DJL

Dive blocks vs. Dive loops

Yeah, but at least if you f*ck up with blocks then your canopy goes to normal flight. If your fingers get stuck then you're screwed.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Hands slipping off while you are at 300 feet might force you to have to bail on otherwise great landings. Getting a finger stuck can cause you not to flare... I'm getting 2 sets of risers, one with loops, one with blocks. I'll jump the blocks most the time I think.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Most people I talk to who don't like blocks don't like them because they're bulky when you pack...although I've seen some very low profile designs.

Then there's always the ever present "they don't look cool" argument...which I've heard more than once.

I use them on my CRW rig. They're just Vet-Wrap, but they work like a champ! One note- they do require more hand strength than loops do...but you're not going to get caught up in them.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

If you look at comp rotation crew rigs, you will see blocks. Why? Cos there is no time to look for loops.

As for the lack of hand strength... work on it.

Blocks are bulkier, but WAY safer. No fingers stuck in loops. Also, the release of a block is an open hand movement only - as opposed to an open hand and pull out move, which can (and does) result in the occasional loss of a toggle - with all that that implies.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I have blocks on both my rigs.

I demo'd a canopy in Elsinore in Nov 01 which was fitted with loops.

In a high stress moment I neglected to remove my fingers from the loops. This caused me to front riser into the ground.

The result, as can be seen in my avatar was a dislocated ankle, broken fibula, 3 operations, 8 inches of titanium, 12 screws and 5 months on the ground.

I wont be using anything but blocks from now on.

FWI of the 3 best swoopers on my DZ 2 use loops.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

In a high stress moment I neglected to remove my fingers from the loops. This caused me to front riser into the ground.

I think there are dive loops that pop open once outside the container and keep their open shape, so that the probability of getting stuck in them is lower.

I think there are dive loops that pop open once outside the container and keep their open shape, so that the probability of getting stuck in them is lower.

Like on Wings risers :)

-Kenny

I really think it has to do with the canopy you are jumping, with my cobalt 120 i like to start my dive high, there is no way i am going to hold it with blocks, no way.......
maybe if i had a canopy with lighter riser preasure i would feel different but i like my loops for now.
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

You can do that with any set of dive loops. Just fold them up towards the lines when you're packing and close the container with them in that position. They'll take a set like that and "pop" open when the risers come out. If you keep packing them like that, they'll keep popping out. With that said, blocks are still safer.

On another point. There is no canopy out there that can't be flown with blocks...you might just need to work on your arm strength a bit, that's all;)

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."