Void425

Which to do first Wind Tunnel or AFF ?

I wish to train using the AFF course but I would also like to try out the Wind Tunnel in NV for a good 15 min block. Do you think it would be best for me to:
1. Do the Tunnel and them take my AFF course?
2. Start AFF to a certain level, then do the tunnel, then finish AFF?
3. Compleate AFF then Try the tunnel.
4. Or just save some money by doing the static course and the tunnel?

Do your training first. Not everyone likes freefall and not everyone like to be under a canopy. The tunnels are great tools to tune the finer points of skydiving, but only after the basics are learned. No matter what on every skydive you need to land so might as well build as much canopy time as possible. Using the tunnel to learn center point turns and different moves and motions for RW is great, but using it to learn all the basics takes away from the real experience a lot in my opinion.

I'd personally avoid the tunnels in Vegas and Tennessee like the plague and hit the only tunnel worth the money right now in Orlando. The ones in Vegas and Tenn require the big balloon suits and have a very narrow column of air that you can fly in. You'll probally spend 5-10 minutes just learning how to stay in the air without falling out of the cone. The air in these is not like freefall air.

SkyVenture has wall to wall air thats very close to freefall style air.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

A friend of mine went to the Airspeed tunnel camp when he had about 35 jumps or so, after AFF he had done Skydive U. Coached jumped, too. Well, he's got about 140 jumps now and flies like he has 700+ jumps (he does have 4 hrs of tunnel time with Airspeed coaches, since he just recently did his second tunnel camp).

Too bad he can't fly his canopy very well.:P

Moral of the story: I agree with Phree, do your training first, but I'd take it a step further. Get some Skydive U. Coaching (go through the entire program if you can), then go to one of the tunnel camps in Florida. (note: eventually I'm going to do the same thing, skydive u. then the tunnel, since I'm a FFer and suck on my belly).

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I suggest you get some tunnel time first, then do AFF training. The tunnel will be fun and will help you relax once you get into freefall. The Las Vegas tunnel isn't as powerful as the one in Orlando, but it should work for your needs.

Give the tunnel company a call and speak to them about your interest in AFF/tunnel training. They may have a package available with a local DZ, or at least they can help you with specific training objectives while you are flying in the tunnel.

One of the other posts mentions that you need a big suit to fly in the Vegas tunnel, and while that is true for first timers, experienced jumpers can fly without a suit. Folks working toward AFF training may be given a smaller suit and more fan speed...so, chat with the tunnels operators and get their opinion. You can also check out their web site at: http://www.flyawayindoorskydiving.com/index1.htm.
A package of five flights with video and coaching is listed at 250.00, and that seems reasonable to me.

-Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Tombuch is right, get a bit of tunnel time before you try AFF. The big advantage of tunnel time is that it allows you to learn basic freefall moves without time pressure. Half of first-time freefallers are so overwhelmed by all the weird and wonderful sensations that they lose track of time.

The thing to remember is that no single training method is perfect. Different schools are different at teaching different skills at different levels. The best schools combine a variety of training methods at different levels.
For example: tandem is the best way to get over the huge psychological hurdle of the first jump. Then a few static-line or IAD jumps allow you to concentrate on learning the basics of steering a parachute. Once you are comfortable under canopy, then you can learn the basics of freefall in a tunnel. The next step is to fine-tune freefall skills with AFF or PFF instructors. Complete the process by doing a few jumps with a coach to polish solo skills.
Sure, the brightest students can handle all the new information involved in doing AFF, but most of us learn better by breaking it down into small chunks and digesting a little new information on each skydive.

Hmmm. Milton keynes.......wind tunnel. Going to Milton Keynes to gain access to a wind tunnel. I guess I can put up with Milton Keynes if it means getting into a Wind Tunnel. ;)

Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

Has any entrepreneur mounted a wind tunnel on a barge or trailer so it could tour with the circus?
Much of the success or failure of a wind tunnel depends upon marketing skills.

Yup. There is a tunnel called Extreme that rides on a flatbed truck. The tunnel mostly visits college campuses for festivals. Students are loaded into balloon suits and have a moment in the vertical air while being held by two attendants. That's it, really. No serious flying, but it's usually a few ride for registered college students.

I was able to spend some time in the Extreme tunnel last summer with a regular skydiving jump suit. The air is crappy but the tunnel does work. I'd say it is a step below the FlyAway tunnels, and about 3 steps below SkyVenture. Still, air is air and it was fun.

Tom Buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Hi!:)I'm REALLY new to skydiving and I'd just like to throw my .02 in. I first went into a tunnel, Orlando's, in May of 2001. Over the course of this last year and a half I have been to both, Vegas more often. The training I got in Vegas has been invaluable in my confidence to actually start to skydive and KNOW how to fly my body. Yes, both tunnels are VERY different and you DO fall out of the wind in Flyaway, but it IS padded!:ph34r: The people there are extremely helpful if you tell them what you have planned as far as training goes. I can not say enough about how kind, generous and PATIENT they were with me. I chose to learn in the tunnel and this past week I did my first IAF. It went awesome! I have done the tandem/IAF course because that is what my dropzone offered for training and I couldn't be happier! The training you learn while under the canopy with an instructor is extremely helpful. You're not just reading and reading about it, you're doing it! That was one of my initial worries that I would not know how to land, much less control the canopy. I guess everyone chooses the way they want to learn but I would highly recommend the tunnel time. The first time you are in there will be a bit difficult, staying in a controled area of air is tough! As you get a few more times in there, it's a piece of cake! I read a lot on here too..another invaluable source of information!!! Don't post much but this caught my eye~;) I wish much luck to ya! If you make it to Flyaway, tell Keith Hi!

Amy