dbattman

The end of an era- Skydive Monroe

It is with a heavy heart that I must cross-post from our website the final news from Monroe, GA. Although I can only write from my time with the dropzone, I feel I must do so.

More than thirteen years ago a dropzone began to take root at a dusty airstrip with but a van, a rented tandem rig, and a rented plane- the Green Ghost '19G'. Amid the rusty T-hangers the van with the video equipment would sit with a white and pink "Skydive Monroe" banner and the two fledgeling DZOs Bill and Lisa awaiting customers for the "Ride of a Lifetime."

Over time they grew to a thriving operation with a full complement of TI's, AFFI's, rental and student gear and King Air '3BR' hot loading from shortly after 8am until we were pushing night jumps. Ask around the area and many of the local skydiving cadre will tell you they started jumping here years ago.

Twice a year the Casa would visit and the DZ would turn into a tent city with a rocking party. We held our breath and each other when we almost lost Jim and Russel to catastrophic gear malfunctions and Joan to a landing accident. We managed to just hang on after the passing of Andy Dobbs and Bobby (D-911- one of the pioneers).

A recent battle with the city of Monroe over our occupation of the hangar where we've been operating for years month to month after being denied a long term lease has not gone our way and we are now homeless. Lisa kept the doors open for us as long as she could, but like Gold Coast we have been kicked out in favor of 'theoretical' airport expansion and corporate jets. The ultralights went years ago, now it's our turn, and I expect the gliders will be gone by next Spring.

Throughout the whole thing we never lost our spirit, our friendship, and our vibe. We cheered the students, swapped jokes with the tandems on the ride, reveled in the screams on video and raced for the trucks to get off landings, cutaways, and injured jumpers. Rivalries were short lived, mistakes quickly corrected and forgiven, and cross words forgotten almost as fast as they were spoken. We still attract jumpers from far away, even past other larger DZs, who would drive to our dropzone. Why? Because up to the end at Monroe the dropzone was not the hanger, the plane, or the TV.

The dropzone was, and will always be, the SKYDIVERS.

CYRANO
Yes, all my laurels you have riven away
And all my roses; yet in spite of you,
There is one crown I bear away with me,
And tonight, when I enter before God,
My salute shall sweep all the stars away
From the blue threshold! One thing without stain,
Unspotted from the world, in spite of doom
Mine own!--
(He springs forward, his sword aloft)
And that is...
(The sword escapes for his hand; he totters, and
falls into the arms of Le Bret and Ragueneau)

ROXANNE
--That is...

CYRANO
(opens his eyes and smiles up at her)
My white plume...

The final ruling in the hangar lease case came down this morning. We're evicted, effective immediately. All local avenues of appeal have been exhausted, so Skydive Monroe is officially closed.

We still expect the FAA to rule in our favor and force some kind of settlement by the city, but as with the Paris, Tennessee case that could take years, and with no building to operate out of there's no point in trying to keep things running.

BTW, almost all of the jumper lockers still have locks on them (and presumably stuff in them), so if you're one of the locker keepers, you'd better contact Lisa ASAP about collecting your stuff. She'll be at the DZ most of Friday moving out; that may be your last chance.

It was good while it lasted. I hope I see you all again soon.

I close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moment's gone
All my dreams, pass before my eyes, a curiosity
Dust in the wind, all they are is dust in the wind.

Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do, crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see
Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind.

Now don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away, and all your money won't another minute buy
Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind
Dust in the wind, everything is dust in the wind.

Dust in Wind
Kerry Livgren

that sucks, it is hard to loose your home..

you guys come out to the farm, the least we can do is help keep your website up!....... you guys have a forum going there and it would suck for everyone to go there separate way...

im sure we could at least work that out...

I was there when Bill first opened the dz Great place. All of the peeps from monroe come to the farm or thomaston except that weird guy dave:D
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Excellent battman...excellent.

It's a sad time for sure for all of us that called Monroe home. It was a wonderful DZ on all fronts.

I will miss it.[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

As all have said this really sux.I have many great memories of Monroe and the people connected there.What really sux though is there are "laws" in place to keep this from happening and at every turn the DZs across the country are loosing these battles.I know alot of people are sitting there thinking I'm glad it's not my DZ.Yours could be next.It doesn't really matter if the FAA finds that the city was wrong two years after the DZ is forced out.I think maybe a letter writing campain to the FAA to have this looked at is in order.If they are investigating then the action should be put on hold.

Ok,thats my rant.

Damn that sucks.

Monroe was my home DZ away from home when I was stationed at Benning.

My first CASA, King Air, Twin Otter jumps, all happened there.

My BIC Course was there.

I did my first "bigger" ways there (bigger than 4 way).

I met a few frineds and re-met even more there over the 4 years I was around the DZ.

Sad story to hear.:(
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

:( I am so unhappy :(
I discovered Monroe too late and lost it too soon. I had a great time there and felt at home there. The people were more than freindly and excepting and always fun and funny. I will miss Lisa and wish her well.