UKKid35

Best Bunkhouse Nominations

I'd like to know about other people's favourite Bunkhouses. I realise the biggest factor is often who is in the bunkhouse at the time, but I'm thinking more about facilities, comfort and cost, as well as atmosphere.

I've only stayed in a few bunkhouses myself, Space Center Titusville (now effectively closed), Empuria (shame the pool has closed), and most recently Lake Elsinore. They were all very different in terms of facilities and character.

So which is your favourite and why?

I've only stayed in a few, but I found the IHOP at Perris and the bunkhouse at Eloy to be good places to stay.

The IHOP is nice because, being a real house, it has real bathrooms (though only 2?) and more ammenities. It was especially nice when I stayed there because the 4 bed room I stayed in had only 1 other person in it.

At Eloy, I like that the bunkhouse is so close to both the bathrooms/showerhouse and to the hangar. The heavy duty privacy curtains on each bunk are also nice, and they're built in a way that the mattress doesn't take up quite the whole bunk, so it's easy to stash water, phone, book, etc. in the extra space.

I've only stayed in a few, but I found the IHOP at Perris and the bunkhouse at Eloy to be good places to stay.

The IHOP is nice because, being a real house, it has real bathrooms (though only 2?) and more ammenities. It was especially nice when I stayed there because the 4 bed room I stayed in had only 1 other person in it.

At Eloy, I like that the bunkhouse is so close to both the bathrooms/showerhouse and to the hangar. The heavy duty privacy curtains on each bunk are also nice, and they're built in a way that the mattress doesn't take up quite the whole bunk, so it's easy to stash water, phone, book, etc. in the extra space.

I don't know. I thought the house at Perris was like the animal house. We got in late and music was blasting and there was no one listening LOL Manifest left us a key. but it was kind of weird walking into rooms looking for a open bed at two in the morning. When we decided to just go get a hotel. as we were walking out we got greeted by some dude that was so drunk he could talk or walk. I like a good time but I would have never have been able to sleep in that house.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

I don't know. I thought the house at Perris was like the animal house. We got in late and music was blasting and there was no one listening LOL Manifest left us a key. but it was kind of weird walking into rooms looking for a open bed at two in the morning. When we decided to just go get a hotel. as we were walking out we got greeted by some dude that was so drunk he could talk or walk. I like a good time but I would have never have been able to sleep in that house.

Maybe I just happened to be there at a good time. It probably helped that I got in early afternoon when it was light and everyone was out for the day. I went to bed pretty early and never had a problem with excessive noise when I was trying to sleep.

I stayed at the IHOP last September during the Big Way Camp. I was worried about staying at an "animal house" as I needed my rest at night. Everyone that was staying there was really considerate about being quiet when coming in late or after people had gone to bed (or taking a late-afternoon nap for that matter). It was weird going to bed with two empty beds next to me at night and waking up in the morning with people in both of them, but not hearing either of them come in to go to bed. Maybe it was just filled with mostly camp participants that were in the same boat as me. I tried to afford them the same courtesy when I got up at 6:30am every morning (I tried to stay on MN time when I was there and that was 2 hours later than I'd normally sleep).

The tunnel running late was far more of a nuisance than any fellow bunk mates, and the tunnel hum was easily remedied with ear plugs.

Skydive Iowa has some sweet bunk houses!!! Very cool that they were built (from frame to electrical to sheet rock) by donated time from skydivers.

Lake Wales, FL has an awesome bunkhouse. There are 4 rooms, each with 2 very comforatable beds. Each room has a mini-fridge, and the rooms are a pretty good size so there is plenty of room for gear and suitcases. There is an adjoining bathroom with shower between 2 rooms - and towels are included!! It's nice to share a bathroom between only 4 people. I don't remember the cost, but i think it's $15 a night - but i would call lake wales to check if that's correct. Super nice and very clean!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Three bathrooms, one of which opens onto the parking lot as well as the hallway or room wherin it is situated.

Unfortunately the jacuzzi ou back was broken, but the beds were decent which is the most important thing. Besides, Sue the caretaker does what she can to keep the house clean and is a nice person who is always up for a chat.
I had good roomies both weeks I stayed there, no loud drunks (except me).
I also liked the fact that there's a living room with a TV and radio and an ample supply of DVDs and VHS.
If ever I return to Perris I'll be staying in IHOP again - a steal at $18 a night.:)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I really like Elsinore's bunkhouse. A bunch of rooms with 2-4 beds each, common kitchen area, bathroom/showers right around the corner. Right next to manifest, and pretty close to everything else, too. Cheap, and comfortable.

I also really liked Skydive Carolina's. Similar to Elsinore's, except the mattresses are a little less comfy, the bathrooms are in the same building, and there's no kitchen.
Brian

I really like Elsinore's bunkhouse. A bunch of rooms with 2-4 beds each, common kitchen area, bathroom/showers right around the corner. Right next to manifest, and pretty close to everything else, too. Cheap, and comfortable.

I really like the modern bathroom/shower block at Elsinore, but they are really cold in February! The hot water only ran out on me once though which was good, and they are cleaned daily which is excellent.

Excellent thread this - potentially very useful for my next trip :)
My worst experience was the old bunkhouse at Empuria - tons of mould on the walls - which didn't help my asthma!

Best experiences include the bunkhouse at Carolina Sky Sports - the bunkhouse was clean and tidy and the food was incredible - only problem was there wasn't really any bars in town!

I've also stayed at the IHOP - a few years ago - it was nice and clean and i didn't have any problems with noise - but then again i was in the bar myself :P

Where else would people reccomend?

Also give a big thumbs up to Eloy's bunkhouse - stayed there last weekend for the third time. Clean, with air conditioning that cranks (which was necessary with the temps last weekend). The fridge isn't exactly what I'd call cold, but having it and the microwave is very convenient, and if you bring a lock (or rent one from manifest) the lockers are a nice secure place to store stuff (especially if you don't have a car).

The only caveat is that I've never been there when it's been particularly crowded; I imagine it might feel a little less comfy if it were completely full.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke