NewGuy2005

Going to Orlando, Need Advice

Hi Folks,
I'm going to Disney World with my wife and kids the week of March 20. I intend to split the time between D.W. and jumping, with the following jumping goals:
1) Get enough jumps in 1 week to get my "A". If not my "A," at least get to self supervision
2) Transition to my gear that I recently bought
I have 9 jumps. (s/l progression) Will probably have 10 or 11 before I go.

Questions:
1) Which DZ is closest to Disney World?
2) Would that DZ be appropriate for the above scenario?
3) What advice do you have to offer?

Thanks,
Ken

Talk to the instructors at your home DZ and the instructional staff at the DZ you choose in Florida. Make sure your paperwork from your home DZ is up to date so that the folks in Florida know where you are in your progression. Also, if the DZ you're visiting doesn't offer S/L progression (note, I'm not sure about this at all) there may be a little more effort to match you up with their program.

Also, think about some wind tunnel time... I did some when I was a student and it helped me a ton!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Titusville is close to Disney and a great dz. They def. get my recommendation for you.

Don't forget about the tunnel. Tunnel time at your stage in the game is fantastic and a super cool new experience.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Since you're trying to work in family time at the same time, I would recommend the closest dz which is Titusville, like Paige said. I don't know how busy they are during the week though, so you might want to ask the dz what your chances are of getting on loads during the week. Your next closest would be Lake Wales. I wouldn't recommend going to Deland in this case because traffic along I-4 will really slow you down in getting back to your family every day.

Edit: if your kids are over age 5, take them and your wife to the tunnel too. They'll love it!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Space Center dont do S/L Progression. Only T & AFF

I was there about 3 weeks ago and during the week it was a little quiet although there was 9 of us that was enough to fill the King Air along with the odd tandem. Even if you cant jump there its only an hours drive from Disney so its well worth popping in just to have a look around

Well they have the nylon city packing area so I would spend time with my kids while I was being packed and waiting for the next load if I had mine with me. There is lots of open area you can play catch in etc. My kids enjoy the DZ so they entertain themselves quite well. If yours want to be doing other things it might make t difficult.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Just got back from Orlando with the family. Basically I planed a day of jumping. So while I was jumping, they were doing other stuff.

I did take my wife to the tunnel and is was a blast. I highly suggest it. Plus it's pretty cheap...$30ish for a two minute intro flight (with coupon--get it on their site).

As far as DZ, I went to Z-hills. The DZ itself was great. I'd never seen a DZ with so many amenities (gear store, food, internet, etc). I did have some things that I wasn't pleased with, actaully annoyed with but I'll chaulk it up to "shit happens".

Overall I'd say just plan a day for jumping (or how many you need) and set up activities for your family.

If you are planning to go to Titusville (Which I recomend) I'd call first to make sure you'll be able tot get in the air, but if you go there, the family can go over and do the NASA tour while you are jumping the fastest jump plane in the country. 15,000 ft in 7-8 minutes.

Mark Klingelhoefer

Mark Klingelhoefer

Great news!! I was talking to the kids about the trip and they both said they did not want to go to Disneyworld, they want to go to the beach!! Man, that will save some serious money. Looks like Titusville wins.

What's the best beach/resort in the area?

Is the week of March 20 the week that theya re overrun with college studebts?

What's the best beach/resort in the area?

Is the week of March 20 the week that theya re overrun with college studebts?

Cocoa Beach is your best bet, that's where I always go. It's just down the road from Titusville. While you are there, hit Ron Jon's Surf Shop. I think it's still the biggest in the US. Kennedy Space Center would definitely be a cool place for the family to go too.

Yes, you will have some college students and also probably some of the local school kids out on Spring Break. But, it's not the "hot" place for college kids to go right now so you should be ok.

Edit: You better start looking for a hotel room now. If you want to be away from the partiers and high prices, don't stay right on the beach. If you stay in Cocoa, Rockledge, Merrit Island or Titusville you'll still be within a 20 min. drive to the beach. If you want to be right on the beach, pay your money and take your chances. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Things to do in the Titusville/Cocoa area: (in no particular order)

Airboat rides
Kennedy Space Center
Ron Jon Surf Shop
NASCAR Fan? Daytona USA (an hour up I 95)
Disney/EPCOT/Universal Studios/Sea World (come on, ya gotta go at least one day - we need the money)
Jungle Adventures in Christmas (that's the name of the town)
The Tunnel - sure, good family fun - then the Slingshot, Universal City Walk, and Ripley's Believe It or Not (all within a mile or two of eachother.
There's a short track in Biflo if you like - might be a race on.
Eat rock shrimp at Dixie Crossroads one evening after the sunset load.

If you don't go home broke, we haven't done our job. ;)

Call Ben in manifest during the week to find out what's going on, and check with Jeremy on what you should expect on your jump progression. Bring video if you have it - it couldn't hurt.

Don't forget to say Hi.

Allen

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.