candace

2006 World Free Fall Convention

My pet peeve wuld be when someone pronounces Illinois the way the OP wrote it. Makes me cringe!:S Could very well be what eeneR was reacting to. Sometimes we can't help ourselves, and that isn't arrogance.

Candace- I agree with Sunshine- you should look into Summerfest. Not the huge variety of aircraft or wild parties that is associated with WFFC and not as many venders/ reps if you are looking to demo or buy new gear, but is a safe, low key boogie and there are organizers for all levels, plenty of rental gear and post jumping activities planned for every evening.

ya..the whole gear thing just sucks for me. [:/][:/] the WFFC sounds soooooooooooooooo fun ;):) & amazing it'd be awesome as heck to go, but unfortunately i don't think this year will be my year.:([:/] majorly sucks, but i've been referred to the SkyFest at Skydive Spaceland in Texas. Suppose to be a lot cheaper & still offer a lot....heard of it?

You heard correct. SkyFest is in its sixth year and we designed the event with jumpers like you in mind.
We will have over a dozen manufacturers attending our event again this year. There will be Demo equipment available as well as rental.
There will also be an auction Saturday night for new and used equipment, we had over $30, 000 worth of items up for grabs last year.

Our flight line is a as follows:
Mike Mullins King Air
Casa
2 Super Otters
3 Hot air balloons
Helicopter (maybe two)
Powered parachute (Instructional flights)
DC-3 on standby
Grand Caravan on stand by

There is something for everyone!

The funds generated from this event are put back into the spoort through coaching jumps for upjumpers and other skydiving activities.

Our website is getting overhauled, should have been done by now but we are working hard on it.

Thank you for your interest and we hope to see you there.

... but is a safe, low key boogie ...

Safe? So skydiving is safe now?

At all events people must use caution. No event is ever like jumping at the home DZ.

But for anyone who cares to take the proper precautions and who has the proper attitude, any event can have an acceptable level of safety.

OK, sorry, you got me there! :$ Skydiving is not safe. As boogies go, everything is relative. Summerfest is a low key alternative to WFFC. Actually, many people attend both boogies since they are relatively close together and at least one weekend tends to overlap.

Ya....I am a newbie as well. I have my own gear, So you would all agree the WFFC is not a good pick? Skyfest i better? Also whats the deal with these boogies are they worth acaully flying across the country for? Or should the newbies find other boogies closer to them. i really want to go, But I am just hesitant to spend 200$ to go to a boogie where I dont know anyone and its not like totally amazing!

-jeff-

Well, one draw of the larger boogies used to be turbine aircraft that many smaller dzs did not have. That's maybe not so much the case anymore- most people don't need to travel across the country to jump a twin otter anymore, but for a chance to do 2 or 3 planes shots, they might. Other plusses include load organizers and meeting new friends. Large boogies like WFFC also have a ton of venders so you can demo gear and maybe get some deals if you are looking to buy. But only you can decide if its worth it and pick one to go to. Skydivers are generally a friendly group, so meeting new friends shouldn't be an issue whereever you go. (Unless you're a total intorvert or a jerk, and even jerks have friends!:P)

Ya....I am a newbie as well. I have my own gear, So you would all agree the WFFC is not a good pick? Skyfest i better? Also whats the deal with these boogies are they worth acaully flying across the country for? Or should the newbies find other boogies closer to them. i really want to go, But I am just hesitant to spend 200$ to go to a boogie where I dont know anyone and its not like totally amazing!

-jeff-

Those are some great questions. I have found that at times a boogie is what you make it as well. Tigra has some great points too. SkyFest will have at least 14 vendors with a gear auction on saturday night. We have a great choice of aircraft, as do WFFC and Summerfest. I do know that our registration is much lower than WFFC's and I would guess that Summerfest is more in line with our price. If you get a chance browse through our website to get some history of SkyFest and what its about. I apologize the site is a little rough right now, but the new one is near launching. If you like PM me with an email address and I can add you to the SkyFest mailing list. The address on the site is down so just pm me.

No matter where you go, be safe and have fun, there are some great people out there that will help you.

Going to the WFFC as a brand new skydiver is a big reason why I'm in the sport today. I was having fun while skydiving, but I was getting frustrated with not being able to do anything, etc. The organizers of Tent Three (it was then tent four) are really amazing people, and they take a lot of time and energy to help out newbies. I'm grateful for them to help me SO much in my skydiving.

A write up of billvon's:
http://www.freefall.com/tent3.htm
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Going to the WFFC as a brand new skydiver is a big reason why I'm in the sport today. I was having fun while skydiving, but I was getting frustrated with not being able to do anything, etc. The organizers of Tent Three (it was then tent four) are really amazing people, and they take a lot of time and energy to help out newbies. I'm grateful for them to help me SO much in my skydiving.

but you live in Chicago! Not too much effort to make WFFC from there. I think a lot of good boogies can do this - for SoCal there's Bridge the Gap at Elsinore.

but you live in Chicago! Not too much effort to make WFFC from there. I think a lot of good boogies can do this - for SoCal there's Bridge the Gap at Elsinore.

When I first went, it was at Quincy, and it was a 6 hour drive. I agree that there are events to help out newbies at many dropzones. The WFFC isn't the only one by any means. I just wanted to show that as a newbie, I had a fantastic time at the Convention, and I learned tons. There really is something special about the Convention, too. It really does feel like a reunion. Yes, in skydiving, you meet people from all over, but that was one of the first times where I really met people from ALL over! :D

So...you are saying its Great, but will I find alot of newbies to chill with and learn some stuff. I dont want to get to WFFC and feel left out. I am leaning more toward Skyfest. Since I will have to fly either way. New Hampshire is kinda in nowhere. haha

Thanks for your help and see you all there!

