steve1

Jerry Bird

I was just wondering if anyone has seen him lately. Someone said that he was driving a cab somewhere in Florida, following his heart attack. I heard his wife has health problems too, and he is working for the health insurance. Another friend said he doesn't even want to talk about jumping anymore. I don't know of anyone in the sport that I respect more. It's kind of a sad ending for a great jumper and a colorful career. I always thought of him as the king of skydiving, even back in the 70's....Steve1

I was just wondering if anyone has seen him lately. Someone said that he was driving a cab somewhere in Florida, following his heart attack. I heard his wife has health problems too,

Hes got a cab in Dade City. Wife is gone and he is sole support of his sons.
Jerry is and always will be a legend.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

We saw him last weekend out at Z hills.
He seems to be doing well.
Got to love those Pioneers.

Glad to here Jerry is doing well. Don't want to sound like a bird man Groupie/fan club but imo he was more than a pioneer He stayed in the sport longer than most and always had a great atitude with everyone.

Never saw the sky snob atitude from the man.:)
R.I.P.

Hes got a cab in Dade City. Wife is gone and he is sole support of his sons.
Jerry is and always will be a legend.

bozo

The fact that Jerry Bird is there for his kids, when they need a father, is further insight into Jerry's character. Just another reason to think of him as being great. Maybe he'll return to jumping when his boys are raised and his health improves.....Steve1

Would it be cheezy of me to chime in here and say, "I just adore Jerry Bird!"? Cuz I do! He was so helpful to me a few years back and he's given so much to the sport AND his boys!

Jerry, if you're reading this, I hope you are well on the road to recovery and doing well! My best to you and your sons!

maura

;)
Jerry is THE man. He was a skygod when I started jumping in 1967 and I agree, he never was hard to talk to or thought he was too good for anybody.

So glad to hear he is hanging out at Z-Hills and there for his kids. I have nothing but total respect for the man.
Tom Courbat
Organized World's 1st 8-Stack - Livermore, CA - Oct 22-23, 1977. Broke neck on 2nd attempt. CCR 9/CCS 35. Started CCR/CCS Program & sold to USPA. SCR 572/SCS 1000

Every time I see Jerry he's always got a story to tell and a helping hand. He just spent his entire saturday helping me fix my car, and then wouldn't even let me pay him! His kids are gambling geniouses and are doing VERY well. But Jerry is in high spirits and if you really wanted to see him, he'll pick you up from the airport, and hang out with you for a while at the dz. Although he talks about skydiving enough, he's definatley retired. Jerry is someone that has been in my life since I was a child, and I'm lucky that I still have him around.

Flora

-Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

I was just wondering if anyone has seen him lately. Someone said that he was driving a cab somewhere in Florida, following his heart attack. I heard his wife has health problems too, and he is working for the health insurance. Another friend said he doesn't even want to talk about jumping anymore. I don't know of anyone in the sport that I respect more. It's kind of a sad ending for a great jumper and a colorful career. I always thought of him as the king of skydiving, even back in the 70's....Steve1

I basically took over from Jerry as the manager of Z Hills after he left. I saw him there briefly last April, but didn't get a chance to say hello. He was driving a cab the last I heard. He turns up at the DZ to shoot the shit and hang out, but he doesn't jump any more from what I can make out.

I get the impression that he's just had anough of jumping now. He's getting on, his health took a turn, and he's the sole support for his two boys. He could just keep on working as a jumper, but I think that after a lifetime of firsts, he's got other priorities in his later years.

Ona personal note, I'm proud to say that I learned just about everything I needed to know about organizing from watching him work. He was the first guy to give a lurking Brit a job as an organizer at Z Hills, and it quite literally changed the whole course of my life from that point on. I became a professional full time organizer, emigrated, and I'm still doing it today. I've never seen anyone take a crowd of people the way that he did and corrall them into a skydive. It's a skill I'm still working on near on 20 years later.

On a personal note, him and I could never be described as close, mainly because we are very different personality types, but that does nothing to diminish my enormous respect for him and what he's accomplished. I'll stand off a load on any day to give him my slot.

I've always been awed by his ability to see and remember what went on in a skydive, the whole skydive. Because when I land and we debrief, there is so much I don't remember about my own portion of the skydive, I barely notice anyone else's performance unless they directly affect mine! All those What happened on exit? Who lost a grip? Who was late? Somehow, he could see it all and breakdown the goods and bads about the skydive without pointing any fingers! A real constructive debrief! So many organizers could learn from him!

EXACTLY!

But the other thing I was getting at was that he always had something positive to say on the debrief, even if the dive wasn't perfect. How many GOOD skydives have you been on and the debrief was full of finger pointing because it wasn't PERFECT? I think it happens often enough that new jumpers turn away from belly flying. We need more Jerry Birds out there!

EXACTLY!

But the other thing I was getting at was that he always had something positive to say on the debrief, even if the dive wasn't perfect. How many GOOD skydives have you been on and the debrief was full of finger pointing because it wasn't PERFECT? I think it happens often enough that new jumpers turn away from belly flying. We need more Jerry Birds out there!

I'll keep this on a positive note and just say there would still be a lot more jumpers still jumping if The DZ's adopted the Jerry Bird method of load orgainizing:)

The people who didn't get to jump with Jerry or the orgainizers that had the same style of organizing have really missed something.:(

IMO what a person does at a DZ or in the real world don't mean squat it's the character of the person that counts:)
R.I.P.

hi all my life i wanted tomeet Arvin good guys, Jerry Bird and make a jump with him, it never realised since being an india i never could able to get VISA.
bit of satisfaction whe i could ablr to Jump with BJ, Kate, Lorry and one of Jerrys old friend Pete. i hope someday i will meet hiim.
lonely indian
life is a daring adventure or nothing at all

Along time ago at a place known as da Gulch after Birds

great friend and my personal mentor Jim Headorn was killed. I asked Jerry this rhetorical question after he said he was thinking of quitting. "Who will fly your slot ? Now 30 years later , I can answer that question for Bird. No one could and no one ever will. Blue Skies Jerry. Strange Dave