mjosparky

DC-3's and D-18's

Single tail beech= N11DA -A 1953 C-45G, Registered to France, Miles, Wasilla, AK. as of 10 May 06. Only about 50 of this model were ever built.-Doc, D-2785

Now some one come up with a picture of the 3 tailed D-18 that 337 mentioned and I can sleep tight tonight.B|

Anybody can see thats a 4 tailed Beech.
I call bullshit.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

If I can attach the pics, below are 2 shots of the Tri-tailed Beech 18, taken at Del Rio or San Antonio about three years ago.

Below is Bob Parmenter's answer to a Beech nut's question about this weird mod:

"That is Dumod Liner N445DM AF-152 operated by Ken Phillips of Del Rio, TX. It's the last of three converted in 1964-69 by Dumod Corp., Opa Locka, FL and the only triple tail Model 18. A 75" section was added to the forward passenger cabin section and it had a gross wt. of 10,500 lbs. The 3 were originally operated by Commuter Airlines in Binghamton, NY on passenger operations to DC."

Bob literally wrote the book on Twin Beechs - a two-inch thick coffee table job filled with color shots, etc., and detailed info on hundreds of ships. He knew the tail on my Beech had been replaced - the serial # didn't match what he had in his records. Sure enough, it had been changed out -cracked spar- just before I bought it.

Who rembers spotting and using the "buttons" red, yellow and green for direction? Back then when you were over the spot you would alternate the buttons (sending flashing lights to the pilots) to tell them to cut the power.
There is somthing fundimental about spotting for youself and your load that has all but dissapered, sad really.

It is sad.....real spotting was FUN !! Especially if you did it consistently. I always felt honored when people asked me to spot.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Who rembers spotting and using the "buttons" red, yellow and green for direction?

There was also thumb left, thumb right, and finger across the throat, with a relayer.

Cruder, but it worked OK in Houston where there were lots and lots of outs.

I thought the lights and buttons were a big improvement :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Who rembers spotting and using the "buttons" red, yellow and green for direction?

There was also thumb left, thumb right, and finger across the throat, with a relayer.

Cruder, but it worked OK in Houston where there were lots and lots of outs.

I thought the lights and buttons were a big improvement :ph34r:

Wendy W.

That was the precurser to the "high tech" button method, but it did require two people. Buttons cut the workforce in half thus increasing productivity!!:ph34r:;)

Mick.

My understanding is the DZ in Utah uses theirs probally the most frequently as any jump plane. They were still using it as their primary lift as of 2 years ago I think.

The Skydive Utah DC3 is now history. Quite a story there, but not mine to tell. :)
Skydive Utah has a KingAir, a 182, and a 180.

Tom, you are absolutely right! [:/] Spotting is an art completely foreign to many new jumpers. Cessna DZs still teach'um but its a mystery to newbies at the big DZs.

You haven't lived until you've spotted a C-130 at 16.5 over Bermuda face down on the ramp peering over the edge at 160 Knots! :)

Tom, you are absolutely right! [:/] Spotting is an art completely foreign to many new jumpers. Cessna DZs still teach'um but its a mystery to newbies at the big DZs.

You haven't lived until you've spotted a C-130 at 16.5 over Bermuda face down on the ramp peering over the edge at 160 Knots! :)

I spotted the King Air mentioned above, N32229, for a 30,000 ft. load a few years ago. We all pile out and buzz around like fools and open by 4,000 ft. One guys on the load over shot the pea pit by about 6 or 7 feet. He turns around to me, I landed in the peas, and says "The fucking spot was long". Some people are never happy.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I spotted a Skymaster (push/pull) from 20,000 after a eternal ride sucking on a hose which didn't have any oxy anyway.

Spot was good, 3 way by 14,000, taken out by 13,500 and the next thing I was ondering was why the guy below me was waving his arms so soon. :$
Looked at the altimeter and it was 3,500 already.
Everyone landed in the peas with most on a PCs.

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

I spotted a Skymaster (push/pull) from 20,000 after a eternal ride sucking on a hose which didn't have any oxy anyway.

Spot was good, 3 way by 14,000, taken out by 13,500 and the next thing I was ondering was why the guy below me was waving his arms so soon. :$
Looked at the altimeter and it was 3,500 already.
Everyone landed in the peas with most on a PCs.

Nice job for such an old fart.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Made my first skydive in 1997 from Beech D18S N6BA. Made 546 beech 18 jumps and a little fewer than 100 from DC3's Blue Streak and Southern Cross in Utah. The mural in the back of Southern Cross had a 2 plane DC-3 formation load dropping jumpers into the grim reapers hand. It said "Check your gear before you jump". I loved flying in these airplanes. They had PERSONALITY. And so much fun.