-jeff-

Going to the WFFC as a brand new skydiver is a big reason why I'm in the sport today.
A write up of billvon's:http://www.freefall.com/tent3.htm

That is sooooo cute! I don't think I knew until now that article was about you. And to think you are such a skygoddess now! We'll see you there.

:D Back then (like it was SOOOO long ago or something) I couldn't have even pictured myself on a 20-way!!!! It's Bill's fault I'm still annoying everyone.

I can't wait for this year!!! It sounds like everyone is going! :D I think I'll try to do a tent a day! :P

ILLINOIS B|

The OP is a low-time jumper who has made 5 posts to DZ.com and is asking legitimate questions about the WFFC. The first reply she gets berates her for not spelling Illinois correctly and provides no useful information. Was that really necessary?

Ditto Doug,
The wffc is a wild and crazy place with numerous
canopies in the sky at any given time, and it's an
expense. 2005 ran me about $1000.00. I think that
packing Cathy might be the one to talk to about
rental rigs. As far as spelling Illenoys wrong, get over
it ppl. Do a search and see how many spell "licence"
wrong. oops I got them both wrong

ILLINOIS B|

The OP is a low-time jumper who has made 5 posts to DZ.com and is asking legitimate questions about the WFFC. The first reply she gets berates her for not spelling Illinois correctly and provides no useful information. Was that really necessary?

Ditto Doug,
The wffc is a wild and crazy place with numerous
canopies in the sky at any given time, and it's an
expense. 2005 ran me about $1000.00. I think that
packing Cathy might be the one to talk to about
rental rigs. As far as spelling Illenoys wrong, get over
it ppl. Do a search and see how many spell "licence"
wrong. oops I got them both wrong

hahaha.....so $1,000ish eh?? that's good to know. i've heard from my first tandem instructor that the air is totally busy and people like to come in from no where or make sharp turns from no where....i can only imagine.:S but i'm sure all the aircrafts are just amazing.....B|:)

I'm trying to get prices for the 2006 World Free Fall Convention but i'm having trouble doing so. i was wondering if any of you who have gone to this know aprox. prices.....i don't have my own gear yet & i don't know if they'll even rent gear out...? any idea on cheapest way to travel from CA to Illinois? & food costs daily? or how long to stay? i need help. :S thanks.

Hey Candace. We should have a bunch of new info up on the website some time this week. Part of the difficulty with setting prices months in advance is that fuel prices dictate jump prices, and fuel has been a volitile commodity lately (no pun intended).]
Anyway, Don is passionate about keeping jump prices at or below last years price, which was 21 bucks for a standard jump from 13,000. There are speciality jumpships, and those prices are higher, as has been stated here before.
The entrance price to the WFFC is still up in the air until this week, when we have our next staff meeting to confirm a NEW LOWER price than last year.
Our food vendors are very reasonable, and the general consensus has been that the quality of good cheap plentiful food is better than any other dz.
We also have a grocery store on site if you would like to buy your groceries and cook for yourself.
You can camp for free in tent city.
Hot showers, cold beer and flush toilets are also free.
There are some shuttles to haul people from point a to point b. They are free, too.
We have load organizers (about 100 of them) at all skill levels, they are free, too.
There is entertainment every night, after the seminars and both of those things are free as well.
We are lucky to have a terrific representation from tons of our manufacturers, and distributors, if you are looking for any gear, they will be happy to help. Many of them have specials just for the convention. We had a French skydiver tell us that he saved enough on the gear purchase to pay for the plane ticket it took to get him to us.
Lots of used gear is for sale here and there all over the grounds.
Our two main landing areas are about 400 feet by 1000 feet each, and we have several additional landing areas if you opt to land else where.
Not sure if I answered enough questions for you, but if you have any others, feel free to pm me!
Beth
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

when we have our next staff meeting to confirm a NEW LOWER price than last year.....We are lucky to have a terrific representation from tons of our manufacturers, and distributors,

Last years(05) vendor fees were a major point of contention for many of the manufacturers in attendance.May I suggest that LOWER prices for vendors be discussed at this meeting as well.Otherwise I predict you will have less than terrific representation from the manufacturers at this years boogie.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

when we have our next staff meeting to confirm a NEW LOWER price than last year.....We are lucky to have a terrific representation from tons of our manufacturers, and distributors,

Last years(05) vendor fees were a major point of contention for many of the manufacturers in attendance.May I suggest that LOWER prices for vendors be discussed at this meeting as well.Otherwise I predict you will have less than terrific representation from the manufacturers at this years boogie.

Hey Lou! Already done! And the manufacturers apparently LOVE the discount, as they are reserving their spaces now.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Hey Lou! Already done! And the manufacturers apparently LOVE the discount, as they are reserving their spaces now.

I hear a lot of the big manufacturers are thinking of not going, due to the high prices and low turnout (Sun Path, PD, Icarus, Precision, RWS...)

Rick

And the manufacturers apparently LOVE the discount, as they are reserving their spaces now.

I was unable to find any new info on the web site about this years vendor fees and I haven't received a reply to my e-mail. I am re-organizing my boogie schedule and I would appreciate it if you could send me vendor information/fees. The word I am hearing on the street is everything but LOVE and definately no mention of the word discount. Please tell me last years feedback from vendors was heeded[:/]
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING