highspeeddirt

jim handbury

Jim Handbury was a Southern California rig manufacturer who's "Handbury Rig" was a regionally popular rig that gave the Wonderhogs (Vector) and the SST (Racer) a run for their money. The So Cal jumpers, at the time, had an attitude like those other two rigs were so Florida . . .

Jim built the first two Velcro closed BASE containers (the forerunner of every BASE rig built today) for Carl and Jean Boenish in about 1983 after Carl asked him for something simpler so they could make 300-foot balloon jumps at Lake Elsinore.

I only met him a few times, but I know his former wife Dana better and she would be a good source of info.

Jim was killed (I have to go look this up to be sure of the year) in the early to middle 80s whilst testing an emergency parachute attached to a Cessna. The parachute fouled on the tail and Jim bailed out but didn't get a canopy in time.

I've always thought every BRS system on ultralights (Ballistic Recovery System) and the system used on the current Sirius production aircraft should be called the Handbury System.

Jim also had a hang gliding background (the two sports were very intertwined in the 1970s in California) and he flew the hang glider with two jumpers that launched over Yosemite Valley. The two jumpers left the hang glider, did a quick two way and landed in the valley below. This jump was made three years before Carl Boenish organized his Yosemite loads that started the entire BASE jumping revolution in 1978. But it was the very beginning of the battle (still raging today) between jumpers and Park Rangers.

Another interesting tidbit (courtesy of Sparky) is Jim never held an FAA rigger's ticket. I'll guess it was because they didn’t have a third classification of riggers, and the one that would have fit him, "Wizard rigger."

Had he lived I'll venture Jim would have been one of the biggies in rig manufacturing today. We can only wonder what innovative ideas we lost the day he died.

NickD :)BASE 194

This is funny . . .

I wanted to check the facts, spelling, etc. and I looked it up on the rec.skydive archive and the first post to appear was my own from 15 years ago.

Still valid though . . . LOL.

>>Jim Handbury built two models of the Dactyl. A single and double keel version. Their flight performance was midway between the popular ram airs of the time (Strato Clouds and Strato Stars) and the small RW rounds (Piglets and Starlites). Some thought they were difficult to pack and breaking even one suspension line usually meant you had to chop it. And yes, they were meant to be flared, but landings were hard by today's standards.

For a short time the canopy was available with a container designed for it called the Razorback, or the Double Dactyl. Right before his death, Jim was selling the canopies for $190.00 each.

Did you say you were thinking of trying one? (Well, have a rigger look it over as they "are" getting old) and find someone on the DZ who remembers how to pack one and pick a day with a steady 10 MPH wind so you don't hammer in.

Have Fun!!

Nick<<

Jim Handbury was a Southern California rig manufacturer who's "Handbury Rig" was a regionally popular rig that gave the Wonderhogs (Vector) and the SST (Racer) a run for their money. The So Cal jumpers, at the time, had an attitude like those other two rigs were so Florida . . .

Also in the early 80's the Handbury Rig was licensed to a friend of mine, for manufacture at a loft in Santee, Ca.

He also made a rig there called 'The Force' which was used by the USAPT , as well as Phantom Reserves...also under a licensing agreement.

After he closed the loft about '90, my friend and I shared a lagre storage facility. (up until a couple years ago)

In his area of it, were several sewing machings, hardware, raw materials, left over inventory etc.
~ a few 'brand new' handbury rigs that never sold...

I remember looking at one not real long ago, thinking it's STILL a good looking and usable design...certify it for a square reserve and add some tuck flap riser covers and start sewing!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Jim built the first two Velcro closed BASE containers (the forerunner of every BASE rig built today) for Carl and Jean Boenish in about 1983 after Carl asked him for something simpler so they could make 300-foot balloon jumps at Lake Elsinore.

I only met him a few times, but I know his former wife Dana better and she would be a good source of info.

Jim was killed (I have to go look this up to be sure of the year) in the early to middle 80s whilst testing an emergency parachute attached to a Cessna. The parachute fouled on the tail and Jim bailed out but didn't get a canopy in time.

I've always thought every BRS system on ultralights (Ballistic Recovery System) and the system used on the current Sirius production aircraft should be called the Handbury System.

Jim also had a hang gliding background (the two sports were very intertwined in the 1970s in California) and he flew the hang glider with two jumpers that launched over Yosemite Valley. The two jumpers left the hang glider, did a quick two way and landed in the valley below. This jump was made three years before Carl Boenish organized his Yosemite loads that started the entire BASE jumping revolution in 1978. But it was the very beginning of the battle (still raging today) between jumpers and Park Rangers.

Another interesting tidbit (courtesy of Sparky) is Jim never held an FAA rigger's ticket. I'll guess it was because they didn’t have a third classification of riggers, and the one that would have fit him, "Wizard rigger."

Had he lived I'll venture Jim would have been one of the biggies in rig manufacturing today. We can only wonder what innovative ideas we lost the day he died.

Nick,
I had the pleasure of both meeting and jumping with Jim and Dana on several occasions. Jim was one of my "rigging heros", a true pioneer of the "art". Very smart guy, very affable too. He, as you state would have been "huge" in the industry. Garry is one of my all time hero's too, we share so much in common. We have always had the best personal and professional relationship you could imagine. Garry Douris is one of the most under-rated parachute equipment designer/ builders of all time! He is also the most low key guy you will ever meet (I know you know him and know this, but it's for all of those that don't know) and he will always make you feel at ease. I teasure all of the often lengthy talks about equipment,FAR's and devices that we covered over the years, he truly is a fountain of knowledge. I owe a great debt to both Jim and Garry for all of thier knowledge and guidence, both are worthy of the (future) Rigging Hall of Fame.

Mick.
JMHO.:)

can anyone give me some history on jim handbury?

I had long wondered what the story was with his accident. After some digging through the NTSB reports I found # LAX86FA183, copied below. It can't be easy to do solo test drops out of a 150... Still a sad end for a pioneer.

========

Accident occurred Monday, April 21, 1986 in BERMUDA DUNES, CA
Probable Cause Approval Date: 3/25/1988
Aircraft: CESSNA 150B, registration: N1118Y
Injuries: 1 Fatal.

THE PURPOSE OF THE RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT FLIGHT WAS TO DOCUMENT THROUGH THE USE OF VIDEOTAPE THE DEPLOYMENT & TRAJECTORY OF A SPECIALITY PARACHUTE WHICH WAS CONNECTED TO A BALLAST BAG. THE PLT, WHO WAS THE DESIGNER OF THE DEVICE, UTILIZED HIS EXPERIMENTAL CATEGORY ACFT FOR THE LAUNCH. AT THE PREARRANGED ALTITUDE OF 3000 FT AGL, THE DEVICE EXITED OUT OF THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ACFT. THE ACFT'S DOOR HAD BEEN PREVIOUSLY REMOVED, & WHEN THE DEVICE LEFT THE ACFT THE BALLAST BAG'S ATTACHMENT CORD BECAME ENTANGLED WITH THE LEFT LANDING GEAR WHEEL RIM ASSEMBLY. THE PARACHUTE, WHICH REMAINED ATTACHED TO THE BAG, STREAMERED BEHIND THE ACFT. THE ACFT STALLED, PITCHED DOWNWARD & DESCENDED INTO TERRAIN WHILE IN A VERTICAL ATTITUDE. THE PLT BAILED OUT OF THE ACFT AT ABOUT 400 FT AGL. HIS PERSONAL PARACHUTE DID NOT DEPLOY. THE PLT WAS FOUND TO HAVE A 0.10 LEVEL OF ETHYL ALCOHOL IN HIS BLOOD.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
PLANNING/DECISION..IMPROPER..PILOT IN COMMAND
IMPAIRMENT(ALCOHOL)..PILOT IN COMMAND
PROCEDURE INADEQUATE..PILOT IN COMMAND
LOAD JETTISON..NOT ATTAINED..PILOT IN COMMAND
LANDING GEAR..FOREIGN OBJECT

I had the chance to talk to Dana about a year ago. As some know, her son is handicapped and they decided to get him a service dog to help out. Dana knew my wife was involved with a service dog organization called Canine Companions for Independence and contacted us. I usually help out during the training that matches the specific dog to the individual and so got to talk to Dana a bit. She is doing well with a real job and her son Kurt is doing very well. She talked a bit about getting back into jumping but I haven't heard anything recent. For those that have a copy, Skies Call 2 has a picture of Jim and Kurt doing a tandem (possibly the first tandem) on pg 125 with photo credit being Charlie McGurr.

Also in the early 80's the Handbury Rig was licensed to a friend of mine, for manufacture at a loft in Santee, Ca.

He also made a rig there called 'The Force' which was used by the USAPT , as well as Phantom Reserves...also under a licensing agreement.

Would that be Art Tucker ? What's he up to anyway, I'd love to get in touch with Art again.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

It was Kurt's 11th birthday. What few know is that Bob Favreau, then owner of Mister Douglas, had his 9 yr old son on the same jump. It's hard to do RW with a kid in tandem. There are some shots with Bob and son in the background.

About Handbury... He was a real talented hangglider pilot. I have a friend that was a very close friend of Jim and Dana who Handbury trained to make his first jump without taking a DZ course. He just showed up at the DZ, talked the talk, showed his bogus logbook and jumped.

Would that be Art Tucker ? What's he up to anyway, I'd love to get in touch with Art again.

Well....Yes & No. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I asked a few weeks ago about Dana Handbury, Well she and Kirt showed up at Cal-City today looking to make a jump. It has been awhile since her last jump so we did a nice, simple 8-way round. it went great. She will be back tomorrow.

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

Okay... this is weird... this thread about Jim Hanbury... then Dana & Kirt surface at Cal City last weekend... and today I'm at the Avis Rent-a-Car counter in Ridgecrest, I've got a Cal City Skydive t-shirt on and the gal behind the counter tells me her brother-in-law used to jump there a lot... her brother in-law is Mike Deluna (sp?) !!

Okay... this is weird... this thread about Jim Hanbury... then Dana & Kirt surface at Cal City last weekend... and today I'm at the Avis Rent-a-Car counter in Ridgecrest, I've got a Cal City Skydive t-shirt on and the gal behind the counter tells me her brother-in-law used to jump there a lot... her brother in-law is Mike Deluna (sp?) !!

simply,,,,,cosmic :o)

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.