PNW-chris

Chest Strap Video

Hiya,

Just another video link that we can learn from. This one has a few major mistakes. Alt awareness went out the window. Thanks to the jumper who posted this so we can learn from it.
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnQEVDxQIxo]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnQEVDxQIxo

Stay safe,

Chris

PNW-chris

Made clicky.

I came across this one yesterday, the one you've linked I believe is not the original. The one I saw had much more colourful commentary below... :P
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

BigMark

I see a lot of buffeting, what if the hardware gets blown to the side just as it gets pulled?

Still No...it's a simple friction adapter designed specifically for applications of the sort it's being used in here.

When properly threaded & tightened, the wind would have no effect on the integrity of the harness/hardware.

The only thing loose here ~ is the basic operator skill needed to put on a parachute.

...Probably something one should consider perfecting when going on a skydive.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

When properly threaded & tightened, the wind would have no effect on the integrity of the harness/hardware.

Not to mention the fold over at the end of the strap is there to keep it in the hardware, even if it has worked its way loose.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

Not to mention the fold over at the end of the strap is there to keep it in the hardware, even if it has worked its way loose.

A good friend of mine had an Aerodyne rig with no fold sewn into the end of the chest strap. Came like that from the factory. Is this a defect?
If you do things that don't make you appreciate life than why do them

AdamUSN

A good friend of mine had an Aerodyne rig with no fold sewn into the end of the chest strap. Came like that from the factory. Is this a defect?

Don't know about Icons, but Jav's don't have that fold.
Remster

Can't speak to the Aerodyne, but not all rigs have the fold over. My Vector did, My Javelins didn't, my Talon did (I think).
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

This is a great teaching moment video. Without an AAD we would be scheduling his ash dive. I had a major debate with an instructor about this on FB. His position was that this incident began and ended with equipment checking. I said it only began with that. Altitude awareness begins with your first free fall and ends on your retirement jump. This video should be required viewing at Safety Day in 2014. And anybody who laughs, should be spanked.
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

Douggarr

This is a great teaching moment video. Without an AAD we would be scheduling his ash dive. I had a major debate with an instructor about this on FB. His position was that this incident began and ended with equipment checking. I said it only began with that. Altitude awareness begins with your first free fall and ends on your retirement jump. This video should be required viewing at Safety Day in 2014. And anybody who laughs, should be spanked.

I'm with you - of course the primary lesson learned is gear checks. But there's still value in discussing some of the "what if" scenarios, if only because it stimulates your critical thinking skills. As anyone who's been around even a little while knows, incidents most often occur because of a chain of bad decisions. Break one link and you live to talk about it. React well to your first bad decision and that can be the break you need. Prevention is the best approach, but once you fuck up, having some tools in your mental toolkit can save your life.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

From my observation: all wide chest straps (from all manufacturers) have a fold-back, most narrow chest straps have no fold-back.

skydiverek

From my observation: all wide chest straps (from all manufacturers) have a fold-back, most narrow chest straps have no fold-back.

I should've clarified that earlier, but yes, this is what I meant.

It looks like he was jumping a harness with a TY-8 chest strap, which has the fold over.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

skydiverek

Ok yup, makes sense. His is the narrow 1" strap
If you do things that don't make you appreciate life than why do them