviously it did. But by late '78 or '79 Hanbury gave up on the idea and went to a conventional steel cable, 2 pin (in line) reserve ripcord, which was typical of the times.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !