MikePelkey

Rear Risers - Be serious

I began jumping on New Year's Day, 1964. The ONLY available parachutes were of the modified military variety. LL's and TU's. The big guys jumped the 35' T10's and everyone else jumped the regular 28' rounds. I never saw a Blank Gore modification. Paracommanders hadn't been designed yet. Usually a student used a Double L, due to its slower speed and moved up to the TU after he got to know what he was doing.

No one I knew ever used the rear risers on landing. The physics of it don't make any sense at all. If you tilt the canopy up what - 1 degree? - you don't change the airspeed at touchdown an iota. The main thing to concentrate on at touchdown was the actual body position for landing, PLF or standup. Anyone who "used" the rear risers on landing was just trying to climb back up into the canopy to keep from connecting with mother Earth, certainly not to have an effect on the landing speed.
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny

I started in 1966. My first 1200 or so jumps were on rounds. I used rear riser flaer on almost all of these, on all the canopies you mentioned. Rear riser flare properly executed get you nice landings. did rear riser flare on T 10 when in the military.
I'm trying to remember the name of the canopy that had steering toggels on both front and rear risers, now that was confusing! Help me someone what was that canopy?
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

I'm trying to remember the name of the canopy that had steering toggels on both front and rear risers, now that was confusing! Help me someone what was that canopy?
------------------------------------------------------------

That would be the Security CrossBow. Toggles on front and rear risers were only on the first year (1964) production run. I have a really nice one with matching S/N's on pilot chute, sleeve, and canopy.

As far as rear risering, I always did it. Didn't matter if it was 28', P.C., CrossBow, T-bow. always made my landings softer.... except when diong accuracyB|
CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Diva #58

------------------------------------------------------------

That would be the Security CrossBow. Toggles on front and rear risers were only on the first year (1964) production run. I have a really nice one with matching S/N's on pilot chute, sleeve, and canopy.

As far as rear risering, I always did it. Didn't matter if it was 28', P.C., CrossBow, T-bow. always made my landings softer.... except when diong accuracyB|

Back in 72 or so a friend (who was a little bit newer to the sport than myself) went to check out some gear that an old jumper was selling. This other guy was trying to raise some cash for his new family, and he pulled out this canopy that we both thought was some type of para-commander yet it wasn't a P.C. (I'm almost certain that it was called a crossbow.) Hell, my memory is about shot, but my friend ended up buying it because I said it sounded like a good deal to me. Thanks to my advice he got screwed.

When we got back to our club we found out we'd just bought some dinosaur of a canopy that noone jumped any more. This was a canopy a lot different than a para-commander, yet it kind of looked like one. At any rate, does that sound like a crossbow canopy to you. Maybe I've got the name wrong. I've been trying to recall that name for a few years now, and I think that's it.

And yes, I always used rear risers when jumping modified T-10's or 28 ft. T.U.'s, or double L's. I wish I was still tough enough to do that sort of thing. But then again I think I could still land a T-10 if given the opportunity. I used to wear my Frenchies when jumping with the Guards and stood up a lot of T-10's. But then again I only weighed about 140 lbs. (back in the good ole days). But by God, I think I could still do er...Steve1:S

This was a canopy a lot different than a para-commander, yet it kind of looked like one. At any rate, does that sound like a crossbow canopy to you. Maybe I've got the name wrong. I've been trying to recall that name for a few years now, and I think that's it.

Another possibility would be the Papillon. (French for "butterfly")

The primary difference in the ParaCommander and the CrossBow was that the X-BO had only flat panels in it, whereas the PC had louvered panels; longer at the rear than at the front giving it the forward drive.
This because Pioneer had a license from the frenchman, M. Lemoigne, who designed a canopy with these type of panels in it.
Interestingly, his early/original work was for a lifting canopy, not something to jump. Just like the late Mr. Jalbert and his Para-Foil (also originally designed as a lifting canopy), from which all of our modern canopies have descended.
Just a little trivia for late nights in the bar.

The primary difference in the ParaCommander and the CrossBow was that the X-BO had only flat panels in it, whereas the PC had louvered panels; longer at the rear than at the front giving it the forward drive.
This because Pioneer had a license from the frenchman, M. Lemoigne, who designed a canopy with these type of panels in it.
Interestingly, his early/original work was for a lifting canopy, not something to jump. Just like the late Mr. Jalbert and his Para-Foil (also originally designed as a lifting canopy), from which all of our modern canopies have descended.
Just a little trivia for late nights in the bar.

This sounds exactly like the canopy my friend bought. I don't know if there were ever many in production, but it sounds like some skydivers jumped them prior to the Para-Commander. After about 70 or so, they weren't worth much....Steve1

Back in 72 or so a friend (who was a little bit newer to the sport than myself) went to check out some gear that an old jumper was selling. This other guy was trying to raise some cash for his new family, and he pulled out this canopy that we both thought was some type of para-commander yet it wasn't a P.C.

Was it possibly a Wing? The Wing was a hot little canopy compared to the TUs and LLs of the time. It was only around for a few years before the squares came into being. They referred to it as a Rogallo Wing. I believe it was made by Irvin Air Chute.
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

A little trivia for you: The Rogallo wing built by Irvin actually was TSO'd by Irvin.

Doesn't one of the Eastern Block countries have a Rogallo type canopy similar to the Paradactly that they use as a reserve?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I started in 1966. My first 1200 or so jumps were on rounds. I used rear riser flaer on almost all of these, on all the canopies you mentioned. Rear riser flare properly executed get you nice landings. did rear riser flare on T 10 when in the military.

Please tell me, did you execute the "rear riser" landings in a holding orientation or a running one? My experience has been that hanging on the rear risers while holding has the opposite effect of hanging on them when you are running.

Am I actually wrong, or have you guys forgot what jumping was like with the modified rounds?

Please tell me, did you execute the "rear riser" landings in a holding orientation or a running one? My experience has been that hanging on the rear risers while holding has the opposite effect of hanging on them when you are running.

Am I actually wrong, or have you guys forgot what jumping was like with the modified rounds?

Two things happen when you pull down on the rear risers. First you move the apex vent off center increasing the drag coefficient a little which will slow the decent rate. Second you lower the rear of the canopy skirt in relation to the front skirt and this will reduce forward drive. If timed right at landing you will land softer with less forward speed. Results vary with canopy design. :P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Two things happen when you pull down on the rear risers. First you move the apex vent off center increasing the drag coefficient a little which will slow the decent rate. Second you lower the rear of the canopy skirt in relation to the front skirt and this will reduce forward drive.

Sparky

This is exactly what I meant. Reducing the forward drive is NOT what you want to do when you are HOLDING. It has the effect of increasing your ground speed.

I suspected that you guys had forgot all about the "running" and "holding" aspects of the TU and LL modded parachutes since no one has mentioned the difference. In a 15-mile per hour wind, running put you at somewhere near 30 miles per hour, and holding at somewhere near zero. Pulling rear risers on landing would increase your forward (ground) speed to 2 MPH or decrease it to 28 MPH, depending on your orientation. Most half smart jumpers opted for holding with the wind on landing, so why would anyone want to increase his landing speed?

Maybe someone who really remembers what jumping those old rounds was all about will help me out here.

I have almost 500 round jumps. I pulled down the back risers and stood them up (a lot of them were barefoot, no less).

Other people have similar memories. Yet others remember pulling down the toggles.

Maybe the round canopies just didn't have all that much forward speed in the first place (especially modified cheapos). 15 mph is a ludicrous claim, based on my experience. My Starlite probably didn't get an honest 15, although I'd've liked to think it did.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wendy, I agree that a forward speed of 15 MPH is ridiculous for a double L ot a TU. 6 to 8 might be a lot closer to the truth...I don't believe a Para Commander would give you 15 MPH forward speed. Someone really doesn't remember about rounds and it isn't us!

And I do most certainly know the difference between running and holding as I am still jumping rounds twice a month at Z-Hills.

And I do most certainly know the difference between running and holding as I am still jumping rounds twice a month at Z-Hills.

I'm ready to give up on this. I feel like I'm talking to the old proverbial brick wall if you "most certainly know the difference between running and holding", and you are proud to claim there is something to be gained in pulling rear risers when landing in a holding orientation.

I am truly surprised that no one has stepped up to the plate to agree with me on this.