Steel

Re: [billvon] Injury at SDA

Maybe you should work on your landings Bob?

Well the cool thing here is by the time you get 1000 jumps you can do whatever you want.

But there would be some protection till then.
And the largest segment of our sport getting killed under a good canopy have less than 500 jumps.

And if you were good enough, you could go higher than the "Plan".

Also what do you weigh? With a 143 you would have to be 200+ pounds to have a 1.5 wingload.

So it would not affect you, only the people who are trying to jump something above their skill level. Why would you have a problem with that?

I think regulation is a bad answer, but the other plans have not worked.

USPA has pull atittudes...Why? Because a bunch of years ago people bounced do to low pulls. The put a rule in to save people from themselves....It is going to happen here with canopies.

All I am saying is WE had better have a plan...or we will be made to use the one THEY come up with.

The number of lowtime jumpers pounding in is proof that just education alone is not working.

BTW nice diamond...My largest is 16. I was a rotation guy though.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

where in the skydving community does this happen? I have read people make reference
to a "cool group" to peer pressure skydivers to downsize. Anyway it doesn't make any
sense to me. I have been jumping a little under a decade and I have met skydivers that
don't bug saying your canopy is to small and skydivers that do. But I have never ever
come across somebody trying to peer pressure somebody else into jumping a smaller
parachute than they feel comfortable with.

Ok well it happened to me in 96. Back when they had two waivers to get a small Stiletto.

My buddies all had small Bat wings, and told me to get a 97.
I would be tired of a 120 in a few jumps they said.

I didn't listen to them, and got a 120...and hooked that fucker into the ground on jump #3. The rumors were great...
I was told that:

1. I had died.
2. I was in the hospital
3. I would never walk again.

The funny thing was I was organizing at Quincy and a guy came up to a friend of mine and asked how I was doing, and that they had been told I was in the hospital. I was packing right there, and got to listen to my own story told by someone that was not there...It was kinda funny when I stood up and said... "Hi Pete".

So it does happen....But to a larger extent it is the guy trying to fit in that buys what he thinks his buddies would approve of to look cool.

I was told it by a good friend of mine that if you want to get on the good loads you have to look the part. He was correct in a way...

Do this, show up at a DZ with an old big rig and a large Sabre. Get an old Jump suit, and a frap hat. Try to get on the cool loads...Unless you are known.. Good luck at a lot of DZ's.

Now shop up, and with all the toys...And come swooping in under a "cool" canopy. Good loads just got easier...

I have done this...Its true.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I hate to have to reply to people I don't consider worth talking to. But since this forum is open to the public I find myself having to set the record straight. Incase if anybody does not know, this is not just out of the blue. This is responding to Mark/Tree's final post which caused Bill Von to lock the thread on the Injury at SDA on the incidents forum.

Who is Mark Kissner / Tree? It took me a while to figure this out but I finally did. Now I don't use offensive adjectives because I can simply rely on the facts, not because I wouldn't like to. Mark/Tree is a big character who looks like a tree and is about as smart as one. The reason I don't give you annecdotes of his landings is not because I don't have any. Instead because I don't need to since there is documented fact to look at. He was kind enough to compete in the pond swoop nationals 2002. So we could track his skill. For those of you who don't know this, it is a competition in which everybody is allowed to compete. Pros, advanced, intermediate, novices and/or anybody who wants to. In this competition of more than 70 competitors he came in third to last place. But wait last place zeroed out so that shouldn't count and the one guy he did "beat" actually hit targets. Fact is he only got mercy points for his splash into the pond, which is apparently all he can do. He missed all the targets completely on every single attempt.
Now you think oh he must be a novice in his first year, Not quite. I am not sure how long he has been jumping but I am guessing over 5 years.
So then why are his canopy skills so poor?
Perhaps its because his interests ly elsewhere, such as having competitions to see who can eat the most ecstasy, falsifying USPA numbers and pissing dropzone management enough to get banned. Thats right Mark/Tree has been permanently banned from Skydive Dallas for being, well for being the Mark / Tree you have seen posting here.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

Steel you have the right to voice your opinions...

But so does everyone else.

Slamming someone is low and not needed...

And remember people say the same things about you....

Ron

Exactly. It's hard to keep the emotion out of it. But we need to try. State your point. Let others state their point. Even if they call you a name don't buy into it. Take the higher road. If you feel that further postings won't improve the thread then don't post. You notice how I posted a long time ago and haven't since on that thread? Cuz nothing I have to say will further the thread after what I have already put.

Just a suggestion to all involved.

And signing your posts with "psycho" may also lead people into a different view of your words than you intended.

Chris

I did notice that the post that triggered the last response has been deleted. Two wrongs don't make a right, but the post was a pretty direct response.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>Mark/Tree is a big character who looks like a tree and is about as smart as one.

Last warning - no personal attacks.

>I hate to have to reply to people I don't consider worth talking to.

Then don't waste your time (and ours) by doing so.

Perhaps its because his interests ly elsewhere, such as having competitions to see who can eat the most ecstasy, falsifying USPA numbers and pissing dropzone management enough to get banned.

Making slanderous comment's like this is not only immoral, it is illegal. Acusing someone of partaking inillegal activitie's, especially publicly, can open you up to legal recourse. It also says a lot about your character.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Facts remain as they are. And one fact is that he has been know to brag about his ectasy experience, people who know him I have no doubt have heard him say it himself. Falsifying numbers can easily be traced and his standing in the Pond swoop nationals 2002 is posted on their website. Another fact is that I don't care who he is what he does. All I want if for him to leave me alone and he can't seem to do that.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

OK, that's it. In the future please remember that this is a forum that is used to talk about safety and training issues, not a forum to be used to attack and slander other skydivers.

>Another fact is that I don't care who he is what he does. All I want if
>for him to leave me alone and he can't seem to do that.

And the evidence of this is that you attack him publically and accuse him of being a criminal? If you didn't care you would just let it go, and I hope you can do so in the future.