propilot

1 Month Skydive Trip to FL...where?

I am going to Florida to skydive for a month. March 1st - April 1st. I want to stay around the Orlando area preferably so I'm choosing between Deland, Zhills, and Spaceland. I know I can try them all but ideally I would like to stick to one DZ for the duration.

I'm looking for 7 day a week jumping with lots of fun jumpers around. I'm coming alone so will need someplace that isnt a tandem mill (lots of fun jumpers to jump with). Deland would probably fit the bill but I tend to enjoy myself more at smaller DZs.

Thoughts? Which ones are your favorite?

Heck, why stick to just one place. With a whole month, you can visit numerous drop zones in the area, from Miami and Clewiston in the south all the way up to Palatka in the north. Jump the full-time DZ's on Monday through Friday, and then head for some weekend-only DZ's on the weekends. That way you can get a taste of about 8 drop zones, and get a really good feel for the Florida jump scene.

I just got back from FL in early Jan. I only jumped in Deland, but the impression I got there was incredibly awesome with a good scene, great people, etc. I honestly have nothing negative to say about that place. I come from a single 182 DZ and I felt right at home there even with turbines turning on a weekday. If I had more time I would definitely have liked to have tried some of the other DZs but I got what I could out of the trip. I also jumped at the Farm in Rockmart, GA and they were also extremely cool and welcoming but you don't sound like you'll be making your way that far North.
I'll be whatever I want to do!

If you're talking about Skydive Space Center in Titusville, the last I heard it was mostly a tandem factory. I never really hear of any fun jumpers going there anymore.

If you are located in Central FL, it's really easy to get to DeLand, Sebastian, Zhills, Lake Wales and Palatka. If you base yourself in DeLand during the week, you should buy a tent and heat off to these events on the weekends:

2-4 Swoop Comp (Zhills) Great fun to watch
10 Safety Day (Zhills) (Check with the other dz's to see if they are doing anything for it)
16-18 Shamrock Showdown (Deland) It's fun to check out the videos in the meet in between your jumps.
23-25 Come on I want to leu u (Sebastian)
30-1 Muff Brothers Reunion (Zhills)

And I highly recommend you extend your visit for a week and go to the Skydive Expo in DeLand on April 3-8. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

a MONTH???!!!!!

that's fantastic...

if you have wheels, travel around a little.....
you can get from one place to the other within a couple to 3 hours drive.. PLUS then you'll see MORE of the state....

so what??/ if things are slow during a weekday.. I would bet that you can STILL get a jump or two anywhere you visit...

meet more people,,,, and Skydive with them !!!..
enjoy.

jmyt

Thanks for the info so far.

I can't extend, have to leave on the 1st.

My experience so far is a mix of belly and freefly. In other words, I stink at both! When I left the sport a few years ago I was sitflying, backflying, and just starting to work with a camera.

I'll be focusing on bellyflying as I want to get my , and Tandem,rating this summer. I also intend to become a tandem camera/video man so, another reason to belly fly for most of the trip.

Since you're really focused on getting good on your belly, I highly suggest booking some tunnel time with a coach who can then also coach you in the sky. There are plenty of coaches at each dz who do both, let us know if you want us to hook you up with someone.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

If you are located in Central FL, it's really easy to get to DeLand, Sebastian, Zhills, Lake Wales and Palatka. If you base yourself in DeLand during the week, you should buy a tent and heat off to these events on the weekends:

2-4 Swoop Comp (Zhills)
10 Safety Day (Zhills) (Check with the other dz's to see if they are doing anything for it)

+1

travel! The best skydiving related part about living in Florida is all of the great DZ's close to each other. Take advantage of it during your trip :)

2-4 Swoop Comp (Zhills)

+1

travel! The best skydiving related part about living in Florida is all of the great DZ's close to each other. Take advantage of it during your trip :)

The above plan is a really good one for many reasons, but the best reason of all is that there will be a bunch of us doing this tour, and if you don't have transportation, you can hitch a ride to and from some of these events.
Here is the link to follow for the Muff Bros event
https://www.facebook.com/minijeferodriguez#!/events/254104057978513/
Here is the link for the previous week at Sebastian
https://www.facebook.com/minijeferodriguez#!/events/197405587001481/
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]